THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Just bought a house, doing a complete remodel.. need ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a house, doing a complete remodel.. need ideas...

Well i just bought my first house, finished paperwork yesterday

Im looking for general tips and ideas for lighting...

I am thinking of doing recessed lighting with dimmer switches....

In the living room i want to do a few lights above the tv on a separate switch, above the seating area (couch and chairs) on a separate dimming switch, and the rest of the living room on a separate dimming switch.... basically three switches for each area of the living room.

Then for the bathroom i was gonna do a lightbar above the vanity/medicine cabinet, recessed lights above the Jacuzzi on a separate dimmer, and the rest of the bathroom with recessed lights on a dimmer switch... again 3 light switches, 2 of them dimmers.

the kitchen above the sink i was gonna do a lightbar and recessed lighting in the rest of the kitchen....

the bedrooms i was gonna put recessed lighting throughout with a dimmer switch.....

I will have a BUNCH of outlets along all walls, I bought a 200amp 40 slot circuit box today, a pallet of studs, 1000ft of 14-2 wire, 250ft 14-2 wire, a couple cases of standard 20 amp outlets, a case of GFCI outlets, a case of dimmer switches, a case of standard switches, a case of junction/switch boxes, couple boxes of t20 screws, ordered cabinets/counter tops, ordered new washer/dryer/dishwasher/refrigerator, and some other stuff to get me started... lol

I am also gonna do inset shelves throughout the house and an inset area for the TV and speakers... inwall cabinets, ect.....

What do you guys think? What are your opinions?

Im just looking for ideas... post up pics of your house if ya got them!!!

I just started gutting the house today... should have it gutted in a few days and will start building soon!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulation!!! Your plan Sounds good..Just make sure you use higher end/up to date stuff since you are doing the labor yourself...Watch HGTV if you have it for a week...Alot of good ideas on there from multiple shows..lol..

My house that I sold 2 1/2 yrs ago..From the front (this is what a $455,000 house in San Diego looks like )I did the new fence and gates

Livingroom with new canned lights,Real hardwood,slate,crown molding,base&casing

Master Bedroom and completely remodled/gutted master tiny bath (ALL work done by me and the misses)

Old 12-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulation!!! Your plan Sounds good..Just make sure you use higher end/up to date stuff since you are doing the labor yourself...Watch HGTV if you have it for a week...Alot of good ideas on there from multiple shows..lol..

My house that I sold 2 1/2 yrs ago..From the front (this is what a $455,000 house in San Diego looks like )I did the new fence and gates

Livingroom with new canned lights,Real hardwood,slate,crown molding,base&casing

Master Bedroom and completely remodled/gutted master tiny bath (ALL work done by me and the misses)

During remodel

Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after my heart...i love dimming and recessed lights. I of course do it for a living so I kind of go overboard with it myself. I never really liked anything hanging over the sink in the kitchen. I put recessed lights right over my sink. But to each their own. Don't let anybody talk you out of what you'll like. Do under cabinet lighting with a switch. Use LED for low power and safety but more importantly looks awesome when lit and nothing else is on.

cove lighting is cool and really sets the mood..no visual fixtures but light is in the room. you can even put rope light in a cove and put on a dimmer. like mentioned above, pretty good ideas on tv shows and the internet as well.

build a network of low voltage cables so as technology moves on so can you. use category 5e for phones and pc's. if you can, use "ENT" or plastic flexible conduit to do your TV low voltage areas. This way you can always expand your data needs. If you build a closet for AV equipment, don't forget to ventilate it, it will get VERY hot and shorten life of equipment.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Restricted User

dewmanshu,

GOOD TIPS!

This will be my first complete remodel of a house, i have done small projects like adding a room in a basement but have never gutted a whole house and started with new...

Leaving the ability to expand/grow with ease is an excellent idea!!!! Thanks!

RibeiroBJJ,

I cant imagine spending that much on a house!!!! I plan on only having a total investment of $40-50K into mine when its done, I only paid $15k for the house hahahahahaha (although i wont be going "all-out" high dollar stuff in the house.... but at the same time nothing will be halfassed)

I live in BFE where the average house is around $80k to $130k.... crazy differences in prices!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thin that I can think is that 14 ga. Is only rated to 15 amps isn't it? I though that 12 ga. Is for 20 amp outlets and 14 is for 15 amp. As long as you don't overload it you should be fine I would think.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by dmelvin
The only thin that I can think is that 14 ga. Is only rated to 15 amps isn't it? I though that 12 ga. Is for 20 amp outlets and 14 is for 15 amp. As long as you don't overload it you should be fine I would think.
Yes you are correct....

I will only be running 4-6 outlets per breaker in common areas and in the kitchen bathroom i will only be running 2 outlets per breaker.

I have lived where i popped breakers all the time, and HATED it! lol

The plan is to excessively overdue the electrical side of things lol...

I will have dedicated breakers and 12-2 for every outlet in my shop though! But i cant start the shop on the empty lot till i get done with the house (damn wife anyway hahahaha, she knows if i start the shop ill never finish the house)
Old 12-25-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
Yes you are correct....

I will only be running 4-6 outlets per breaker in common areas and in the kitchen bathroom i will only be running 2 outlets per breaker.

I have lived where i popped breakers all the time, and HATED it! lol

The plan is to excessively overdue the electrical side of things lol...

I will have dedicated breakers and 12-2 for every outlet in my shop though! But i cant start the shop on the empty lot till i get done with the house (damn wife anyway hahahaha, she knows if i start the shop ill never finish the house)
Ok, good to know that I haven't forgotten everything from my bathroom remodel. Sounds like you've got the plan set, good luck and keep us updates, you may drum up some general contractor work for yourself.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Restricted User

Made some progress today.... cant wait till im done with all this lath and plaster! I really enjoy the building, so hopfully i get done with the demolition soon!!!

Some of the things you find/see when doing demolition will really amaze you, hahahahahahahahahahah!

3 heaping pickup loads of torn off plaster removed, still have all the lath left to get out..... im only about halfway done with the upstairs... I got quite a bit done though since it was just me and the little help i got from my 8 year old daughter.

My daughter was getting VERY bored and was ready to go home so we called it a day.

Last edited by 1BAD_LS1; 12-26-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 PM
I hate my cats

I completely agree with Dewmanshu, but I'll add something that an older dude told me awhile ago. Spend the money on making you house efficient before you put in too much fancy ****. Like if you are doing any insulating, buy the best you can there, even if it means you can't afford the nice light fixtures or countertops right away. If your house is that much cheaper to live in, you can save up and get the fancy stuff later on. I also think that houses should be classy rather than trendy. Trends come and go, class lasts.

Quick Reply: Just bought a house, doing a complete remodel.. need ideas...