THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Just bought a house, doing a complete remodel.. need ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
I completely agree with Dewmanshu, but I'll add something that an older dude told me awhile ago. Spend the money on making you house efficient before you put in too much fancy ****. Like if you are doing any insulating, buy the best you can there, even if it means you can't afford the nice light fixtures or countertops right away. If your house is that much cheaper to live in, you can save up and get the fancy stuff later on. I also think that houses should be classy rather than trendy. Trends come and go, class lasts.
I agree that making the house efficient is a very big priority....

I have insulation blow into the walls and attic already... will be putting roll in insulation on the interior walls (probably R-15)...

I am making great progress considering im a one-man crew lol....... i am gonna have to buy a case of beer and bribe some friends to help hang the drywall though hahahahaha..

Im going to have the furnace/ac replaced really soon... probably going to go with a high efficiency system with a heat pump... anybody have any experience with the heat pumps and how well they work? are they worth the extra money?

after i buy sheetrock im gonna be tapped out on the funds for a while... hahahahaha

then i still need to buy:
lighting
trim
jacuzzi
toilet
vanity
mirror/medicine cabinet
tile
cement board
moisture barier (for shower floor/walls)
a bag of cenment (for shower floor)
carpet

and a million other things that i dont know i need yet (hahahahahahahahaha)

Last edited by 1BAD_LS1; 12-28-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Concerning your thoughts on TV lighting. Myself I have personally found that lighting behind the TV works wonders. It makes watching your TV at night easier on your eyes and it helps to set a nice low light in the room. I have two wall mounted flat screens with small fluorescent lights mounted behind them to give a slight glow around the TV. Works like a charm.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Concerning your thoughts on TV lighting. Myself I have personally found that lighting behind the TV works wonders. It makes watching your TV at night easier on your eyes and it helps to set a nice low light in the room. I have two wall mounted flat screens with small fluorescent lights mounted behind them to give a slight glow around the TV. Works like a charm.
yep thats the plan is to reduce the strain on my eyes ... if its completely dark and im watching tv it strains my eyes and gives me a headache..... and i hate headaches lol..
Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

We have a heat pump system at the house it good. The way are is set up is it use a small eletric heater like the reg central heat and air system then when it can not heat the house it kicks in the heat pump.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 AM
The House is Rockin'

im deep into a re-model right now myself. i do it for a living, but now im doing my own home that i just purchased. it is funny tho when you start gutting stuff out and finding all crap that these *professionals* screwed up
Old 12-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
im deep into a re-model right now myself. i do it for a living, but now im doing my own home that i just purchased. it is funny tho when you start gutting stuff out and finding all crap that these *professionals* screwed up
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I hear you on that one....

Although im no "professional" i have been finding ALOT of things nowhere near satisfactory....

But now that its all gutted i can fix everything
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Hey - Your wife called........... she said it was ok to buy that Hydrualic lift for the side of the garage
Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really like the tankless water heaters, pretty efficient and never run out of hot water, just a thought-