THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Keep the AK or sell it and buy/build an AR15?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keep the AK or sell it and buy/build an AR15?

Went to Cabelas today and came very close (too close) to dropping $750 on a DPMS AR15 they had. I could afford it, but I've been doing my best to try to save money lately.

But I convinced myself if I could sell my AK to recoop some of the costs, that it was acceptable to get an AR. I go to the range when I can, when it's nice weather maybe twice a month. I've already got a decent stock of ammo for the AK (~600 rounds), and the ammo for it is CHEAP. I'd have to completely restock on ammo (.223) for the AR, and it is a fair amount more expensive.

So for those of you who own ARs, or have owned both, what do you think? I'd probably sell the AK for $400ish, maybe more if I included all the ammo. Would it be worth it to "upgrade" to an AR? Is it really an upgrade, or just perceived? It's obviously a finer weapon and more accurate, but there is not a more reliable weapon made than the AK.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I vote both. I know you agree.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ak> ar
ak is cheap to shoot, reliable in just about any weather conditions.
it might not be as tacti-cool looking and as accurate as the ar but i think it is just a more enjoyable firearm

ar is more expensive to shoot, parts are more expensive. there is a huge market for assecories so any tactical mod you can think off can be added to it. it is more accurate, but if it is dirty you will get jams.

although i love the AR platform and would love to build one, im more of a just go out and shoot **** so the AK takes my vote.

go out and shoot some ARs before you commit to building one
Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
9 Second Truck Club

I prefer the AR because it has less kick, looks better, and will still kill you the same as an AK.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by Black'Rado
ak> ar
ak is cheap to shoot, reliable in just about any weather conditions.
it might not be as tacti-cool looking and as accurate as the ar but i think it is just a more enjoyable firearm

ar is more expensive to shoot, parts are more expensive. there is a huge market for assecories so any tactical mod you can think off can be added to it. it is more accurate, but if it is dirty you will get jams.

although i love the AR platform and would love to build one, im more of a just go out and shoot **** so the AK takes my vote.

go out and shoot some ARs before you commit to building one
I've shot one before, and have shot my fathers Mini-14 (.223) so I'm familiar with the rifle and the caliber. I really love to shoot my AK, it's a fantastic firearm for the money, but the AR is much more refined. If I could own both, I would, but honestly with my budget one or the other is a better option for me.

I know the AR jams more (if not taken care of) and is much more expensive to shoot/fix/buy, but it is a rather attractive weapon and has a large following (although somewhat snobby and fanboyish). I'm still really debating what direction I'd like to go in the semi-auto rifle world. I think I get more of a thrill when people see me shooting it at the range vs a run of the mill AR, but the AR has more high quality accessories available to it while most AK accessories are cheap plastic parts.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by tarinitup
I prefer the AR because it has less kick, looks better, and will still kill you the same as an AK.
I own an AK74, which fires the 5.45x39. It has literally zero kick compared to the 7.62 round.

New Hornady Vmax 5.45x39

Other pics of AK

Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Saiga 12 owns all!

Yea its a hard toss up between the 2.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each gun has its merits. An AK, by design, is going to be more durable than even a Piston operated AR. Many have argued otherwise, but it is because they don't want to admit that their $2500 AR is less durable than a $500 AK. I have literally seen a Somalian trip and fall and bend the barrel of an AK, and then BEAT IT STRAIGHT WITH A ROCK, and keep firing. They will work whether covered in dirt, mud, water, rust, sand mayonase, and any other substance you care to dunk it in. As long as the bolt cycles, it will go bang when you pull the trigger. AR's have been touted as being far superior, both ballistically, and in accuracy. I will agree, the .223 is a much flatter and further shooting round than 7.62x39, however the new 5.45 is almost a match for .223. As far as ammo price, if you buy Mil-surp 7.62, it is way cheap. Like $200 for 1000 rounds. 223 is considerably more expensive, but can still be found for a reasonable price. Either one is not going to be .22 cheap, but it's not going to break the bank. The AR is going to be more accurate than a base model AK, however, unless we are talking about sticking the gun in a ransom rest with an electronic trigger, either gun will be more accurate than the shooter in most cases. Each gun has more accessories for them than you can shake a stick at. All in all, I think it really just comes down to personal preference. If you take care of your AR, it will outlast you. It just requires a little more preventative maintenance and care than an AK.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I hate my cats

Is that a holographic site, Scott? I'd vote AK. I'd have one if Canadian laws (and my wife) would let me to celebrate my Russian heritage.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

DAMN sick AK man some guy on GMFS had like two for sale a while back, i'll be looking into getting one soon when money alows it....

Quick Reply: Keep the AK or sell it and buy/build an AR15?