THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Keep the AK or sell it and buy/build an AR15?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed Cummins
Each gun has its merits. An AK, by design, is going to be more durable than even a Piston operated AR. Many have argued otherwise, but it is because they don't want to admit that their $2500 AR is less durable than a $500 AK. I have literally seen a Somalian trip and fall and bend the barrel of an AK, and then BEAT IT STRAIGHT WITH A ROCK, and keep firing. They will work whether covered in dirt, mud, water, rust, sand mayonase, and any other substance you care to dunk it in. As long as the bolt cycles, it will go bang when you pull the trigger. AR's have been touted as being far superior, both ballistically, and in accuracy. I will agree, the .223 is a much flatter and further shooting round than 7.62x39, however the new 5.45 is almost a match for .223. As far as ammo price, if you buy Mil-surp 7.62, it is way cheap. Like $200 for 1000 rounds. 223 is considerably more expensive, but can still be found for a reasonable price. Either one is not going to be .22 cheap, but it's not going to break the bank. The AR is going to be more accurate than a base model AK, however, unless we are talking about sticking the gun in a ransom rest with an electronic trigger, either gun will be more accurate than the shooter in most cases. Each gun has more accessories for them than you can shake a stick at. All in all, I think it really just comes down to personal preference. If you take care of your AR, it will outlast you. It just requires a little more preventative maintenance and care than an AK.
Thank you for the reply

I might just hold out and piece an AR together over time so the $$$ doesn't hit all at once.

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
Is that a holographic site, Scott? I'd vote AK. I'd have one if Canadian laws (and my wife) would let me to celebrate my Russian heritage.
It's a cheap red dot sight. I'm thinking about getting rid of it and getting something better or a lower powered scope.

Originally Posted by GueroRSCB
DAMN sick AK man some guy on GMFS had like two for sale a while back, i'll be looking into getting one soon when money alows it....
Thanks If you need any help deciding on one to get, I can help you out. There are a lot of AKs out there that are junk. Now mine isn't great, but I'd say it's probably middle of the road as far as common AKs go, and I got it for a steal!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill take the AK for ya Scott.... then you can get your AR. $5 good?

Seriously... I want an AR, but like everyone said they are expensive. Your AK seems pretty solid and I think you should keep it...but if you do want to get rid of it, I'd take it.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have built several AR-15's for under 700 bucks......look bitchen, accurate, light, and when the **** hits the fan it will be the ammo to have.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I have built several AR-15's for under 700 bucks......look bitchen, accurate, light, and when the **** hits the fan it will be the ammo to have.
Pre or post obama prices?

I'd be down to build my own AR if I bought a complete factory upper. Don't want to have to buy the tools to install barrel or risk setting up the upper wrong. Everything else doesn't look too bad.

Got any recommendations on reading, or any advice if I decide to go that route?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

first off i vote AK cuz its a mans gun and will cut anything in half, second ARs are cool and all but ppl here in ontario use them for shooting wild dogs and fox's cuz there accurate and like stated before light. id own both if possible but ill just keep my Tika 300 short mag for now
Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by blackcash
Due to stupid Canadian laws, I can't have the AK, but I do have an SKS. Not a fan of the 7.62x39. Not really a fan of the .223 either though. If I had to choose I'd take the .223 though, just because I do a lot more long range shooting.

Mine doesn't fire a 7.62x39
Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

ugh I guess I should pay closer attention my bad.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep the AK.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
Keep the AK.
Now I'm thinking more and more about keeping the AK and building/buying an AR. Haha, we'll see.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:00 AM
12 Second Truck Club

have a dpms ar15 for about a year now. love it. the ak's recoil is a pain to me for follow up shot accuracy and getting back on target after rapid fire. If you want to save SERIOUS money in ammo do like almost everyone does and get the cmmg .22lr conversion and pay 15 bucks at walmart for 550 rounds. It can be converted back and forth in about 5 seconds. U can get the conversion for 100 and a mag for 20 online at Botach right now. It pays for it self after the first box of .22's are shot

Quick Reply: Keep the AK or sell it and buy/build an AR15?