THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Keep the AK or sell it and buy/build an AR15?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I've got several of both and prefer the AK. The AR is fun to shoot too, but it's an absolute bitch to clean.
I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun cleaning it, but as long as I don't have to use rods and patches I don't mind cleaning after shooting.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried using Barnes CR-10? That cut my cleaning time down to about twenty minutes. Fifteen minutes of that is letting the stuff soak in.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun cleaning it, but as long as I don't have to use rods and patches I don't mind cleaning after shooting.
I break my bolt and bolt carrier completely down after shooting. It really is amazing how dirty the stuff gets just after a couple hundred rounds. I do use patches and a rod as well...it's just too hard for me to get down in too all the crevices and what not.

The AK on the other hand I just wipe off the innards with a paper towel. A little dab of marine grease on the rails annually or so (lol)....compared to copious CLP on the AR.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I break my bolt and bolt carrier completely down after shooting. It really is amazing how dirty the stuff gets just after a couple hundred rounds. I do use patches and a rod as well...it's just too hard for me to get down in too all the crevices and what not.

The AK on the other hand I just wipe off the innards with a paper towel. A little dab of marine grease on the rails annually or so (lol)....compared to copious CLP on the AR.
Have you tried converting it to a piston operation? From what I've seen, it's a hell of a lot easier to clean.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

^ This. If you're gonna sell an AK to buy an AR it damn well better be a piston AR. IMO you never sell reliability... And an AK is damn reliable.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by usmc3521
Have you tried converting it to a piston operation? From what I've seen, it's a hell of a lot easier to clean.
I have never experienced an AR malfunction in thousands of rounds. I keep everything clean and well lubricated. The DI design works wonderfully.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cleaning an AR? whats that?

I just keep adding mobil 1 to mine, they dont have to be clean to work. Just need to be run wet. Its pretty messy but it works great.

We run Mobil 1 5w-30 or Breakfree LUBRICANT/PRESERVATIVE.
The breakfree stuff was designed for automatic military cannons that fired nonstop and got really hot. We use it on all our machine guns and it works wonders even after everything else has burnt off.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of mags are you guys using? I got a C-Products mag today, was told they make damn good mags.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
What kind of mags are you guys using? I got a C-Products mag today, was told they make damn good mags.
I've got many of the C products mags. They're okay. One I had was defective, but C products mailed me a new one at no charge to me.

Pmags are probably the best mags out there, considering cost.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Forgot to add, If I was buying mags now I'd get the Bravo company metal mags with the magpul enhanced followers. I prefer the metal mags to polymer.

Quick Reply: Keep the AK or sell it and buy/build an AR15?