THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Laptop needs a new HD and OS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Laptop needs a new HD and OS

Long story short my laptop got knocked off the table byt he dog and now it doesnt work well. Sometimes it works fast, other times its painfully slow and locks up. On one occasion it took 22 mintues for the desktop to load up after turning it on. I ran a scan and it has almsot 200 bad sectors on the HD, and I get errors all the time from programs locking up that are linked to those bad sectors. I want to put a new HD in it and go back to XP Pro, I hate Vista, so how do I go about doing all this stuff. Ive never replaced a HD before or got a brand new HD working and laoding the OS on it. My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6000, I bought it in August of 07, does anyone have a copy of XP Pro, Office I could get from them? If I need to I can mail it to someone on here to take care of it, if it requires alot of expertise to do. I could do some searching on the internet and figure it out myself, but it took 4 minutes just to load the new thread template to post this thread. If the computer speeds back up today then Ill do some searching. Im computer dumb, so be easy on me.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Oh forgot to ask what HD do I need to buy for this thing? Currently it has a 160GB HD in it, I would like to keep that capacity or more so I can save DVDs to my HD.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll probably have to buy a new factory HD....generally for laptops the packaging of the hard drive makes them non-universal. I highly doubt that you'll find an easy way to swap back to XP on that laptop. HP offers no support that I'm aware of for it's newer laptops and XP. When I did the swap back to XP I ended up finding an HP laptop forum where some of the guys made their own drivers for XP since HP wouldn't do it. Mine is a dv9000-something, so I don't think they would work for you. I don't have any of the info with me at work, but I can look it up when I get home.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM

So if you buy a new blank HD, you cant just load XP on it? Like I said Im computer retarded, so I need to practically be spoon fed this **** How do I find out what HD I have in this thing?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:22 PM
High on diesel fumes

The problem is with driver support for the hardware in your computer. If there are no drivers available to make the hardware talk to the OS (Windows XP), it won't work. You can install the OS, but your CD drive, internet, display, sound card, etc etc won't work right.

There should be a way for you to pull the hard drive out through one of the panels in the bottom or on the side.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:29 PM
High on diesel fumes

Check this doc....looks like it has instructions for taking your computer apart.

http://www.comdac.com/literature/hpl...v6120ussvc.pdf

Hard drive info starts on page 5-7
Old 04-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Moderately Differentiated

yeah but if the hardware is XP friendly I don't understand why it would be a problem. You are saying the hardware on VISTA machines is ONLY VISTA driver supported only? it dont compute. But I am no expert either. I would never buy a VISTA machine anyway, but just curious why the hardware wouldn't have XP driver support. Especially if you installed and then did all your XP updates.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 PM

Only problem is, once I start pulling **** apart I dont have internet until I get it back up and running unless I drive 40min to a friends house, all my other friends just use the internet at work so I have no way of figuring this **** out once I tear into it. So it sounds like I have to go back with Vista, I cant stress enough how much I hate Vista, I have no idea what the hell MS was thinking when they made Vista. Chris I have an old laptop(~2.5-3yrs old) that is slow and just doesnt work right, its a Toshiba, do you think you could fix it if I sent it to you? Id be willing to pay you. It needs a new CD drive too. If I got that one working I could use it if I ran into any problems with the one Im on right now, and once this one is fixed I could use the old one just for tuning.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to contact hp for a drivers disk to everything
on the laptops motherboard, audio, video, lan, modem, chip set and so on.
if it is running a sata connection you will need the raid driver disk as well.
the new xp pro cd will not have them.

you should be able to pick up an 80 gig drive for cheap for a replacement.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
yeah but if the hardware is XP friendly I don't understand why it would be a problem. You are saying the hardware on VISTA machines is ONLY VISTA driver supported only? it dont compute. But I am no expert either. I would never buy a VISTA machine anyway, but just curious why the hardware wouldn't have XP driver support. Especially if you installed and then did all your XP updates.
What I'm saying is that HP will not release XP drivers for it's Vista machines. Vista drivers are different than XP drivers, and the MFG is generally the one who releases the drivers. When HP decides not to support XP on it's Vista machines, they don't write the interface to make the laptop hardware work with Windows XP. The hardware can do it no problem as long as there are drivers.

Quick Reply: Laptop needs a new HD and OS