THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

law for smoked tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default law for smoked tail lights?

does anyone know the actual law for tail lights? not what a cop has told them but the actual law? i have been stopped 3 times in the past month for my tail lights being smoked, but ive read a post somewhere and it says they have to be visible for 500 feet which mine ARE, but yet i keep geting harassed about them, i dont get tickets just warning but its seriously starting to get old quick so i want to findout or does anyone have a link to a page i can print out with the actual law stated?? i admit my tail lights are dark , but the light clearly shines through them IMO

also tonight the officer that stopped me for them told me my tint was too dark because he put my lisence behind it and claimed he couldnt see it, then told me hed do me a favor and just give me a warning, then when i asked if he could put the meter on it he said his was dead, could he have actually given me a ticket without using the meter?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the fact you can't see the reflectors when you smoke the tails. That's why. Also just cutting your tailpipe off and dumping the stock muffler is illegal. But something like tinted tails is a easy way to have probable cause to pull ya over
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can see my reflector, well i can anyways i dont know about them cause i didnt ask, dont care to be a smartass to a cop, the probable cause doesnt bother me, its the CONSTANT "oh ill give you a warning this time" i mean if its illegal i can understand it, but if they are within the limits or however you want to put it is what im trying to findout. if they are in fact too dark, ill just sand em down and not tint them as dark. but if they are fine as is i want to print out the law stating they are just incase i get a dick head that wants to give me a ticket just because he can and keep it in my glove box. cops now days are just out to write tickets for any and everything reguardless if its actually illegal or not. the badge gets to their head.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and dont quote me on this, i just thought of it after i submited that, my buddy that works at the jail said its the front that has to have reflectors, not the back. not sure of how true that is but just thought id mention it incase someone chimes in and it brings to their attention to mention if it is or not
Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bandit, I don't know what state you live in, but there are probably 10 or 15 variations of the tail light visibility & window tint percentage laws out of the 50 states. Look up your states vehicle code. If your tint on your tail lights & windows is legal, then cite the law chapter & verse to the next cop who pulls you over.

As far as whether he could give you a ticket without checking your tint with the meter? Again I don't know what state you live in, but in my state they can't because they can't "prove" it to the judge without the meter reading. The cop trying to read your license through the tint might be his assinine way of trying to determine approximately how much tint you have on there, but I'm about 90% sure that reading your drivers license through the tint isn't written in your states vehicle code, so he was just messin with you.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your state on the net. Pretty much any window tint is illegal. I have never seen any that would pass. They could write you a ticket for it, but could lose if it went to trial. More than likely his way of telling you to take it off.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

illegal. in texas atleast.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Illegal everywhere. A light is dot approved. When it's smoked and you can't see the reflectors it's illegal. Notice in blacked out light from aftermarket has big reflectors shining
Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02gmcbandit
and dont quote me on this, i just thought of it after i submited that, my buddy that works at the jail said its the front that has to have reflectors, not the back. not sure of how true that is but just thought id mention it incase someone chimes in and it brings to their attention to mention if it is or not
That's cause some cars like 4th gen camaros have that reflector piece in the back bumper on the side. That's so a car coming at you at night knows somewhat were the back is and something to catch your eye
Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jared91
illegal. in texas atleast.

I got pulled over a while back and the cop wanted to write me a warning, and I argued, and he pulled out his manual and said it has to be visible from 1000ft, and that you should be able to see a change between normal and braking from a quarter mile or something.

Doubt cops would know dot regulations

Quick Reply: law for smoked tail lights?