THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Lets talk about big life decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lets talk about big life decisions

Well I finally reached a point in my life where Im at a split in the road, each way could signicantly decide how the rest of my life is finacially, emotionally, etc. Heres my situation, I currently attending college to be a steel fabricator and welder. I love the course, I wouldnt go so far as to say that I find it all easy, but its at the difficulty level that I really enjoy, I really enjoy welding and fabricating stuff but when Im done school there wont be much around that will pay more then the $18-20/hr range once fully qualified.

Now my other option is a job that I applied to before starting school in September but didnt get notice wether I got the job or not untill about 4 days before Christmas. Now Ive been doing this job for the last 2 weeks on my Christmas break, this job is for the Canadian National Railway which is one of the largest railways in North America. The pay is great at 25/HR Starting off especially sence it didnt require any secondary education (college, university, etc) Now the pay is awsome, and working at this job I could afford alot of the stuff I always wanted, cars, trucks, bikes whatever, but the thing is I find it kind of boring compared to metal fabrication.

So should I quite my course in metal fabrication and a job I know I will enjoy but only making average wages, or should I go for a job with awsome pay that I dont enjoy as much? I also forgot to mention the better paying job Ill be working the graveyard shift untill I get some senority. I know money and items arent everything but with the lower pay I wont have much to play around with.

Your guys critisism, opinions and advice is greatly greatly welcomed.....by the way I basically have to make up my mind by tuesday
Old 01-01-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how in need is either job? is either one something that will always be needed and therefor no danger of loosing? imo, i would go with the job makin 25 an hour, and save and still go to school durin the day.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Take the RR job, you will have benefits, opportunity to move up and every day will go towards a good retirement. Keep the love of welding and fabrication alive by playing with it when you're off. Retire and start your own fab shop. Good luck, I don't generally suggest against education but in this case it may be you best bet.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:56 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Do what you like to do. There is more to life than money and being happy is one of them.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

a railroad job is the job to take.

you know how to weld so that is your backup. skill welders around here make $30 a hour if they are certified

but this RR job can be a once in a lifetime thing.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I would stick with the RR job definitely. It's a good opportunity for excellent pay and benefits.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldnt get a job doing what you like to do/hobby. I been a line tech for toyota for about a year now (something I always wanted to do - work on cars). Now the ***** getting old.

I say RR job and do fabing on your days off.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Where's the Beef?

I say take the RR job but try to complete your courses for Welding and fabrication which you may be able to apply in the RR job and move up the ladder quicker.
At the very least, if you complete the course you will have something certified that you could apply later.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

$5 an hour pay difference isn't worth doing something that you don't like doing. What are the differences in benefit options that each job has?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

Originally Posted by viciousknid
I say take the RR job but try to complete your courses for Welding and fabrication which you may be able to apply in the RR job and move up the ladder quicker.
At the very least, if you complete the course you will have something certified that you could apply later.
I would love to finish school and get my welding tickets. I can strike arcs and lay nice beads but if your not certified up here you cant get jack for welding or fabrication jobs. I would love to have the job and finish school but I dont think I can handle 16 hour days everyday for the next 6 months

Originally Posted by thiems
$5 an hour pay difference isn't worth doing something that you don't like doing. What are the differences in benefit options that each job has?
Steel fabrication starting pay is about 14/hr fully qualified is approx 18/hour
Railroad starting pay is 25/hr fully qualified pay is 31.50/hr at the moment

so 10+/hr more

Railroad = unionized, benefits, wicked pension, job security, honestly its not very hard work, lots of opportunity for overtime and advancement

Steel fab = union, some benefits, Ill have welding tickets, many different job opportunities, doing one of the things I love, monday-friday 8-4 or 9-5 job

And I wouldnt say I dont like doing it, its just not as interesting, little on the boring side

Last edited by Chevy Cowboy; 01-01-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about big life decisions