THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Lets talk about big life decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:29 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the choices u hav e ill take the rr job hands down
Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend both if you can handle it! At a young age I worked two jobs and was always on the run. I think that both opportunities have plus sides and you have to do what you think is right. Best of luck. Vince
Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 PM
I hate my cats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The railroad needs welders, so if you could work and still go to school, that'd be pretty sweet. Then you'd have an extra ticket in your wallet and could command a slightly higher wage! But here's some stuff to think about. I used to make quite a bit more money when I was trucking full time, as well as farming. Trucking also kept me away from my chick... I'm still comfortable, and I wish I had a bit more money like everyone else, but my wife and I are waaay happier now that I'm home. It sounds cliche, but money isn't everything.

On the other hand, money IS important, and with an extra $200 a week, you can buy lots of tools and projects to work on when you're not railroading...

One last thing to consider: Some friends of mine have a dad who worked for CN since he was about 20. He was 3 years from retirement a few years ago, as were most of the guys who worked in the yard with him. So CN shut the yard down and gave them all a forced early retirement. At 56 he got to go job hunting again. Nothing's guaranteed.

On a side note, how about that Canadian dollar? Woo hoo!

On another side note, what would a decent bachelor pad be worth out there on the east coast? Are houses stupid expensive like they are here in Saskabush?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

My dad is UPRR retired for about 2yrs now and he said welders work there @ss off but get paid good money. He was track labor foreman and fu*k his pension benefits are great $$$.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
Take the RR job for sure. Talk to an older RR guy, and I am sure he will agree. Also talk to someone that has made a career of welding, and they will agree. I love to weld, and find it very relaxing. If I had to do it for a job for someone else I might feel differently. The welding job will always be there, if you pass up the RR job you will always feel like you missed the opportunity. Good luck either way you choose.
This is a very good idea. I don't have much knowledge about the RR jobs, but I'm sure the opportunities don't come up very often from the sounds of it. I think I'd have to go the RR route and try to continue your education as you can.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
The railroad needs welders, so if you could work and still go to school, that'd be pretty sweet. Then you'd have an extra ticket in your wallet and could command a slightly higher wage! But here's some stuff to think about. I used to make quite a bit more money when I was trucking full time, as well as farming. Trucking also kept me away from my chick... I'm still comfortable, and I wish I had a bit more money like everyone else, but my wife and I are waaay happier now that I'm home. It sounds cliche, but money isn't everything.

On the other hand, money IS important, and with an extra $200 a week, you can buy lots of tools and projects to work on when you're not railroading...

One last thing to consider: Some friends of mine have a dad who worked for CN since he was about 20. He was 3 years from retirement a few years ago, as were most of the guys who worked in the yard with him. So CN shut the yard down and gave them all a forced early retirement. At 56 he got to go job hunting again. Nothing's guaranteed.

On a side note, how about that Canadian dollar? Woo hoo!

On another side note, what would a decent bachelor pad be worth out there on the east coast? Are houses stupid expensive like they are here in Saskabush?

I know alot of poeple dont have nice things to say about CN cause of all the laying off and forced retirement they did years ago, it happened here too, my dad was one that quit before he got laid off in the 80s, since he was rehired about 2 years ago, aswell as a few other former employees, along with new trainees like myself, I know nothing is guranteed but its looking very very good from what Im told by everyone, and I can retire at 55 with a wicked and Im mean wicked pension. My dad says go for it, a few friends are skeptical but Im not sure why, generally people say go for it.

Now as far bachelor pads here there cheap!, but halifax is alot more exspensive then the Moncton region, Im not sure on prices as I havent looked into it yet but Im going with a rough guess at saying you could get a fairly large very comfortable pad for 700ish a month, heat and stuff included I beleive. Now my sister and her husband bought a brand new house last year (not a prefab home) approx 1000 sqft main floor not including basement, hardwood and tile through the whole thing, half of the basement fully finished for 120,000k and within 5 minutes of a brand new elementary school and 10 minutes within the highschool, 5-10 minutes away from the main shopping areas, not sure how that compares to saskatchwan.If you need more info I can look into it more deeply

Now I must say this thread IMO is a prime example of why this site is so great, everyone does not hesitate to give there honest opinions no matter how encouraging or discouraging they may be! and I can honestly say your guys opinion contributed to my final decision. Ill be going into school tomorow to pick up my stuff, say my good byes to my new buddies there, and continue on with the RR, I was skeptical at first but the railroad job has been getting a little better every day, so its looking good! Thanks alot fellas Ill update every once and while and let yas know how its going . And once again thanks alot fellas! Proud to call yas not only friends but my internet family haha!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chevy Cowboy
Well I finally reached a point in my life where Im at a split in the road, each way could signicantly decide how the rest of my life is finacially, emotionally, etc. Heres my situation, I currently attending college to be a steel fabricator and welder. I love the course, I wouldnt go so far as to say that I find it all easy, but its at the difficulty level that I really enjoy, I really enjoy welding and fabricating stuff but when Im done school there wont be much around that will pay more then the $18-20/hr range once fully qualified.

Now my other option is a job that I applied to before starting school in September but didnt get notice wether I got the job or not untill about 4 days before Christmas. Now Ive been doing this job for the last 2 weeks on my Christmas break, this job is for the Canadian National Railway which is one of the largest railways in North America. The pay is great at 25/HR Starting off especially sence it didnt require any secondary education (college, university, etc) Now the pay is awsome, and working at this job I could afford alot of the stuff I always wanted, cars, trucks, bikes whatever, but the thing is I find it kind of boring compared to metal fabrication.

So should I quite my course in metal fabrication and a job I know I will enjoy but only making average wages, or should I go for a job with awsome pay that I dont enjoy as much? I also forgot to mention the better paying job Ill be working the graveyard shift untill I get some senority. I know money and items arent everything but with the lower pay I wont have much to play around with.

Your guys critisism, opinions and advice is greatly greatly welcomed.....by the way I basically have to make up my mind by tuesday
i see your delema, do what i did go out west. i went out to calgary cuz in Ontario the job market is poop. plus im makin 2.5x the money i did back home. out west FTW
Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a few friends that started in the RR, they were the same way as you. They didn't like it, but hey the pay is good, you have to start somewhere.. You need to look into the part as how much will you find work or companies that need a welder or fab guy?? There is some, but you will start the low man there also. Also have to look into the retirement for both fields your looking at.. How about finishing school to, then taking the RR job. That way you have something to fall back on if you find the RR isn't for you..
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

I'm just going to throw this in there again but don't assume the pension they promise you will be the pension you'll get. Plan your own retirement.

Instead of asking people in each business how they like their job currently, ask them where they see the future of each industry going.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do you want to be under a welding hood for 30 years? Take the RR job and keep the fab work as a hobby at home building hot rods etc...
I know of a guy that builds custom smokers/BBQ's as a hobby and side money.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about big life decisions