THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

lets talks about trucks that dont have spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold an 06 Mega cab Cummins, probably the best truck I've ever had. Now that EFI Live is available for the 06+, it has really opened the doors to making some serious clean power.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fords have the most interior room. If you look for a 6.0 powerstroke, you are going to want to do head studs and egr delete at the minimum. Depending on the previous owners maintenance upkeep, a couple of the injectors will take a ****, stuck turbo vanes seem to be a pretty common issue, and the ficm (fuel injection control module) are hit or miss. I had an 06 f250 with a 6" lift and 35s. It got 10mpg around town and 14hwy loaded or not. Loved the truck, hated fixing it...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

If you think they corrected the head stud problem with the 06+ 6.0's I've got a diesel mechanic buddy of mine I'll let ya talk to. LOL. His shop is down the road from my house and I can guarantee you there is at least 3-5 6.0's in his shop every day.

My wife's truck has visited there quite a few times in the past. I'm a little biased, but would buy any diesel but a 6.0. My wife's is not modded in any way and not driven hard. At this point we can't even hook up to our horse trailer without throwing a code, though it drives pretty good without trailer. We spent about 5K on it last Christmas, and that was not head stud issue. We've had ongoing issues with this truck since we bought it. She is going to be trading it in in a few months on a 2012-2012 Ram Cummins (its what she wants so she can get a 6 speed manual.)
Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

i read someone where that they fixed the head stud problem in 06? i was told to stay the hell away from 03.5-04 for sure
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought that if you keep the tune mild and get rid of egr, it shouldn't kill the head gaskets. As far as earlier ones, my uncle had an 03-04 and the whole motor became scrap. Don't remember the exact cause. Lots of issues with his.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can get over the nasty interior and ugly exterior of the 06 dodges thats what I would get. I just cant get over the asthetics of them and theyre small inside unless you get the megacab which comes with the midget bed. Dont let the front end issues of GM IFS scare you away, all the HD trucks have front end issues. Obviously the SFA trucks have more flex though, and when set up properly can ride just as nice as IFS. What exactly are going to be your uses for it, that might help me answer your question better.

Interior space
Offroad
Towing ability
Bed space
Lift
Racing
How far exactly do you want to take the power

That should do it
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
06-07 LBZ trucks are the most reliable out there overall. Absolutely loved mine and regret selling it every day. Wheelbearings and tie rods are the biggest thing with them, and you can get lifetime warranty wheelbearings fro 150/piece, and kryptonite makes a badass steering setup.

7.3s are slow and old, 6.0s who knows what youre going to get, the cummins is wrapped in an ugly *** truck with a crappy 4 speed til you get into the newer trucks and they still have a lot of suspension problems like the fords.

Solid axles are great for brute strength but they have just as many hub bearing and steering linkage problems as the dmaxs.

Depends on your price range too. What are you going to use it for? If I were buying mid 2000s it would be an 06-07 dmax or an LMM if you dont mind deleting the emissions BS. If I was buying new Id get a cummins.
What he said! I had an 06 LBZ, and was very pleased with it.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71

Interior space
Offroad
Towing ability
Bed space
Lift
Racing
How far exactly do you want to take the power
Interior space the f250 wins hands down and I love the interior.

Offroad not so much I had other toys for offroading the truck will just be level'd maybe some wheels and a/t tires (will get drove on a lot of highway trips )

Towing ability. I don't tow a ton of stuff but I would like to be able to hook a 16ft trailor loaded down with rhinos 4wheelers and gear and not even tell its there goin down the highway. And I'm sure a carhauler or two occasionally. No real heavy towing.

Won't be a racetruck or sledpuller..

As far as power adders just a good mild tune and anything I can do to add fuel economy lol.. I want something that will get 17+ highway unloaded .. This is possible correct?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got 17.5 on 35" toyos in my tuned dmax running 75, on stockers I got a little over 20. If you get a built trans to run the hotter tunes you can knock down 20 on 35s. A dmax would suit you well for what youre wanting to do it sounds like. Really the only bad thing about the dmaxs is interior space but theyre not that bad. Youre not going to be riding in the backseat anyway
Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

How mich is a built tranny for the dmax?

Quick Reply: lets talks about trucks that dont have spark plugs