THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Live Webcam from Large Hadron Collider!!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

odd......some people call me adam smasher, maybe someday I can cause a black hole too??

Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it a joke? google turns up limited info but it looks like an international scientific effort to study universal physics. Located just outside Geneva in an underground cavern. What is the video showing?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
why does the thing blackout and the parking lot disapear? Looks like a black hole is forming
The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator complex, intended to collide opposing beams of protons (one of several types of hadrons) with very high kinetic energy. Its main purpose is to explore the validity and limitations of the Standard Model, the current theoretical picture for particle physics. It is theorized that the collider will confirm the existence of the Higgs boson. This would supply a crucial missing link in the Standard Model and explain how other elementary particles acquire properties such as mass.

The LHC was built by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), and lies underneath the Franco-Swiss border between the Jura Mountains and the Alps near Geneva, Switzerland. It is funded by and built in collaboration with over eight thousand physicists from over eighty-five countries as well as hundreds of universities and laboratories. The LHC is operational and is presently in the process of being prepared for collisions. The first beams were circulated through the collider on 10 September 2008, and the first high-energy collisions are expected to take place after 6-8 weeks.

Although there have been questions concerning the safety of the Large Hadron Collider in the media and even through the courts, the consensus in the scientific community is that there is no conceivable threat from the LHC particle collisions.

From Wikipedia
Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 PM
something else

is it a joke? google turns up limited info but it looks like an international scientific effort to study universal physics. Located just outside Geneva in an underground cavern. What is the video showing?
the video is a joke but the truth is that may be REAL one day.... thay say if the study goes wrong we can create a black hole........people can just enjoy life, thay have to have to be analysis to everything.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:46 PM
something else

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...5804254&page=1

check that out
Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by chevytruck
the video is a joke but the truth is that may be REAL one day.... thay say if the study goes wrong we can create a black hole........people can just enjoy life, thay have to have to be analysis to everything.
ahh, ok. thank you. Do not fear scientific exploration. They said the same thing about the first nuclear test.

My buddy works at the Stanford nuclear accelerator, I bet he's all up on this stuff.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 PM
something else

ahh, ok. thank you. Do not fear scientific exploration. They said the same thing about the first nuclear test.

My buddy works at the Stanford nuclear accelerator, I bet he's all up on this stuff.
I dont fear it, just dont really understand it, well some of it I do. But 10 Billion to make this thing? uumm I don't know...

But science is a wounderfull thing, if there was no science I would not have a job right now, and so forth.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
people are afraid all the testing is going to form a black hole that ends the world.
2012 is gettin here quicker.. several things happening now that can end it
Old 09-18-2008, 12:22 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

the end is just the begining of a new time. Join me there
Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there's a good show on the history channel about it...looks absolutely amazing, even if it proves absolutely nothing. It's the biggest man made machine and building in the world!

Quick Reply: Live Webcam from Large Hadron Collider!!!! :)