THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

LOL scam :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LOL scam :)

My dad and I are looking at buying a Jeep to fix up. He found an ad for a 2007 Wrangler Rubicon listed for $5000. Most of the 07 Rubicons that I have seen are listed for $20k+. My dad sent the guy an email to get the "whole story" and this is the response he received:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my car.This is a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon,2 DR WAGON SPORT UTILITY 4.0L L6 MPI
4 WHEEL DRIVE, Exterior Color Red,Interior Color Black, Engine 6 Cylinder Gasoline, Transmission Automatic, Mileage 17,700,clean title,VIN#: 1J4FA69S86P739349.Hard top and Soft top, Locking trunk added,6CD changer, AC,cruise control. Full size spare tire, Fog lights,etc.

Here you can find more pictures of the car: http://s372.photobucket.com/albums/o...alecarrubicon/
(if the above link does not work copy and paste it into a new web browser window).

The car has been well taken care of, always kept in the garage.Flawless exterior/interior condition,no scratches and no dents.It has never been involved in an accident.The engine starts and drives like new and the paint looks great.It comes with US clear title which will be signed and notorized in the buyer's name.Have all keys and manuals.

I'm an US Air Force Sgt. currently stationed in the United Kingdom.The car is here with me. It was bought in the US and shipped to Europe, but it was never permanently registered here, the car is still registered in the US.The car is for sale locally as well, but there are slim chances of this to happen. In order to be able to register this car here in the UK the buyer would have to pay very high import/custom taxes that will double the price. So I decided to sell the car back in the US.

The price is $5,000.00 including shipping from the UK to the US and delivery to your home address.

So if you decide to buy this car or need further information please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thank you
Sgt. Roy Bowden
This all sounds a little fishy...another take on the Nigerian scam or whatever it's called.

Here's my favorite part. I'd like to know what street in the UK has neighbors with a Chevy conversion van, a Malibu wakeboard boat, and a 2007 Jeep all in a row.

I told my dad to stay the hell away from this one.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be that pic is from when he was stationed here, in the US. The writing style is not like the scammers I have seen, looks possibly legit. Check it out a little better.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow... the uk looks just like the u.s.!

if the shipping wasn't included i would say its possible but with it included it could be a scam
Old 11-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

looks like an american is trying to pull the nigerian scam on someone
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Oh, he wants 5K for the jeep (with shipping?) lol, yeah, he's either really stupid or a scammer!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

It's a scam. Do you really think that guy is going to take a $10,000-15,000 hit on a car just so he can recoup $4000 if he's lucky? It would probably cost at least $1000 to ship it here, and I'm sure it would be easy as hell to sell that to someone else in the military.

I'm not directing this at all torwards you thunder, but please people have a clue. It's the thousands of people that actually think these are real that keep them scamming people.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
Could be that pic is from when he was stationed here, in the US. The writing style is not like the scammers I have seen, looks possibly legit. Check it out a little better.
That photo above is dated Oct 8. I'd like to know why the hell someone would take a pic in the States on Oct 8, ship the Jeep overseas, then try to sell it back in the States a month and a half later.

Also, it's fishy that the first paragraph mentions the details of the Jeep, then the rest of the email all refers to it generically as "my car".
Old 11-24-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

scam without a doubt. you guys ever get emails from banks in hong kong wanting you to help them with a large transaction? like every day i get offers to help with some 96million dollar scam. its nonstop.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, why would it cost double the asking price of the vehicle for a title transfer from the US DMV to the UK motor department?? lol
Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yep, definitely a scam... i saw a listing on ebay once of a wrx sti that said the buy it now price was 7k. of course i sent the guy an email for more info, and he said his job transferred to spain and he had the car with him.... basically the exact same email you got. STAY AWAY

Quick Reply: LOL scam :)