THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Mercruiser 5.7, how to up the HP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol well,
1. Still deployed
2. Boat won't be delivered until April
3. It's the only thing I own with a warranty, it would be nice to not foot the bill if something breaks. Pretty sure a blower or engine swap might give them a reason to deny a warranty claim

Warranty adjuster--->

I've already talked the dealer into dropping prop pitch by 2 to help the hole shot
Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Originally Posted by stock48
What all does the ECU control? Is there a way to just unplug it and put a Holley HP injection controller on it?
No clue. I was hoping somebody on here fools with these things for a living. There is no MAF but it does have cam sensor, crank trigger, knock sensors, from my understanding.
This is for a 1997 so it probably isn't exact but you get the idea
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...%29/parts.html#
Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt mess with a 5.7 or the 496 marine engines. My friend is a professional boat engine builder for race boats and recreational boats. The factory marine engines arent built for aftermarket parts or power adders. He gets many customers that have blown up engines in their boats trying to make it faster. Marine engines arent like auto engines, marine engines always have a constant heavy load on them which strains the cast internals. The MPI is total junk, any water or moisture in the unit will cause you fustration and a big headache not including the money to fix and retune your engine. If I were you, Id get a marine 502. The come forged from GM. If you want big power slap a blower or turbo on it. Or just rock it stock. Your next issue with your new found power will be the factory outdrive.....
Old 10-20-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2007chevy5.3l
I wouldnt mess with a 5.7 or the 496 marine engines. My friend is a professional boat engine builder for race boats and recreational boats. The factory marine engines arent built for aftermarket parts or power adders. He gets many customers that have blown up engines in their boats trying to make it faster. Marine engines arent like auto engines, marine engines always have a constant heavy load on them which strains the cast internals. The MPI is total junk, any water or moisture in the unit will cause you fustration and a big headache not including the money to fix and retune your engine. If I were you, Id get a marine 502. The come forged from GM. If you want big power slap a blower or turbo on it. Or just rock it stock. Your next issue with your new found power will be the factory outdrive.....
I agree, most the hot rod boats you see on the lakes are floating out in the middle with the engine hatch open trying to figure how to get back to the boat ramp. Mostly because they are trying to up the power with parts out of a summit catalog and its just not going to hold up.

Go with something designed for the abuse(long periods of full load @5k plus rpm's