THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Mother Nature wins everytime!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah, thanks John. Did you see the van trying to outrun the water at the beginning?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fak yah.. It is just crazy..
Old 03-13-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I was reading somewhere that there is a a huge fault line in the mid west
New Madrid Fault line. Last major quake was in 1811. They feel tremors from it every year.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Where do u find this stuff John? I know Roger originally posted it up on here, but u found another link. You must be "Rainman," when it comes to finding various things.

I did get to see it when asked my bro to show me it on FB this morning. Then I read your link. That's some scary **** - capitalized.
Worse than vid I posted on here.

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
New Madrid Fault line. Last major quake was in 1811. They feel tremors from it every year.
Well then, they need to move it.

Wonder if that (New Madrid Fault line) is the cause of the 1 they felt in Ohio a few yrs. back?

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-14-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad stuff.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

bad thing is, you just cant shut down a Nuke station, it has to be powered down slowly.
Now that its leaking, good luck on that one..
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a copy of an email I recieved from my buddy Mark who posts on here as TurboGibbs. He is an operator at Browns Ferry Nuclear plant in Alabama so he has a bit more insight than most on this subject.

I thought I'd share some input on the Japan nuclear disasters.
I don't see things getting better. The dose levels are attrocious at the site. Short doses are no big deal. But they are getting sustained chronic doses. All 50 of the people fighting to keep water on the vessels will live a shortend life.

Primary containment has been breached on U2 due to a hydrogen explosion. hydrogen is a by-product of nuclear fission in water.
Browns Ferry is almost identical to these, other than BFN having some upgrades and building construction.
For one, BFN has a vent path (add-on) from pri containment strait to the 600' stack. Fukushima has to vent from Pri to sec containment (the reactor building) which caused the explosions of U1 and U3 reactor buildings.

And the main reason for the disaster, the diesel generators getting swamped by the tsunami. The top of their diesel building is 21'. They received a 23' surge. BFN diesels are 42' from the river level, and we have no threat of a tsunami. Even if Guntersville dam breaks, there will be no issues. If Wheeler dam breaks (and we loose cooling water) the forbay (where we pull water in) is dug out deeper than the river channel so we would have a large pool to use for shutdown cooling with the cooling towers as a heat sink.

I hope this brings some light on some of your questions.

Mark
I also attached a PDF that he had on the email that I thought had some interesting info.

Regardless of what everyone thinks, nuclear power is going to be absolutely necessary for the US to continue to survive with a viable power source. Ive worked in the chemical plants, on commercial construction sites and large scale civil projects and by far a nuclear plant is the safest place to be. I worked at the same plant that Mark does back in 06 when they were rebuilding a unit out there and everything was very safe. I believe his email covers the other main points that the general public should know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fukushima_Nukes.pdf (57.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jonathan, I echoed a similiar sentiment to a few on here. Goes somethin like this. In CA, u may have an earthquake. U may have a tornado or perhaps a hurricane. Other than TMI, I know of no other U.S. nuke plant that had an issue. If so, not recently, & TMI was back in '79. So what I'm sayin is we have seperate incidents here, not all 3 at once. IDK how often they have eartquake spawning fires here in U.S., so they had that to contend w/. along w/. all this stuff too.

Cody thanks for sharing Mark's email. It was interesting to say the least. And scary. And comforting if you're a U.S. resident.

It leads me to believe we engineer things better here.

Besides that, IDK if we just research things better here or what, but we learn as we go forward as I'm not sure when that Japan nuke plant was built vs. when BFN was built. It's already been said, they've learned from this disaster there. As most likely those payin attn. have too.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Heck, even our beloved boys in NJ flooding. I called Billy twice & sent him a visitor message. This is just a bad deal all around.

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/news-toppix0307/13/
I'm OK! Just been a little busy...bad timing I guess!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.comcast.net/video/house-f...st/1844090028/

More insane vid. Watch it thru.