THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Move over LSX new motor to be in c7 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a direct injected 5.5L engine that has nearly the same output as a traditional fuel injected 6.2L speaks for itself.....

With DI, you get cooler intake charge and higher compression ratio--more efficient combustion. That's the biggest advantage I can think of. What I can't figure out is why it took so long to do this... What hurdles do you run into?

It will most likely still be a "LSX" as far as the lay-person is concerned. It will just be Gen V engine. Gen III => Gen IV => Gen V. Get it?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to be called the LSDI....

J/k i have no clue
Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coban
I think a direct injected 5.5L engine that has nearly the same output as a traditional fuel injected 6.2L speaks for itself.....

With DI, you get cooler intake charge and higher compression ratio--more efficient combustion. That's the biggest advantage I can think of. What I can't figure out is why it took so long to do this... What hurdles do you run into?

It will most likely still be a "LSX" as far as the lay-person is concerned. It will just be Gen V engine. Gen III => Gen IV => Gen V. Get it?
As far as I know, regarding the hurdles, is really just retooling the factories. Its a completely different design (think diesel, they are direct injected). Beyond that, the benefits are like you stated, higher mileage, more power...gonna make modding it a pita though.

FWIW, the new 3.6L v6 in the camaro/cts is direct injected, 306hp 30mpg in a 4000 pig. Now extrapolate that technology into something with 2 more cylinders, heads that are somewhat performance oriented and, you get the picture, 440 out of a 5.5L isn't that tough at all, IMO.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 PM
13 Second Truck Club

The main thing i worry about direct injection is what the costs of fuel pumps. I know some of the desiel pumps can cost some serious money. I know desiel and gas are different but they are both very high pressures.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel-injected engines, and the engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 1,740 psi (120 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle—approximately 508 psi (35 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The exhaust cam-driven high-pressure pump works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump

they are saying this motor will remain a pushrod motor so im curious to see what they use to drive the fuel pump . probably the oil similar to diesel.

tuning may get fun . imagine not only the spark timing but also injector timing. got a new bogey.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel-injected engines, and the engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 1,740 psi (120 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle—approximately 508 psi (35 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The exhaust cam-driven high-pressure pump works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump

they are saying this motor will remain a pushrod motor so im curious to see what they use to drive the fuel pump . probably the oil similar to diesel.

tuning may get fun . imagine not only the spark timing but also injector timing. got a new bogey.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Very similar to a diesel...
Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

and

look real similar to me. I don't mind the drop in cubes but gain in performance per litre. I just hope the Z series' stay ahead of the competition and continue to satisfy us.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm looking forward to the new Gen V V8 from GM. I like the fact they're keeping the pushrod design. The slight horsepower increase from the LS3 and new CAFE standards is probably an indication we're seeing the peak of naturally aspirated horsepower NOW. I guarantee we'll never see a big GM V8 (like the LS7) ever again. Regardless, it's cool to see a power increase from a smaller engine. Direct injection and a "new cylinder" design are probably the main reasons. I have a feeling this engine will only be available in the Corvette, new GM trucks, and MAYBE the 6th gen Camaro.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw this a little while back, looks promising for sure and is gonna be tuning heaven for the tuners and compression guru's.
Also one of the problems they had to overcome from what I understand is the gas would eat up the high pressure fuel pumps really quickly as opposed to the diesels which self-lubricates the pumps. All this high pressure injection is gonna be fun to deal with!

Oh yeah and that C7 rendering is hideous!

Quick Reply: Move over LSX new motor to be in c7 ?