THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

My new GTO - wrecked already

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Chris! At least you and your friend are mostly ok. You'll be sore for a few days after this. Take it slow and easy for the next week.
That was a beautiful Goat, but like most here, it appears to be a total loss. Significant damage to both ends of the car should guarantee a replacement car is necessary.
They call 'em accidents but it still hurts physically and emotionally. Anyway, glad to see your ok.

Good luck chief

Richard
Old 08-24-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Ouch!

did you see him coming?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am very thankful that my buddy and I are both ok, that's the most important part. I know there are other cars out there like this one, so it may be harder to find but it's replaceable. The car did it's job and protected both of us, it's just disappointing because I've wanted one for so long and I finally got it to work out, and then this.

I feel fine today, not sore at all. I haven't talked to Brett yet today, but his leg was swollen up pretty good last night. He did have it x-rayed though, no breaks or fractures fortunately, so it looks like the extent of the injuries are bumps and bruises (and sad feelings).

The more I look at the pics, the more I'm confident it has a bent unibody/frame/whatever you call it. The location of the bend appears to be around the rear wheel well, judging by how the entire rear half of the car is bent down, which I'm hoping means damaged suspension parts. Either way, by the time you throw in devaluation of the car, I'm fairly confident that insurance will total the car. That's what I'm going to keep thinking anyway, until I hear otherwise from the appraiser.

I'd rather not get into the financial details on the car, but there's no lienholder, so I don't have to worry about gap insurance.

Colby - I came to a stop behind the BMW, and looked up just in time to see him hit. I probably realized what was about to happen 1/2 second or so before the impact. I can still hear it in my head, that classic car crunching sound that I'm sure some of you know.

Last edited by thunder550; 08-24-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, the GTO got a double wami!! Now it looks like a slant back GTO.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Launching!

I can't believe no one has called dibs on his drivetrain
Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SaintLos
I can't believe no one has called dibs on his drivetrain

OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVENT READ ALL THE POSTS
Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
High on diesel fumes

I went to the body shop at lunchtime today and got some good hi-res pics. I talked to one of the guys who does the actual work and he said that I definitely didn't want this car back. He seemed pretty confident that there wouldn't be any problems totaling it, but we'll see. I don't have the storage space to post all the pics in full quality, 76mb for 53 pics.

Here's my best description of what I saw....

The two frame rails are buckled in the back. The exhaust is bent bad in several places. Neither of the doors line up right. The passenger doesn't line up at all with the front fender, and the driver's side fender lines up but is pushed against the door. I didn't notice it myself, but the guy I was with told me that the gap was too small between the rear of the doors and the rear quarter panel. Both rear quarter panels are buckled under the windows. I couldn't tell if I was seeing things or not, but it looked like the engine wasn't lined up straight with the car...looked like it was shifted back slightly on the driver's side, so that it would make the driveline point more towards the passenger rear tire. I got under and looked, and the tranny mount looked ok though, so I may have just been seeing things. The crash bar behind the bumper is folded up pretty good, almost into the a/c condenser. The inner and outer skin separated in a few places in the back, and there are hairline cracks in the welds in 3 of the 4 wheel wells. The trunk floor is completely demolished, it's not even worth describing in detail.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, that sounds totalled to me.. If you want, you could email me the pics, so I could see them.. lol, I cant host them, but I would like to see them if you wouldn't mind sending them. My addy is Jblack6527@verizon.net
Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man that sucks, this is/might be the newest, fastest wrecked car that someone has had on here.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 PM
High on diesel fumes

jblack - I'm going to try and email them to you, not sure if google will let me send a 75mb attachment.

Quick Reply: My new GTO - wrecked already