THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Need advice on cowl hood with rally stripes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on cowl hood with rally stripes...

I think I'm finally ready to fork out the cash for a cowl hood, no ram airs or anything, just the traditional cowl hood for this truck. I have a painter who has already painted half the damn truck, and is willing to do rally stripes on it for dirt cheap.

I never noticed this till my dad told me, but GM never put rally stripes on the rooftops of cars, just the hoods and trunks.....I noticed the RST has the rallys but they have a stock hood. Also they have them on the back spoiler.

What would rally stripes look like on a traditional cowl hood? Anyone know of anyone with pics? Also, should I go down the tailgate and rollpan? Or stop at bottom of tailgate? Its all shaved.....I'm thinking a dark metallic grey or black. ALso, how wide should I go?

I appreciate it fellas
Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen pics of what you're talking about and it looks great IMO, and yes, Chevy never put their stripes on the roof...I've seen where guys have done aftermarket stripes and run them over the roof and it just looks weird to me, I guess because it's not the way that I'm used to seeing it.

I'd take the stripes on to the tailgate and probably stop them and round off the edges the way that factory stripes would...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Banned

I agree...rollpan would prolly be too much. But I could always get it photoshopped first.

Also, I'm also leaning toward an HD hood but man idk.....I love the look of the regular cowl hoods...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

I guess this is the cowl I would get.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-02...Q5fAccessories
Old 06-24-2010, 03:47 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im partial to cowl hoods, they are " made for" GM's!!!

I hate seeing them on Furds and dodges

I am thinking also of putting stripes on my hood down the road. They look sweet IMO.

Black or hugger orange would be killer on your truck.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i dont really care for that cowl hood, IMO an hd hood would look better. black stripes (maybe flat black or satin black) going to the bottom of the tail gate would look good on your truck. not sure on the width but they need to be 2 wide stripes like GM would have put on if they had done it. maybe someone with an RST can tell you how wide their stripes are, they are the perfect width.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always wanted to see an HD hood with a 2" cowl 'glassed onto it...
Old 06-24-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
I think I'm finally ready to fork out the cash for a cowl hood, no ram airs or anything, just the traditional cowl hood for this truck.

I never noticed this till my dad told me, but GM never put rally stripes on the rooftops of cars, just the hoods and trunks.....I noticed the RST has the rallys but they have a stock hood. Also they have them on the back spoiler.

What would rally stripes look like on a traditional cowl hood? Anyone know of anyone with pics? Also, should I go down the tailgate and rollpan? Or stop at bottom of tailgate? Its all shaved.....I'm thinking a dark metallic grey or black. Also, how wide should I go? ...
IMO, the '99-02 can do a cowl hood or use the cowl hood w/.scoops that are cut at an angle in front (similar to RamAir T/A). They both look good. But the '03-up Silverados featuring the Avy front look only look good w/. traditional cowl. I can't stand the 442 on mine.

Your painter will do stripes dirt cheap? Aren't u the 1 who has $10k in appearance mods?

Some pics gotta be floatin round. I know there's a RST owner on here that has a cowl hood in last 6 mos. It's black w/ red stripes. IIRC, he's from NY & friends w/. Jake Brake. I believe it's 04RST.

If I ever pony up the scratch for a cowl, the stripe issue is somethin I'd have trouble deciding how I wanna do it. I also wish they were actually made by GM or at least in U.S.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I've seen pics of what you're talking about and it looks great IMO, and yes, Chevy never put their stripes on the roof...I've seen where guys have done aftermarket stripes and run them over the roof and it just looks weird to me, I guess because it's not the way that I'm used to seeing it.

I'd take the stripes on to the tailgate and probably stop them and round off the edges the way that factory stripes would...
That sounds sweet. Rounded & end at tailgate. I like that & it'd look ...

Originally Posted by 454navyss
...not sure on the width but they need to be 2 wide stripes like GM would have put on if they had done it. maybe someone with an RST can tell you how wide their stripes are, they are the perfect width.
Hey, that's a good idea. I never thought of that. Look on a RST truck.

I guess if Ben is sayin he always wanted to see an HD hood with a 2" cowl 'glassed onto it, they don't make a cowl HD hood then? If not, they should, cause I'd love to see it.

Last edited by fastnblu; 06-24-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen an 02 HD cowl hood, had the 1970 chevelle cowl flapper on it, very badass, i'll try and find a pic.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Launching!

he had someone local make the stripes fit the cowl hood i forget the name of the guy tho

Quick Reply: Need advice on cowl hood with rally stripes...