THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

The neverending OVERHEATING issue...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 203Cree
Yes, more than likely.
Ok, now all i gotta do is find a parts/Ford dealer that has any idea what they are talking about.

The carquest by me said they have both pieces of hose for the lower (the small piece on one side of the oil cooler to the water pump, then the longer one with the turn in it that connects to radiator. But he said that it doesnt have a spring in it...? Now im really lost...

Dan
Old 10-10-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChillOutWayne
Ok, now all i gotta do is find a parts/Ford dealer that has any idea what they are talking about.

The carquest by me said they have both pieces of hose for the lower (the small piece on one side of the oil cooler to the water pump, then the longer one with the turn in it that connects to radiator. But he said that it doesnt have a spring in it...? Now im really lost...

Dan
Don't trust everything they tell you. Did you check the hose to see if it's for SURE bad?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 203Cree
Don't trust everything they tell you. Did you check the hose to see if it's for SURE bad?
I just went out there and squeezed it, it feels just like the upper does. I mean i can squeeze it, but it seems to be just as soft as the upper is. I do know the spring that was in it before is now out, but the placement of that spring in the hose im not sure on. Its weird that the carquest told me the hose did not have a spring in it, is it possible its a differently reinforced hose and updated so no spring is needed?

Could it possibly be clutch fan?

Dan
Old 10-10-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Clutch fan would give you problems other than just at road speed, but it could be, I dunno. Start with the cheap stuff, like the hoses, and go from there.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

I had a very similar overheating problem on a 4-cylinder Dodge car a few years ago. The t-stat failed and the driver didn't know any better and overheated the engine. I replaced the t-stat and the hoses, but it would still occasionally get hot while on the drive to/from work (~15 miles all highway). I threw on a new water pump...same thing. It would run fine on short trips and in city traffic, but would sometimes get hot on the highway. I flushed the system several times, no help. I thought it might have a cracked block/head or blown head gasket, but the plugs were clean, no smoke out the tailpipe and no water in the oil. Finally out of frustration I put in a brand new radiator and the son of a bitch never got hot again. The only thing I could figure was that the old radiator was mostly plugged up but could still pass enough water through at lower RPM's, but at higher RPM's it couldn't flow enough.

My money is on the radiator.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Neil 6.0
I had a very similar overheating problem on a 4-cylinder Dodge car a few years ago. The t-stat failed and the driver didn't know any better and overheated the engine. I replaced the t-stat and the hoses, but it would still occasionally get hot while on the drive to/from work (~15 miles all highway). I threw on a new water pump...same thing. It would run fine on short trips and in city traffic, but would sometimes get hot on the highway. I flushed the system several times, no help. I thought it might have a cracked block/head or blown head gasket, but the plugs were clean, no smoke out the tailpipe and no water in the oil. Finally out of frustration I put in a brand new radiator and the son of a bitch never got hot again. The only thing I could figure was that the old radiator was mostly plugged up but could still pass enough water through at lower RPM's, but at higher RPM's it couldn't flow enough.

My money is on the radiator.
I was just going to throw a new hose on tonight and try that, but after reading that, and it sounds just like what im experiencing, im going to probably remove the radiator and have it tested/back flowed tomorrow and throw that back in with the new hose tomorrow and try that. Hmm...

Dan
Old 10-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so i have the lower hose pulled with the adapter for the oil cooler, im gonna replace the whole setup cuz the spring that was in there is completely gone, and the hose does not feel too sturdy. Lets all just hope thats the problem, becuase im becoming nautious with this whole situation.

I also have the radiator pulled and im gonna back flush it here in a few minutes, i hope some garbage comes out.

anyway ill keep u guys posted, any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks
Dan
Old 10-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so i just got off the phone with Ford, they have a new radiator hose WITH a spring waiting for me, im gonna give that a try tonight and we will see. Ill post back up later, wish the van luck

Dan
Old 10-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Default Update

UPDATE:

Ok i just came in from another 4 hours on the damn van. I replaced the lower hose that goes from radiator to oil cooler adapter (which had a spring in it that i got from Ford), i put the radiator back in it after flushing the hell out of it every which way, and i replaced the coolant i had removed.

I began by driving for about 15 minutes on the street in 35-45mph zone. Everything is all good, and it even looks like its running a tad under normal. Note:i want to make note that the needle itself is constantly doing something, it will be still for several seconds then do a little jump in either direction, its very odd. Ok so i made my way to the interstate, hopped on and went roughly 3-5 miles until the needle started to climb ever so slightly. Im talking going from in the middle of the "R" (of NORMAL) to the middle of "M" over the next few miles, but gradually. So then it seems to top out at about the end of "M" at the end of maybe 10-12 miles. Now i decide im going to have it cool down some and get off the highway. Now things get interesting.

I decide to turn the heat on to help cool it some, and i click on the vent setting for heat, and the gauge jumps UP almost an entire letter, to about the middle of "A". I turn it off, turn it on, and so forth to verify what im seeing. Yup, the temp gauge is moving when the vents are turned on, and when the windows go up ect...basicall with the volt needle, but the weird thing is, is the oil press gauge is moving slightly too. Now, the confusion level i was at before has just multiplied. Over the next several miles of being back at normal speeds, the temp never dropped significantly, and actually seemed to level at about the middle of "M", which is still a hair over half, and it never ran that warm before. It would occasionally jump down a notch or up, and really with no pattern.

So here arrives the question, is it really running hot? Do i have a seperate problem here that seems to only surface on the highway? And it might just be me, but i was at a light after getting of the highway, and the needle was at the middle of the "M", i turned on the vents to high for maybe a minute, turned them off and the gauge only dropped back down to the "A", how in the world did it increase temperature in one minute WITH the heat on full blast. Also, if i just let the van run in the driveway, it never seems to get that hot, and now after getting home and letting it sit and run for a bit, the temp never dropped back below "M", this is odd as well, considering if i had a flow issue, it should go away at idle, thus allowing the van to cool down. Guys, im thinking something else is going on here, somehting not as simple as a coolant hose or a radiator. Please, let me know if you have any insight/questions. I am delirious and completely drained from this project, so i may have left out some vital info in this, so if theres any info needed to help. Let me know. Im off all day tomorrow, so ill check here often.

Thanks again for reading and your time, its more than appreciated.
Dan
Old 10-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Tribe Shaman

you pulled and rebuilt the motor after he ran it hot.

gauges jump when fliping switchs.

did you hook up all the ground straps in the right places?

Quick Reply: The neverending OVERHEATING issue...please help!