THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

The neverending OVERHEATING issue...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Most common thing I've seen for overheating on the highway is insufficient coolant flow through the radiator, or air flow across the radiator. Running water through it isn't enough, it must be rodded and boiled, or replaced. Another item I've come across, though not very common, is impellers on the water pump rotting away. This will also give more problems on the highway in my experience. But I'll almost bet that the radiator is the problem.
Yup, the radiator was the problem. Shop said it was 45% blocked and that i needed a new one. I got one at my cost thru my dealer and put it in that night, it took alot more coolant than the older one and as of that night my problem has been solved. I was on the highway for about 15 miles and instead of 231 degrees, it stood at about 192-194 the whole time, according to my scanner.

The water pump is brand new, so i eliminated that pretty quick, my only other concern was that i was pulling in air still somewhere, ie cracked head or something along those lines.

Dan