THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

New Laptop!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from left to right: safely remove hardware device (ignore this, can mean a jump drive or mouse or something), display monitor, IDT audio (system tool), synaptics touchpad (touch pad toolkit), wireless activity indicator (HP), antivirus icon, battery minder, wireless activity indicator (windows), and sound.the only ones that you can get rid of are the hp wireless indicator, norton, synaptics, and possibly the display monitor.
i agree with the feel of the keyboard. my computer is very similar to yours.

by the way the floating dock can be removed by hitting the [x] at the top right of the screen and can be disabled by going into the options menu. there should be some kind of option that says open at computer startup or something like that.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can also remove it from msconfig as i can help ya with bro....

as for the norton antivirus, I would get rid of that **** like the plague.

I will hook you up with something better... whens the next time your in this area?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

go with eset, avg, or kaspersky. those are the best comsumer antivirus programs in my professional opinion.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't be south in the foreseeable future but thanks, I can use the free AV from Comcast. I know how to use MSConfig or even better Services.msc
Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
Congrats bro!!! that a very good laptop, one thing to note with HP laptops is they will tend to overcharge and kill the battery if you leave it plugged in, so let the thing go completely dead from time to time, and dont do like most people and leave it plugged in all the time.

Otherwise you got a very cool new toy bro
+1 I had a girl at work ask me about hers today because it "won't come on" and she kept saying the power cord is bad.
I asked if she leaves it plugged in all the time and she said yes.

My guess is she fried the battery.

Congrats on a good deal!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

My Dell e1705 will stop charging the laptop battery if you leave it plugged in. It's 3 years old and the battery is JUST now starting to go out.

Can't say the same for any of my friends that have owned HP, Compaq (same as HP), and sony laptops. They've all gotten 6 months to a year max.

I've always liked the look of the newer HP laptops but they are too shiny for me and show lots of fingerprints.

Also, if your batt does die and you buy a new one. Don't throw your old battery out. There are a few write ups on line about how to take them apart and replace the batteries in them with new ones. They are just like rechargeable AA batteries. If you can wire up a stereo on a car then you can do that swap.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe that MS is still brainwashing people into thinking that the "next" iteration of Windows is better than the prior one. I think I'll hang onto XP until the bitter end and then go to some form of Linux that only needs 250MB RAM to run the OS instead of 2GB.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
go with eset, avg, or kaspersky. those are the best comsumer antivirus programs in my professional opinion.
AVG here. Works very well for me.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
I can't believe that MS is still brainwashing people into thinking that the "next" iteration of Windows is better than the prior one. I think I'll hang onto XP until the bitter end and then go to some form of Linux that only needs 250MB RAM to run the OS instead of 2GB.
I will tell you, i have run win 7 on a amd 800 mhz laptop with 512mb of ram and it ran great.... cant say the same for vista, hell even xp was dogged down on it
Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
Eset (aka nod32) is ok... avg is quite good, I would not touch kapersky if my life depended on it.... it has a weird issue with fubarring drivers randomly. not to mention locking down key install files and making some programs unusable.

as for me I use avast, it runs excellent with a small footprint

btw I am one of the head techs at a major component manuf

Quick Reply: New Laptop!