THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

New Laptop!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always remove the battery from my laptops after fully charging....I learned the hard way on my Sony.

I use the free McAffee that comes with Comcast cable...it's not too intrusive.

Does ANYONE run HPTuners on Win7 yet? any known issues? I'll most likely use my Sony (XP pro) for tuning, it's half the size and 1/3 rd the weight but I like to back up my logs/tunes on as many drives as I can
Old 11-09-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run AVG Internet Security 8. i just sell the **** for a living, i know what messes up the most because I have to fix it when customers make mistakes. we've had just as many customers bring in computers with avast as any other system, if not more. (we've yet to have any issues with kaspersky) - not ******* on you, i'm just pointing out
i've adopted the policy that i don't use anything free, and i don't buy anything cheap. however i'm not opposed to getting a good deal on something

and i completely agree with the whole 7 vs vista thing. Windows 7 is a vast improvement over vista, especially when it comes to performance and ease of use. I have not upgraded from vista for the simple fact that, like all other new windows systems before it, windows 7 will have problems until the service pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4FIIkKXdw

Last edited by honeycutt.dewey; 11-09-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: aha i found the video i was looking for.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Wish i was the guy writing those commercials
Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice Bill... Hope it works a little better then mine. I bought the Pavilion Dv4-1465dx, has the due cor T6200 with 4 gig ram and 360hd, but is has a problem... Maybe one of the super smart computer guys on here can help me, I leave it on all the time, plugged in with the battery out, (has the BIG battery that sticks out the bottom of it like a hemorrhoid, )and every time it goes to sleep, it wakes up slower and slower. It gets REALLY BAD! to the point of web pages loading slow and the screen jumps around when you scroll and the worst is text box writing, like what I'm doing now, it is VERY sluggish. Like, like its 4-7 letter behind what I'm typing. If I reboot the computer, it back fine again until it stands by a couple of times. Really makes me mad. It's got crapVista on it since I bought it last July, but I have a free upgrade to WINDOWS 7, I just have to find the damn recite to get it Any one have any ideas???
Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you bought it at best buy its bestbuy.com/windows7upgrade. otherwise you get it from HP's website. your craptastic vista is using more and more ram each time you put it into sleep mode. restarting your computer resets this problem, so just restart it from time to time.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
if you bought it at best buy its bestbuy.com/windows7upgrade. otherwise you get it from HP's website. your craptastic vista is using more and more ram each time you put it into sleep mode. restarting your computer resets this problem, so just restart it from time to time.
That sucks, I used to leave my old Dell on for weeks at a time. It had XP with only 2 gigs of ram, and your telling me that this new HP with 4 gigs, can't handle Vista and going into stand by? I basically have to restart it 1-2 times a day now.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

no, it has nothing to do with brand. vista reacts negatively to going into standby several times daily. if you have to do it 1-2 times a day then there may be something wrong. after things slow up press the key combination ctrl + shift + escape. in the bottom right of the window that pops up, you'll see a percentage. if that's over 75% then you have issues.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
no, it has nothing to do with brand. vista reacts negatively to going into standby several times daily. if you have to do it 1-2 times a day then there may be something wrong. after things slow up press the key combination ctrl + shift + escape. in the bottom right of the window that pops up, you'll see a percentage. if that's over 75% then you have issues.

yeah if you got over 75% you got serious issues.... either that or you got wayyyy too much crapware runnin
Old 11-09-2009, 04:59 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

So back to the laptop....good deal huh!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

OK well I have Windows 7 completely figured out and optimized This cheap-assed laptop is the schnizzzz holy crap is it fast

Quick Reply: New Laptop!