THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

New Rider... Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Rider... Have Questions

hey guys
I dont really feel like joining some bike forum and I know lots of you probably ride.
I recently decided to get into it, a friend sold me his spare bike for dirt cheap, gave me a jacket. I bought a full face helmet, gloves and water proof boots.
I've hit the road pretty hard this week and logged lots of miles, I go for my road test on Monday to get off the bike learners.
I'm currently riding a 04 Suzuki Katana 750, its a sport touring bike, really not my style but the price was right and its a good learner bike.
what I'm curious about is, is riding a cruiser much harder then a sport bike? It'll be about 200 lbs heavier, is that an issue to keep up at lights?
any tips are appreciated!
thanks!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've ridden sport bikes a handful of times and find that even though they are much heavier, a cruiser/touring bike is easier to handle sitting still because of the lower seat height mainly. Some call me a glutton for punishment though. I ride a '68 Triumph 650 Bonneville rigid and a '60 Harley with an 8" extended frontend, no front brake, foot clutch and jockey shift. I don't know how to act on a modern bike...

My opinion is get what you want and what your riding style fits. You'll adapt to it.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been riding since I Was 16, I ride a 2013 z1000, and my brother rides a vmax. I do truly think sports bikes are a hell of a lot easier then cruises. Plus nothing sounds better then an inline 4 cyl.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:16 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Your ears must be frozen up there north of the border. Lol

Riding style and bike of choice all come down to the rider. I assume that's why they build so many.

If I were inclined to buy a brand new one tomorrow Id be looking hard at the new Triumph bikes...
Old 08-15-2015, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you can pass the test on your bike. You might be better off borrowing more of a cruiser bike for the test. I took a friend of mine to his test and he drove his R1. He was good on a bike, but couldn't pass because of the bike. It was just too hard to do small circles and figure 8's.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
Make sure you can pass the test on your bike. You might be better off borrowing more of a cruiser bike for the test. I took a friend of mine to his test and he drove his R1. He was good on a bike, but couldn't pass because of the bike. It was just too hard to do small circles and figure 8's.
Ive gone out with a few different people now and they all say they cant see any reason why I wouldnt pass. Low speed stuff was the firstthing I did before I even went on the streets with traffic. My insurance company really wasnt working with me and that's why its so rushed; they gave me 14 days to get the lisence
Old 08-16-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Your ears must be frozen up there north of the border. Lol

Riding style and bike of choice all come down to the rider. I assume that's why they build so many.

If I were inclined to buy a brand new one tomorrow Id be looking hard at the new Triumph bikes...
Yesterday was a frozen kind of day haha it was 50 out and overcast.
Im actually really thinking about a new harley Fat Bob, I wouldnt buy it this season but probably next summer
Old 08-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

The fat bob is a nice bike. But it's a lotta bike!! I know most people throw rocks at the sportsters but the new ones are a different animal. Gobs of power, and the different builds they do make them look all together different. I'm partial to the "48" personally. If you don't have long trips planned and want something nimble and easy to throw around town, don't overlook the Sportys. They aren't a "woman's bike" anymore.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well sadly the test didnt go so well haha
I buckled under the pressure and stalled on the hill.
EVERYTHING else was a pass. I hit the steepest hill my city has to offer and practiced for about 2 hours today; gonna go again tonight and I booked another road test for tomorrow evening
What method do you guys use on hills?
I hold back brake and let out clutch till friction point then accelerate and let off brake and clutch
Old 08-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Originally Posted by KozzyJr
Been riding since I Was 16, I ride a 2013 z1000, and my brother rides a vmax. I do truly think sports bikes are a hell of a lot easier then cruises. Plus nothing sounds better then an inline 4 cyl.
Except a 1000cc v-twin! I love the SV1000s.

Quick Reply: New Rider... Have Questions