THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

now this is exciting. going to build a nice garage

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

heated floor..damn pansy.. looks great Jim!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great man I am with everyone else I will be very glad one day to have something half as nice.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait...why the low ceilings again? What kind of lift are you gonna be installing and what's gonna be up in the attic, just storage space right? Looks awesome.
I don't know about you but I'd be fine with not having to pay for a retaining wall to be put in if it was only 10" off.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

See the windows upstairs in the first pic Spoolin??? Man space up there

That's IT! I'm moving to NE so I can use Jim's shop, it's nicer then mine,
Old 09-06-2008, 09:35 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Wait...why the low ceilings again? What kind of lift are you gonna be installing and what's gonna be up in the attic, just storage space right? Looks awesome.
I don't know about you but I'd be fine with not having to pay for a retaining wall to be put in if it was only 10" off.
ceilings are 8'8" in the low area and 10'8" in the high area. i am going to mess with the trusses a little and get that height to 11'2" right above the lift. thats still a little too low for a 2 post lift with the overhead link so i am going to go with the lift that has the link on the bottom. 11'2" should be pleanty good.

i have big plans for the upstairs. the big room up there is 16' wide, 36' long and 8' high and the weight ratings are high enough i can do anything i want up there. thinking a total man room. good sized poker table, pool table, something like a 8' projector tv, ps3, a couch or two that flips out to a bed, little kitchenette in the corner.

as you can see i have big plans and am making slow progress. this thread could go on for years

good news is we hope to slide the nova and a boosted ls1 swap mustang in there as soon as that part of the floor is in. a pair of potential 8sec cars

i cant remember if i mentioned my eventual plans. i talked to my boss and he gave me the ok to take every friday off... forever. sometime next year i plan on starting to do that and try and make a little money out of the garage. 3 day weekends every week should give me time to get something done. not sure what i will be doing. still looking for my nitch. could be helping with some basic bolt ons for local guys. could be full on custom turbo kits. could be something off the wall like cng conversions or electric car conversions. whatever it is i will need to maintain a low profile to not **** off the neighbors so some kind of internet related business would probably be ideal. no more than a car or two here at a time and keep them closed up in the garage. turbo kits for bmw's? turbo kits for g8's, hmm.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HAHA...badass Jim!! A friend of mine just re-trussed his garage so he can fit a lift in his garage and his is really tall, like 18 feet tall so his goes all the way to the roof.
Love the man cave idea! should be a great place to get away from it all. Congrats!
Let me know when you want to build me an 8 second car!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's bigger and looks like it will be more comfortable than my apt...
Old 09-06-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Jim. I agree on finding a niche. I have tools and some skills but just unsure on what i'm willing to take on. It has to be something that will make considerable money and it for sure has to be something I enjoy.

My problem is i'm burnt out with my job but I can't do anything at the house that will come out the same doller/hr as I can make working overtime.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:39 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
My problem is i'm burnt out with my job but I can't do anything at the house that will come out the same doller/hr as I can make working overtime.
screw overtime. for me at least recently its not all about money. if i can find something to do at home that i enjoy and can make enough to get by i might just give it a try.

its not that i hate my job but i just dont want to keep doing it for another 20years.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I like the idea of turbos for BMWs....that would be a great niche. Most BMW owners have money, and they're not used to having performance upgrades available, so you would/could own that niche.

Garage looks great!!! Congrats on seeing the fruits of your labor. Can't wait to see more.

Quick Reply: now this is exciting. going to build a nice garage