THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

now this is exciting. going to build a nice garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:04 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like it would be easier to form the walls on top of the allready done footing.

really i just paid someone to do that work for me. concrete work isn't for me. i am doing the rest of it. working on ordering the trusses today. very exciting.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
next is to build a wall on top of the footings. to the right it will be 12" tall but all the way to the left it will be 60" tall. then you fill it all in with dirt and be flat on the inside.
I see. Can't wait to see more progress.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Just wondering how come you didn't do it all in one shot. Was it a money thing, or just didn't have the right forms? (damn concrete is expensive, lol) I've helped pore a couple garages and small buildings, and we dug the footings, did all the dirt work, formed up the walls and pored the floor all in one shot.

i know what your saying now. that is called a floating slab. where i live you are limited to a 750sqft building if you are going to do that type of footing/floor. that is what i did on my last garage.

a floating slab is nice and easy. you only have to be something like 12" thick on the edges. it is prety much just a slab with thick edges. once the building gets a certain size you need front line footings and here that means 42" deep. then since my building in on a sloap i have to keep all the footings at 42" below grade and then build the stem walls to make everything even up top.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I am so jelous. I will build one myself some day. Congrats.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

i know what your saying now. that is called a floating slab. where i live you are limited to a 750sqft building if you are going to do that type of footing/floor. that is what i did on my last garage.

a floating slab is nice and easy. you only have to be something like 12" thick on the edges. it is prety much just a slab with thick edges. once the building gets a certain size you need front line footings and here that means 42" deep. then since my building in on a sloap i have to keep all the footings at 42" below grade and then build the stem walls to make everything even up top.
Yeah, makes sense. That can definately add to the costs.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Floating slabs is all they do around here. Houses, garages, you name it. It must have to do with the weather and all the moisture in ground during the winter there.

It's looking good though, but might I suggest running some plumbing before you put the floor in. It looks like it'd be an awful long walk to the house in the snow to take a **** and/or wash your hands.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Floating slabs is all they do around here. Houses, garages, you name it. It must have to do with the weather and all the moisture in ground during the winter there.

It's looking good though, but might I suggest running some plumbing before you put the floor in. It looks like it'd be an awful long walk to the house in the snow to take a **** and/or wash your hands.
Ya, when you live where it freezes, you have to have pore the footing below the frost line (42"), so you don't get "heaving" where the ground freezes and lifts the foundation, causing it to crack and break.

Different areas have different codes and building practices
Old 03-29-2008, 03:50 PM
single digit dreamer

there will be a bathroom out there. along with heat, cable, phone, internet and a 200amp service. i am hopeing i can get a 50" or larger flat panel for under $1000 buy the time i am ready for a tv out there. right now you can get a nice 42" for under $1k
Old 03-29-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

there will be a bathroom out there. along with heat, cable, phone, internet and a 200amp service. i am hopeing i can get a 50" or larger flat panel for under $1000 buy the time i am ready for a tv out there. right now you can get a nice 42" for under $1k
What, no AC??? It gets hot for a couple weeks in the summer ya know,
Old 03-29-2008, 05:09 PM
single digit dreamer

oh yeah, it will be cooled too. i plan on taking that smaller part of the building and finishing it off really nice.

Quick Reply: now this is exciting. going to build a nice garage