THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Oil 77.70 a barrel and droping

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TxSqueeze
I was a Well Inspector for them.

You are sadly mistaken if you think oil companies set the price of oil.
WE made our money by working our ******* ***' off. Ever been away from your family for 4 to 10 months at a time, just so you can provide for them? Our days start around 4 in the morning and could end at 4 in the afternoon 50 hours later, with NO sleep. While you were struggling to get to work, we were struggling AT work, just so we could provide for the people that depend on us.

Anyways, I am finished with this particular topic. I guess it's different when you witness a friend be blown to peices by a Line Heater, which was a father of three, all under the age of seven. Blown to peices just trying to provide for a family. Maybe you would have a little pity if you had seen the faces of those three kids crying at the funeral, not completly understanding why their father would not return.

It's almost like Military.
Military looses lives everyday to protect your freedom.
Oil Field looses lives everyday to supply products for your everyday lives; lives that the Military is fighting for.
All in all they both loose lives to provide for someone ELSE. People like you that have no "pity"

Side not: If it wasn't for us working in the oil field here in the United States, the price of fuel that you say you are struggling to pay for, would be DOUBLE. Having to rely on 100% of foreign countries. Keep that in mind.

Ugghhhh , yeah. I was in the military for 8 years and deployed many times. Know what its like to be away from you family for years? I do. Know what its like to see friends killed, yes been there. Now I am a correctional officer( you want these people on the streets, dont think so), so safety and working and being away from family hasnt changed, both of these were my chosen jobs. I can quit doing it whenever, but when oil companies show record profits while others struggle, I dont want to hear any whining from the oil company. Sorry, but this is my opinion and I can respect yours because that is your way of life.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line is. They don't set the prices. They reached record profit by finding cheaper ways to produce. allowing them to spend less money.
Just read one of the other numerous threads this argument has been done in over and over in.
Saves time.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Bottom line is. They don't set the prices. They reached record profit by finding cheaper ways to produce. allowing them to spend less money.
Just read one of the other numerous threads this argument has been done in over and over in.
Saves time.
Ohhhh, is that why the quality of gasoline has gone down. Oh, I see know. Just messing with ya.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Where's the Beef?

lol. probably. the E85 probably helped their profit. wouldn't doubt it one bit.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Where's the Beef?

Don't get us wrong. Everyone here feels the same as you. But don't blame the company for doing what it's supposed to do and that's be profitable.
The problem lies in the calculation of the price and in the economy. Economy is getting better, prices are getting better. Value of the dollar goes up, dollar per gallon goes down.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see where you are coming from. I too thought that UNTIL I started working in the oil field. No, I don't agree with the money CEO's make. But they are making that money, not us. We are the one's making it for them! It pisses me off every day knowing I'm making $80k a year, while these CEO's are making millions a month, sitting on their ***, and bitching that's it's raining and had to cancel their tee-time. But I still have to provide for my family just like everyone else. BUT when the oil market crashes, I will be starting a Repo Service!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by viciousknid

Yeah they buy offshore,because they don't want to loose their profits paying american worker's wage's,only when the spec's raise the bar and increase the value they decide it can be profitable to bring the on shore facilities on line!

And now you have opec promising to reduce overall production again to put the floor back under their profit windfall!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TxSqueeze
I can see where you are coming from. I too thought that UNTIL I started working in the oil field. No, I don't agree with the money CEO's make. But they are making that money, not us. We are the one's making it for them! It pisses me off every day knowing I'm making $80k a year, while these CEO's are making millions a month, sitting on their ***, and bitching that's it's raining and had to cancel their tee-time. But I still have to provide for my family just like everyone else. BUT when the oil market crashes, I will be starting a Repo Service!
Haha, im with ya on the repo service. I dont blame the oil companies for the price either, and I dont have anything to do with the oil field. You cant blame a company for great profits. The fuel price and our dependence on it is a problem caused by the government. Check out some of the fuel efficient turbo diesel and gasoline cars GM PRODUCES and sells in the UK. Can't sell them over here because of federal emissions and saftey standards. Now the heavy duty work trucks running all over the road get on average 5mpg less, thanks to the new federal emissions standards. Gotta love a clean air program that uses more fuel to burn out a DPF.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not going to get into oil argument as its been done over and over. However, I will say that those CEO's earn their money (in any company). No other job ultimately has your *** on the line for so many things that you have to trust other people with because there aren't enough hours in the day.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

How much money does CEOs of Disney, Warner Bros, Huge Investment Firms. They make the same if not more than oil companies do. The oil field is a huge risk. You guys have any clue how much money they spend to complete a well and constantly work on it? you dont just drill a hole 10 feet in the ground and wow and heres billions of dollars. its costs millions to drill a single well depending on the depth and if you hit a dry hole, thats millions lost. Work is constantly done on wells changing rods, pumps, plungers, chemicals, etc. you get a hole in the casing or bad tubing it is very costly. yes they make alot of money but they put back alot towards exploration and drilling. Oil companies are taxed more than any one. how many times do you think a barrel of oil is taxed before it gets to your car? they also donate quite a bit of money to schools and charities. Chesapeak always donates for local organizations..my views of gas prices and all really changed once i started workin in the oilfield

Quick Reply: Oil 77.70 a barrel and droping