THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Oil 77.70 a barrel and droping

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Money put into the company shouldnt come out of the reported profits, that should already be taken into account and whats left is the reported profit. I am sorry my views on the oil companies is not like some of yours, but its the way I feel. I know the oil workers work hard and its expensive to drill, and I know its dangerous. There are alot of dangerous jobs, but my point is that I feel the oil companies have taken advantage of us with a product we all need. These are just my opinions, not looking for an arguement.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawz2004
Money put into the company shouldnt come out of the reported profits, that should already be taken into account and whats left is the reported profit. I am sorry my views on the oil companies is not like some of yours, but its the way I feel. I know the oil workers work hard and its expensive to drill, and I know its dangerous. There are alot of dangerous jobs, but my point is that I feel the oil companies have taken advantage of us with a product we all need. These are just my opinions, not looking for an arguement.
Oil companies dont set the prices. You need to thank Supply, Demand, and Speculators for high prices
Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pretty simple analogy for you. Let's say the that the entire world's oil is a corporation. I can't remember the exact number but let's say the US controls 5% of the world's oil or 5% of stock in the corporation. Now it comes time to vote to set prices. Do you think the 5% really sets the prices? If you do, you're wrong.

I wish you could see some invoices for oil companies. How would you like to buy a $100,000 diamond plated drill bit that lasts for 4 days?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blame the Dairy farmer for the price of milk.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by viciousknid
I blame the Dairy farmer for the price of milk.
****** farmers lets go **** with them .. wheat was like a8 bucks a bushel. thats twice of what it was a year ago, bread was outragously high. i could even afford to feed my family cause of farmers jackin the prices up
Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TxSqueeze
And for those that WANT the oil market to drop off, think of the millions of people that rely on the oil market to provide for their families. Kind of a gutless, cowerdly thing to wish for.

im not going to bust your bubble or pick a fight.
i do not know how old you are, but i am old enough to remember the high price of gas and oil back during jimmy carters term.
gas was lmost 4 bucks a gallon and after reagon took over as pres, by his 3rd year gas was as low as 89 cents a gallon.
now it does not matter if gas sells for 4.00 or 0.89 a gallon, the oil company that made it, made profit.
0.89 may not be as much as 4.00 but profit is profit. they make money regaurdless of the sale price.
the only time i know the oil companys took a loss was during the build of the alaskin pipe line.
now when a company as large as walmart can post profits of 400 million every quater world wide, while a company not even half the size like Exxon/Moble can post 10 billion every quator just off of america alone.
i dont fell sorry for any of them.
if you lose your job in the oil market because oil and gas is not selling at a high price any more, well thats just not true.
the company has to keep profit margins high,and cutting jobs is the easy way for them not to spend it any more.
like i said, even if gas sells for 89 cents a gallon their still making money.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thiems
Here is a pretty simple analogy for you. Let's say the that the entire world's oil is a corporation. I can't remember the exact number but let's say the US controls 5% of the world's oil or 5% of stock in the corporation. Now it comes time to vote to set prices. Do you think the 5% really sets the prices? If you do, you're wrong.

I wish you could see some invoices for oil companies. How would you like to buy a $100,000 diamond plated drill bit that lasts for 4 days?
hell i figured bits these days would be higher..and if your drilling an 18,000 ft well and it take a month or so..that a fair bit of money in just bits alone..i wonder how much diesel they burn in that period
Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Laugh at me if you want, but like I said before all of these expenses are taken out before a reported profit is posted. Even after everyone is paid, taxes are paid, all expenses are paid (including drill bits), there is still a huge profit that came from taking advantage of people with a needed product.I know you didnt set the price, or any of the ones that actually do the dirty work, but you cant make me believe that oil companies have no influence or control over the price we pay at the pump. And the price of milk is a direct result of greedy oil companies.Flame on.LOL.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Laugh at me if you want, but like I said before all of these expenses are taken out before a reported profit is posted. Even after everyone is paid, taxes are paid, all expenses are paid (including drill bits), there is still a huge profit that came from taking advantage of people with a needed product.I know you didnt set the price, or any of the ones that actually do the dirty work, but you cant make me believe that oil companies have no influence or control over the price we pay at the pump. And the price of milk is a direct result of greedy oil companies.Flame on.LOL.
Tell me how they influence or control gas prices.. there are propably 500,000 oil companies. think they all get together say hey i want a barrel of oil to be 150 bucks? alot depends on the rag heads in the middle east too
Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
Tell me how they influence or control gas prices.. there are propably 500,000 oil companies. think they all get together say hey i want a barrel of oil to be 150 bucks?
Exactly. How about holding tankers offshore until the market demand is higher and then saying there is a shortage or a natural disaster, then charge outragous prices for it. Why does the price of gas skyrocket and the pumps reflect it that day, yet the cost of oil now is cheaper and you barely see a reflection in the pump prices for two weeks. How about during a hurricane, they drive up the price for a gallon even before a storm hits. What about deisel, trucks have ran off crude deisel for how many years? Now all of a sudden it needs an additive so we have to charge more for it. IMO the oil companies saw they were missing out on a large profit with goods being trucked across country, and now their greed reflects in everything we buy or use. We get hit at the store, at the gas pump, and on our utility bills. Thats it for tonight, I am getting off work here shortly, thanks for the interesting conversation and I apologize if I offended anyone.

Last edited by outlawz2004; 10-13-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil 77.70 a barrel and droping