THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Petroleum Engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petroleum Engineering?

Still in high school and im thinking if this whould be a good career for me to follow but i whould like to get the inside skoop in it see if the money and time whould be worth it. anyone one here involved with it?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Petroleum engineering is ALWAYS on the top of the salary list for all engineers, and not just marginally. While most other engineering professions come out with their 4 year degree making 60-65k to start, biomedical and maybe one other in the low 80s, petroleum engineering salaries start at 105k+. Definitely a great field to get into.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Teching In

so 4 years of college is what i should be looking at if i do deside to go into the field?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it is really something to look into. After working in the oilfield for 4 years now I really wish I would have actually applied my self to my schooling and went to college to be a petroleum engineer.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, go petroleum engineer or mechanical/chemical engineer and then aim for the petroleum companies. Mechanical/Chemical get very nearly the same salary but have more options for employment if you are ever in a pickle.

Petroleum is more specialized but it still likely has many decades of good times ahead. (unless some ridiculous legislation is passed....)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Teching In

A BIG advantage that i have is that i live in Pasadena Tx, i have petroleum companies litterly down the street from me. also University of Houston Cullen College of Engineering has interships and will provide an early link between me and oil and gas companies.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be ready for a tough curriculum, and probably more like 5 years worth of school. 4 years is if youre taking a full load every semester and with the type of curriculum that most engineering degrees have you wont be able to maintain a good GPA unless youre content with not having a like outside of school for 4 years.

Im going to school for civil engineering which is about the most broad discipline of engineering. Im already in the field being a construction inspector so it was convenient but if times get really tough Ive got more options than most other engineering fields. If you settle for some of the **** jobs then civil doesnt pay crap but a civil with a PE and some experience you can knock down 100K+ pretty easily, and 300K if youre willing to go on the road.

Petroleum would be good for where youre at too, but with being so young Id be leary of all this green movement BS. Then again youve probably got plenty of time to make bank and if **** hits the fan be able to kick back and relax because of the money youve already made.

Just realize that engineering is tough and half will drop out or change majors in their freshman year. Stick to it and it will be worth it, having a degree in something that has an actual tangeable skill is great no matter what discipline ou go into.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Be ready for a tough curriculum, and probably more like 5 years worth of school. 4 years is if youre taking a full load every semester and with the type of curriculum that most engineering degrees have you wont be able to maintain a good GPA unless youre content with not having a like outside of school for 4 years.

Just realize that engineering is tough and half will drop out or change majors in their freshman year. Stick to it and it will be worth it, having a degree in something that has an actual tangeable skill is great no matter what discipline ou go into.
This is very true. Being a Manufacturing Engineering major myself, and working as much as possible grades are hard to maintain at a high level. Hard work, dedication will pay off. Don't go dickin around your first year of college and waste it.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Teching In

thanks for the great advice guys! i keep my B average right now in school, couple of advanced course, but passing and keeping my grades up in college is what im terrifed of!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just for reference, I had above a 96 average in highschool with advanced courses. My GPA is dismal compared to that now. Study, attend class, do homework. Don't know the answer. ASK QUESTIONS. Study. Have I mentioned Study yet?

EDIT: It can be done with great grades, there just needs to be great effort and stay on top of your ****.

Last edited by jg53; 11-29-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Petroleum Engineering?