THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Petroleum Engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took an average of 18 hours per semester to pack mechanical engineering and business minor into 4 years. Worked/did internships over the summers.

Year 1 was easy
Year 2 was harder
Year 3 was most difficult
Year 4 was about the same as year 2. (easy by comparison)

During year 3, I literally spent more time on campus in the mechanical engineering computer lab and classes than I did at home. Rarely was I at an actual library.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
DO NOT major in psychology, sociology, art, or any other bullshit like that.
Agreed with everything you said, especially this.

I always say, if you don't already have a plan of what you want to do with your degree then don't go to college. Too many people go and waste their money on a degree with no future. These people have basically ruined college forever by driving up the cost and helping create a generation of debtors.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
Business major is a throwdown for people who don't know what to major in. The degree is a dime a dozen.
Going to disagree with this. Broad spectrum of job opportunities, from oil and gas, to medical, to finance, to manufacturing. Look at the acceptance rates at top business schools and their starting salaries, definitely not a dime a dozen. I am going to give you a pass this time because I assume you read it on the internet somewhere and are merely repeating it.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

That being said...I don't know how many of my would-be-peers dropped out of engineering to study business. Business seems to scoop up what technical majors spit out. It's no surprise that business degrees are considered in that light, given what can be seen in academic advising offices on a weekly basis. I remember being frustrated with it and wanting to switch into a more forgiving major, but I didn't want to study business or psychology, or any of that BS. Technical majors are where its at
Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Going to disagree with this. Broad spectrum of job opportunities, from oil and gas, to medical, to finance, to manufacturing. Look at the acceptance rates at top business schools and their starting salaries, definitely not a dime a dozen. I am going to give you a pass this time because I assume you read it on the internet somewhere and are merely repeating it.
I'd have to agree with him, business seems to be a catch-all for everyone who doesn't know what they want to do or couldn't hack it in engineering/medicine. Do you have a business degree?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I have a minor in economics just because I needed a break from all my engineering classes and took some business ones Its so much easier on that side of campus its rediculous
Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by bud8fan
im a "rig rat" with no degree making over 250k....my son is a "rig rat" w/ no degree making 200k so being a " rig rat" aint so bad....
Never said it was, the schedule yall work just isn't for me. My cousin sits out on an oil platform in the gulf for a month at a time. I'd go nutts being caged up like that.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Never said it was, the schedule yall work just isn't for me. My cousin sits out on an oil platform in the gulf for a month at a time. I'd go nutts being caged up like that.
not me bro..im a land lubber...lol
we work a 14 on/off schedule so only work 1/2 a year...not bad at all
Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM

Yall hiring?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I'd have to agree with him, business seems to be a catch-all for everyone who doesn't know what they want to do or couldn't hack it in engineering/medicine. Do you have a business degree?
Yes. I think this is a silly argument. They are two vastly different fields, both can and probably will lead to six figure jobs, though petroleum engineers may make that right out of school. If you want to study your butt off, go engineering, if you want to party and hang out with friends, go business. If someone got into an engineering school, they are obviously smart, so to say they would have an easier time in business is probably an accurate statement.

And I am assuming you went to UT by your avatar. McCombs is one of the top business schools in the country and one would be very fortunate to get in. My friends that did graduate from McCombs are out earning my friends with petroleum engineering degrees.

Quick Reply: Petroleum Engineering?