THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Petroleum Engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
If you want to study your butt off, go engineering, if you want to party and hang out with friends, go business.
Hm I don't think that statement is gonna fly so well in these parts lol.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. I think this is a silly argument. They are two vastly different fields, both can and probably will lead to six figure jobs, though petroleum engineers may make that right out of school. If you want to study your butt off, go engineering, if you want to party and hang out with friends, go business. If someone got into an engineering school, they are obviously smart, so to say they would have an easier time in business is probably an accurate statement.

And I am assuming you went to UT by your avatar. McCombs is one of the top business schools in the country and one would be very fortunate to get in. My friends that did graduate from McCombs are out earning my friends with petroleum engineering degrees.
Unfortunately I cant say I went to UT yet, Im finishing up my basics and looking to transfer next year. Had some life issues that set me back and as you know Im married and have a kid so my progress is slow but steady.

Obviously theyre two completely different degree plans, I was merely making an observation from what Ive seen personally. Thats not to say that evreyone who gets that degree couldnt hack it in some other field, Im sure there are plenty who truly do want a business degree. All I was simply stating was that the guy's statement wasnt totally unfounded IMO. Business degrees are going to be looked down on bit by most engineers due to the easier course content, just like Im sure the business students look down on the idiots that get the art, political, sociology, etc degrees.

Also, the school you graduate from has a huge bearing on what you can get job wise. A BA from McCombs isnt going to be the same as one from UofH Some people just get lucky too, if I stay with my current company after I graduate it definitely wont be worth my time to have gone through school because the payscale simply isnt there. Luckily Ive got other opportunities once I get my PE license and then it will really pay for me to have spent so much time/money in school. Plus my current company pays for a decent chunk of my schooling, its good experience in my field and will count towards my PE license

My comment wasnt anything against you or anyone who has a business degree, just my personal experience/observation in my time spent at a college.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be scared by some of the study hours some of these people are throwing around. If you're on campus from 8a-10p or 12a every day, you need to find a better way for you to learn because you're not being efficient. It'll be difficult and there will be times where you will seem to study all day but those days should be the exception, not the rule.

Ed. Note: I have nothing to do with the engineering field.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Anything in the oil field is good *** $$$$$$$$!!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by thiems
Don't be scared by some of the study hours some of these people are throwing around. If you're on campus from 8a-10p or 12a every day, you need to find a better way for you to learn because you're not being efficient. It'll be difficult and there will be times where you will seem to study all day but those days should be the exception, not the rule.

Ed. Note: I have nothing to do with the engineering field.
Is say I average about 20 hours a week between studying and homework but I'm not taking a full load either. I'm taking chem II after I took chem I 7 years ago so I'm basically learning both at the same time. I'm sure that adds a good bit of extra time but technically I'm only taking 8 hours. Next semester will be cal II and engineering physics so I'm sure my study will probably be the same if not a bit more. This is to get As though as you need basically a minimum 3.6(avg is a 3.75) to even be considered for the UT cockrell school of engineering. If you can get away with Bs I'd say you could damn near cut your time in half if you're not an idiot.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Unfortunately I cant say I went to UT yet, Im finishing up my basics and looking to transfer next year. Had some life issues that set me back and as you know Im married and have a kid so my progress is slow but steady.

Obviously theyre two completely different degree plans, I was merely making an observation from what Ive seen personally. Thats not to say that evreyone who gets that degree couldnt hack it in some other field, Im sure there are plenty who truly do want a business degree. All I was simply stating was that the guy's statement wasnt totally unfounded IMO. Business degrees are going to be looked down on bit by most engineers due to the easier course content, just like Im sure the business students look down on the idiots that get the art, political, sociology, etc degrees.

Also, the school you graduate from has a huge bearing on what you can get job wise. A BA from McCombs isnt going to be the same as one from UofH Some people just get lucky too, if I stay with my current company after I graduate it definitely wont be worth my time to have gone through school because the payscale simply isnt there. Luckily Ive got other opportunities once I get my PE license and then it will really pay for me to have spent so much time/money in school. Plus my current company pays for a decent chunk of my schooling, its good experience in my field and will count towards my PE license

My comment wasnt anything against you or anyone who has a business degree, just my personal experience/observation in my time spent at a college.
Congrats, UT is an awesome school (don't tell my A&M friends I said that ) I don't disagree that engineering is a harder program to get through, I was simply disagreeing with the sentiment that a business degree is "a dime a dozen" or isn't worthwhile. At A&M, the business kids didn't really look down on anyone and I don't think my engineering friends looked down on us; we were all doing different things and no one really took themselves too seriously. But in the end, someone going into college needs to go with what is best for them and matches their skillset. Study hard, make the grades and good things will happen.

OP, sorry for my tangent in your thread
Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Congrats, UT is an awesome school (don't tell my A&M friends I said that ) I don't disagree that engineering is a harder program to get through, I was simply disagreeing with the sentiment that a business degree is "a dime a dozen" or isn't worthwhile. At A&M, the business kids didn't really look down on anyone and I don't think my engineering friends looked down on us; we were all doing different things and no one really took themselves too seriously. But in the end, someone going into college needs to go with what is best for them and matches their skillset. Study hard, make the grades and good things will happen.

OP, sorry for my tangent in your thread
I think the UT/A&M is blown vastly out proportion by a bunch of over-zealous rednecks. Most level-headed people I know from either school have respect for the other.

On a side note, one of my buddies was in college station last Thursday and he was so pissed. Not because he gives a **** about football, but because he was out at Harrys ready to have a good time and he said the place just emptied after the game. Everyone was pissed, so needless to say, he didn't pick up anyone that night
Old 11-30-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

A&M gave the game away.. As for study hours, i'm doing marine engineering aswell as the program for the coast guard license (3rd assistant engineer) at A&M Galveston. Basically the mech engineering course schedule + ship maintenance and summer cruises. A few specialized classes and not all of the design classes of mech engineering. My mandatory 3 hour study hall won't cut it as far as studying goes. I believe job placement from here with my degree is 100% though.. Good money for working on stuff.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on going to CSM for a degree in petroleum engineering, runs in my family in a way
Definitely good field of study, especially if your degree is from a well known school for it.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the oil/gas field coming to an end anytime soon.... the big companies spend billions of dollars a year in research/development and production.... they wouldn't be doing that if it was short lived. I work in a refinery and the money that os thrown around by these companies is crazy. Just about every position in the oil field is well paying. FYI, san jaack ffers a two year process technology degree to be an operator and you can easily start out $75k+ a year only working 6 months of it with no overtime...

Quick Reply: Petroleum Engineering?