THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Petroleum Engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how I've managed to miss this thread... Anyways, I'm from an engineering family myself. My Grandfather was a mechanical engineer, graduate from Georgia Tech and my father is a civil engineer, graduate from Georgia Tech also. My grandfather was the lead engineer for Thomas & Betts for a little over 30 years, and my pops oversees 3,XXX guys for the State of Georgia on large-scale building projects. They've both done very well for themselves financially, and that was my intention to go into the same field, but it didn't work out that way. I'm actually a Biology/Pre-Med student, myself. I graduated from a private high school, and two of my close friends went off to Tech--the other went to UGA. The one at UGA is there for business, although I honestly tried to talk him out of it. My father's sister graduated with a six-year degree from USC in international business. What does she do? She runs a gas station. Medical, engineering, or computers. That'd be my suggestion, bud. "They" say to do what you love, but that doesn't always bring home the money. My grandfather grew up very poor, but he always said that if you can manage 8-9 hours at work a day, at a job you enjoy a LITTLE less, then you'll love it more when you get home and can enjoy a check that allows you to do whatever you want. Needless to say, he loved his job. Make the best of what you've got. Don't party it away, because my mom's brother got a full-ride and managed to mess it all up with alcohol/drugs.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coban
Sorry to burst your bubble, but a petroleum engineering degree isn't what you need for those companies in Pasadena (or various refineries along the coast). You need a mechanical or chemical degree to work there. (or electrical)

With the petroleum degree, you will be working on the drilling side of the business. The upstream division of many oil companies are stationed in the energy corridor on the Katy Freeway. I took a petroleum class as an elective and we did a lot of the math associated with drilling techniques and reservoirs. Please note that mechanical/chemical engineers also have plenty of opportunities on this side.
i was also considering mechanical or chemical degrees but just like the petroleum degree, i have no idea what to expect. im trying to get as much info as i can to make sure i do make the right desision, i whould like to stay in houston and work here as well
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to work in Houston and have money to play with, oil and gas is a great choice. Lots of big E&P's headquartered here and they are always looking for talent.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
If you want to work in Houston and have money to play with, oil and gas is a great choice. Lots of big E&P's headquartered here and they are always looking for talent.
any ideas one what degeeres can help me achive this?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alex151
any ideas one what degeeres can help me achive this?
You know what you want to be working in when you are out of college (energy trading, risk management, investment banking, consulting, geology, engineering; office job, site job, offshore job, etc) or what sector (upstream, midstream or downstream)?

If you can buckle down and make it through, petroleum engineering will give you a great start and almost guaranteed job. With oil prices hovering at $100 and predicted to only move higher, E&P's are drilling, as well as buying and selling oil and gas assets so there will definitely be a high demand for them. Geology will get you in as well, though it isn't as high paying and the pay scale might not be as steep. I got in on the business side with a degree in accounting and masters in finance. So, I guess it boils down to what you feel you would be best at as there are multiple ways of entry. Glassdoor.com provides some insight about the various positions, reviews and salary info from anonymous past and present employees of companies. Fuelfix.com and rigzone.com are a great sites for catching up on oil and gas news.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stephen, WTF do you know about this crap to give advice?

And when are you going to be in Austin to give me a ride in your soccer mom mobile
Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

i have also heard good stuff about process technition, not even close to any engineering job though. it sucks being clueless about all this but i want to get the inside skoop befor making any big desison. sorry for my ignorence but looking for some help lol
Old 12-02-2011, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to be "that guy" but do some work on your spelling. If you by any chance ever have to write something essay-related in a class, where you don't get to use spell-check on your computer, they'll rip you a new one for the most common errors.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't read the whole thread, but I did search each page for the term "renewable" and I can't believe that its not there.

While petroleum engineering is never going away in our lifetime, or that of our great grand kids, the payscale will not be as impressive (IMO) as that of a renewable energy engineer. That is someone who is well versed in solar / hydro / nuclear / etc.

This is the field that I am getting into, what I have noticed is that most colleges are gearing their curriculums toward this field because that is the future for low cost energy generation. We are obviously petroleum / fossil fuel biased right now, but in the next 5 years, we are going to see some significant breakthroughs in renewable energy. And renewable engineers will be in high demand.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:35 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only problem with that is renewable energy isn't going to be truly viable any time soon without massive government subsidies and as we all know the government isn't doing so hot at paying its bills. IMO, that would be a good degree in a few more decades.

Solar and wind aren't going to be cost effective for quite some time, hydro is awesome but you have to have water. Clean coal and nuclear are the future for our lifetime. With some breakthroughs I could see solar being viable but not any time soon. They still have far too large of a footprint for the power generated.

The NRC is finally releasing some unit licenses for new nuke plants. That's what I'd look into if you're set on an energy degree and not going into petroleum.

Quick Reply: Petroleum Engineering?