THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Samsung Galaxy s3 Battery Life (or other smart phones)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000chevysilverado
Mine does alright but the screens crack way to easy had it a week atleast it was free
I've actually had really good luck with mine
I have the commuter otter box & i shieldz and i've dropped mine half a dozen times from some decent heights too, no breaks...YET
Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really happy with my note II, the biggest reason I bought it was the battery life. I believe sprint rates the s3 at 8 hours and the note II at 15 hours. Either way I get almost a whole work day before I have to charge it and thats with real heavy use. Id say given the same usage my note II gets about 10 hours whereas my iphone 4s would get 4.5-5 and my evo would get 2.5-3. So it definitely delivers on battery life. My brother in law has the s3 and everything is basically the same just more battery life and a bigger screen. It is a big *** phone though and if you had small hands or a woman I wouldnt recommend it.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the SIII, upgraded from a Droid X2. It's less than what I thought it would be as far as battery life, but I have learned to manage it.

the single worst thing for the battery is the screen. I changed the settings so the screen times out sooner. I close all my apps a half dozen times a day. little stuff like this has added up to change the life, but I still end up charging at least twice a day. The nice thing is the SIII charges really quick
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I have the S3 and my battery lasts all day. Charge it every night, turn of bluetooth and wifi until you need it, auto dim the screen, turn off gps. A big one is also make sure it has good reception....if you keep it in a metal box (like a locker) it will use a ton of battery trying to find a signal. In those cases I use airplane mode.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomic
I have the S3 and my battery lasts all day. Charge it every night, turn of bluetooth and wifi until you need it, auto dim the screen, turn off gps. A big one is also make sure it has good reception....if you keep it in a metal box (like a locker) it will use a ton of battery trying to find a signal. In those cases I use airplane mode.
How heavy are you using it to have it last all day? I do charge it every night cause its dead by bed time haha.
Does the bluetooth really use noticable power? Kinda keeps searching type thing?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 PM
I have a gauge for that

I have never used bluetooth so I cant comment on its usage...I text pretty much all day with some phone calls, use the internet lightly, but dont play games or use many apps.
Ive had it unplugged about 10 hours today and its at 70%
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomic
I have never used bluetooth so I cant comment on its usage...I text pretty much all day with some phone calls, use the internet lightly, but dont play games or use many apps.
Ive had it unplugged about 10 hours today and its at 70%
has yours done the huge new update? i think it came out about a week ago, changed the notification window, key board, google searching etc etc. it was a huge update and it was after that I really noticed the battery sucking!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 PM
I have a gauge for that

Not sure.....I think I disabled updates after that bs one after the apple lawsuit. Mines android version 4.0.4
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

As an android owner for 2 years now... everything that I've figured out as far as battery life on these phones can be summed up into 3 words.

Extended Life Battery
Old 12-16-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is funny to me... I have an S3 and I get 2 days out of it sometimes, but usually still charge every night. GSam battery monitor tells me my average battery life is 1 day 5 hours. Turn everything off. If I'm not going to be "using" the phone, mobile data gets turned off, wifi, bluetooth, GPS and sync all get turned off and then turn on "power saving" mode. When you need data, turn it back on. You'll still get pushed notifications and everything like normal, it just won't download text pictures or connect to internet until you turn data back on. Samsung made all of this so easy with the pull down notification screen. When I get home, I turn on wifi, it draws less power than the mobile data connection. Screen uses the most power also so the more screen time, less battery time regardless of settings.

Also, a computer USB port will only provide 500ma for your phone while the stock charger is 1 amp. Use a 1 amp charger if possible, makes life a lot easier.

Another thing is to use the back button when you're done with an app, it unloads the app so it will not continue to use processor power. Except the internet browser, the back button won't exit that app. And don't kill your apps unless you have problems, that only causes CPU cycling when it immediately starts them all again. The phone is smarter than you are when it comes to app management, let it do it's thing.

If you get crazy battery drain in a short period of time, turn the phone off for a minute and restart, or at the very least reboot it. If that continues, you got a bad app somewhere, it's not the phones fault.

Cell tower signal is also a big player, if you have poor signal all day long, you will have very poor battery life, no fixing that. That's probably why I get such good battery life, I have a fairly good signal all day. I got decent life with my D2 also.

Quick Reply: Samsung Galaxy s3 Battery Life (or other smart phones)