THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Samsung Galaxy s3 Battery Life (or other smart phones)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atomic
Not sure.....I think I disabled updates after that bs one after the apple lawsuit. Mines android version 4.0.4
mines at 4.1.1 so I must be a few updates ahead of you
Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KC_kid
This is funny to me... I have an S3 and I get 2 days out of it sometimes, but usually still charge every night. GSam battery monitor tells me my average battery life is 1 day 5 hours. Turn everything off. If I'm not going to be "using" the phone, mobile data gets turned off, wifi, bluetooth, GPS and sync all get turned off and then turn on "power saving" mode. When you need data, turn it back on. You'll still get pushed notifications and everything like normal, it just won't download text pictures or connect to internet until you turn data back on. Samsung made all of this so easy with the pull down notification screen. When I get home, I turn on wifi, it draws less power than the mobile data connection. Screen uses the most power also so the more screen time, less battery time regardless of settings.

Also, a computer USB port will only provide 500ma for your phone while the stock charger is 1 amp. Use a 1 amp charger if possible, makes life a lot easier.

Another thing is to use the back button when you're done with an app, it unloads the app so it will not continue to use processor power. Except the internet browser, the back button won't exit that app. And don't kill your apps unless you have problems, that only causes CPU cycling when it immediately starts them all again. The phone is smarter than you are when it comes to app management, let it do it's thing.

If you get crazy battery drain in a short period of time, turn the phone off for a minute and restart, or at the very least reboot it. If that continues, you got a bad app somewhere, it's not the phones fault.

Cell tower signal is also a big player, if you have poor signal all day long, you will have very poor battery life, no fixing that. That's probably why I get such good battery life, I have a fairly good signal all day. I got decent life with my D2 also.
you must have the ultimate s3 battery then haha, cause even the mrs only uses hers after work and hers still dies after the same amount of use as mine.
but basically what i'm gathering is...if you wanna have the battery last, dont use the phone. turn off everything and only turn it on to check texts then turn it back off haha

I downloaded that Juice Defender basic last night, so I'll see how that helps out today, it says specifically "this is NOT an app killer" and it has 7,000,000 downloads and a 4.5/5 rating so it must be half decent
Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Droid RAZR Max is supposed to be the top dog when it comes to battery life. I unplug my phone in the morning and sometimes I even forget to charge it over night and as long as I use it with moderation the next day its good until that next night.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
you must have the ultimate s3 battery then haha

I downloaded that Juice Defender basic last night
No, I don't have a big battery. I honestly think it's because I get good cell signal and I manually turn the screen off instead of letting it time out.

I used to use Juice Defender on my D2, it is a good app, not an app killer. It auto toggles data for you when your screen turns off, if you set it up like that. I used it for a few weeks on the S3 but really don't need it since samsung is so much easier to use than motorola, in my opinion. The S3 is a great phone.