THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Saturday= sickest day of my life, totaled the TBSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saturday= sickest day of my life, totaled the TBSS

Well first off, I really shouldn't be alive right now.

So Saturday night I was driving just down the road from my house. I had a buddy with me and it had just stopped raining. I came up on a sharp curve in the road (I knew it was there) and began to brake. The *** end of the TB drifted to the right sending the back right tire into soaking wet grass.
Once the back right hit the grass the whole *** of the SUV slid up which brought the driver side tire into the grass as well, at that time both wheels were locked under braking. I turned the wheel to the right to bring the wheels back on pavement, the vehicle responded but with more momentum than I had expected. So a few turns the other way to straighten the vehicle back out was needed. And I did, several too many though apparently which put the rear tires back on grass. But this time the grass was only level to about 2 feet deep when it turns into a steep ditch. At this point we're sliding perpendicular to the road while shifting backward also. Now the rear dips into the ditch and all hell brakes loose... the top heavy SUV now rolls what we estimate to be 3-5 full rotations. Amazingly missing solid pine trees on the side of the road and eventually skidding to a halt on it's roof. I took a minute to collect myself and immediately turned the key off, out of instinct even though the newer vehicles have fuel shutoff safetys and what not. Next I braced my knees on the dash to release my safety belt, at that point my buddy starts to lose it... "what the **** happened!! how the **** do I get out! I cant get out!" I somehow what in a state of calmness, my thoughts while spinning were, 'I can't believe this is happening', and now all I was concerned with was getting the 2 of us out safely. I thought the best way would be to kick out the windshield but after seeing pavement in place of where the windshield is suppose to be I looked to the rear. All 4 doors were a no go, but I could see the rear hatch glass was all shattered... there was our exit. I told Matt to settle down and that we're ok, and to follow me out the back. He gathered his emotions and pursued out. We both climbed out and walked away from the $37,000 crushed can. Neither of us were harmed... I have never had any experience like that in my entire life. I'd rather take my chances with a fire fight on the streets of Fallujah than be in a rolling accident with no control.

My wife got a ride to the sceene and immediatly ran to me pouring tears out of her eyes like a fire hydrant. I apologized to my buddy Matt over and over for putting his life in jeopardy. He understood what had happened and kept saying that he's fine and there's nothing either of us could've done.

I wasn't drinking so don't think I was one of the dumbasses who gets drunk, drives, get's in a wrek and lives because of the limberness due to alcohol. The only thing I can accredit to being alive are God and the awesome job bu GM to make a truly safe vehicle. I thank God for being alive and that my kids and my wife were not in the vehicle.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

HOLY CRAP, glad your OK and nothing bad happened to either you or your passenger.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so sorry. I don't wish that on anyone. We are all glad you two came out alive. Maybe I should have gotten curtain air bags in my Fj Cruiser You two have been blessed for sure
Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, I'm glad that both you and your friend were able to walk away unscathed and tell this story.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if paid off or so. contact MATER on this site. he buys GM rebuildables and totals. he would be highly interested in your truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i highly recomend doing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quik
if paid off or so. contact MATER on this site. he buys GM rebuildables and totals. he would be highly interested in your truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i highly recomend doing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
glad your OK

pm me if u want to sell it!

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 08-14-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hold bejeasums!!!

can you say, "Side curtain airbags FTMFW!"
glad to hear ya'll survived without harm, the truck's replaceable, but to those that love you there's nothing that can be done to replace you.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:33 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DUDE! Glad you are OK, that could have been SO much worse! Keep your chin up, someone is watching over you!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you made it out ok. I did something similar in 92 with a CRX Si. Buddy had his seatbelt on and I didnt. Going down a wet road and hydroplaned while doing 65 mph. I lost control and blacked out for a second. I recognized I was out and pulled myself through it. I looked out the drivers window and I was about 3 feet off the ground looking at the road pass by, the bottom of the car was facing the direction I was going. At which point it landed while I was still looking out the window. The door immediatly came up and popped me in the bridge of the nose busting a 3" long opening. I had a f'ing death grip on the steering wheel. It rolled several more time. I felt the roof cave in and touch the top of my head. It finally came to rest, strateling a 5 foot deep ditch filled with water. I was the only one hurt.

Quick Reply: Saturday= sickest day of my life, totaled the TBSS