THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

SD Card issue! (GEEKS, Help me retrieve my pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SD Card issue! (GEEKS, Help me retrieve my pics!)

Well it finally happened to me,...one of my SD cards will not let me access it to download my 250+ pictures on it. The wife is pissed at me thinking that it is because I drag the camera under the truck all of the time to snap some action shots. Here is what the issue is:

I went to download the 250+ pics to the PC (Dell) using Corell like I always do (did some 3-4000 pictures in 5 years). I have used this 2gig SD card numerous times with the same camera and same PC. Pushed the 2G SanDisk into my built-in card reader and Corell popped up and instructed me that pictures were found and asked me how I would like to handle them. I began the download process however the computer "hung" for like 5 minutes, freezing the screen (could not access anything even task manager). I did a stupid thing and pulled the SD card out of the built in card reader which gave me control of the PC again. Repeated the download process this time the automatic prompt for pic download did not occur. Attempted to retrieve the files from the Corell program however it does not see the SD card as inserted.

So, here is my troubleshooting efforts:

1. Took the SD card to work and plugged it into a USB card reader/writer. As soon as I insert the card into the card reader, the PC now doesn't even recognize the reader! Take the SD card out and the PC shows the card reader again.

2. Took the SD card and inserted it into the Cannon digi camera and I get a message "Memory card error, Card is Locked!" O.K., checked the slider on the SD card and it is in the correct position, checked every reader (my PC and work) to make sure the tabbs (inside the reader) that read the SD card for locked/unlocked were not bent or anything. All was fine.

3. I took a spare SD card (256), snapped some pictures with the same camera and repeated everything I did with the 2G SD card. This card works just fine and I am able to upload the pics, do not get error messages etc. I mimic all the motions with the spare card side-by-side with the 2G card and confirm that the 2G card just plain will not be recognized by the PC.

4. Downloaded numerous free recovery software however they only work if you can have communication between the card and the PC. I just can't get the PC to "see" this card.

5. Carefully cleaned the contacts of the SD card with electrical contact cleaner and tried EVERYTHING again. No Dice.

6. Reloaded the software that came with the Camera in hopes that one of the drivers got messed up or something. Tried Everything again...still will not recognize that the card is in the drive.

7. This gave me a glimmer of hope... I inserted the card into the PC prior to turning it on. Powered up and the card reader LED was blinking and then solid for like 2 minutes. HOWEVER, the PC would not fully boot up (hung with a black screen)...I let it sit for 15 minutes like this. I then pulled out the SD card and the PC immediately finished the booting.

8. Last resort, I tried to see if I can "format" the SD card with the PC or the camera (I was going to take the risk that the pictures will be lost forever if the recovery software didn't work after the format). Same deal, the camera and the PC cannot recognize the SD card so it will not let me format.

So, any takers??? I obviously screwed the pooch by taking the SD card out the first time it was being read however now I cannot get recognition between multiple PC's and the SD card.

I will cut cold hard cash to anyone who can retrieve my pictures! I have my girls first day of school, truck build pictures and a host of other vacation shots that I would hate to lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you "see" the card (or any card) in the reader by going to
"my computer" without using any programs?
It should be in the driver and device list.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 AM
apple bottom jeans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vista or XP?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:29 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice avatar Dusty Yeah Kev, don't try to re-format. Get a pc running and insert card. Then go to "my computer" and see if the card reader is listed as a "drive" and try to access the card properties from there.

Around here they have a lot of technical resourses at your disposal, if you cant get it to read perhaps you can send it off for a small fee to be recovered?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

1. Windows XP
2. Nope, the card cannot be seen as a drive under "my computer". That is what is killing me, if i can get the card to be recognized, I have software to pull the files. Using a stand alone card reader, the PC (multiple ones, home / work) recognize the card reader as a seperate drive (drive I in this case) HOWEVER once the card is inserted into the card reader, the Drive I disappears from "My Computer". I even tried ALL of my USB ports in all of my computers, same deal. Today, I even tried my buddy's Mac laptop with the built in card reader...doesn't pop up as a drive. I tried linking the camera with the USB line to the PC and pulling the pics using the camera however I get the same message "Memory card error". At least the PC sees the Camera under "my computer"

VERY FRUSTRATING.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 AM
apple bottom jeans

http://www.filerecoverytools.com/download/

SD card

try this. for free it's worth a shot. it sounds like what you did (pull it out during a write process) left it in a state that's unable to start or finish what it was doing during the write.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by larsy87
http://www.filerecoverytools.com/download/

SD card

try this. for free it's worth a shot. it sounds like what you did (pull it out during a write process) left it in a state that's unable to start or finish what it was doing during the write.
Cool website. I am sure it will work however I cannot specify what drive letter the SD card is in since the PC will not recognize the card or the card reader with the card inserted (the PC will recognize the card reader and assign a drive letter under "My Computer" however as soon as the SD card is inserted into the card reader, the drive disappears. This only happens with this particular SD card on multiple PC's

From their website:

"Getting Started is Easy

After you have started, select the drive letter of your card reader or digital camera. Next you should specify a target folder. Click on START and wait a few minutes. F-Recovery for MultiMediaCard™ directly begins the data recovery. After F-Recovery for MultiMediaCard™ has read the entire medium, you will find the reconstructed files in the target folder. It's very simple to use. See more..."
Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
apple bottom jeans

Insert a known card, find what drive it is in, then input that. Just because *you* can't see it in the directory, doesn't mean the computer can't see it - can you manually input the drive?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 AM
apple bottom jeans

Originally Posted by krambo
Cool website. I am sure it will work however I cannot specify what drive letter the SD card is in since the PC will not recognize the card or the card reader with the card inserted (the PC will recognize the card reader and assign a drive letter under "My Computer" however as soon as the SD card is inserted into the card reader, the drive disappears. This only happens with this particular SD card on multiple PC's

From their website:

"Getting Started is Easy

After you have started, select the drive letter of your card reader or digital camera. Next you should specify a target folder. Click on START and wait a few minutes. F-Recovery for MultiMediaCard™ directly begins the data recovery. After F-Recovery for MultiMediaCard™ has read the entire medium, you will find the reconstructed files in the target folder. It's very simple to use. See more..."

OK try it with your camera plugged in, with memory card in the camera.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by larsy87
OK try it with your camera plugged in, with memory card in the camera.

You know, that is something I didn't try. I believe the PC recognizes the camera with the SD card in it however when I click on retrieve pictures, the PC tells me there are no pictures or there is no card inserted in the camera (can't remember exactly). The camera flashes "Memory Card Error" during this time as well.

This may be an "in" for SD recovery software to access the SD card. I will try tonight and post back!

I apreciate the responses guys! ...and I really mean the cash thing.

Quick Reply: SD Card issue! (GEEKS, Help me retrieve my pics!)