THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Shot the Biggest Deer of My Life

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shot the Biggest Deer of My Life

I copied this from the thread I posted on seatstaysup.com. Feel free to visit the site and comment on it as our outdoor section (of which I moderate) is kinda slow.
http://seatstaysup.com/forums/showth...947#post383947

Anywho-

Welp, we headed down to the lease the day after Christmas. I got into the stand that afternoon and settled in. We were in full rut as I had 3 hot does that did not leave the area the entire time I was there. I had mature bucks acting like total dumbasses with one thing on there mind. I'm pretty sure I got busted by one but a doe ran by in the nick of time and his attention was elsewhere immediately. I was hitting the antlers together off and on while I was in the stand and rattled up probably 9 different bucks. A few were mature but most of them were 2.5 years old and under.

I had caught a glimpse of my buck about 45 minutes earlier. About 30 seconds after hitting the horns together, he pokes his head out of the thick brush about 110 yards away. My heart went apey! Instant buck fever. He walked back into the brush and I thought I had lost him. 45 minutes later, I see him coming down the road I had fed with corn (legal in Texas). Two hot does were eating there but suprisingly he was un interested. He hangs around feeding for a while and then decides he is bored and heads out right infront of me about 80 yards out. I choke a half-*** cow call and let the .270fly. He ran 10 yards behind a mesquite bush and didn't come out the other side. I saw the bush shake violently and I knew he was down.

Enough campfire story. Here he is. He green scored 156 3/8" with a 25 3/4" inside spread and 34" of total mass. He weighed a clean 180lbs field dressed. He is by far the biggest deer I have ever killed/seen. I could not be more proud.

Sorry. Didnt get any pictures of the body unless I can get the pictures off of my phone. We didnt bring a real camera with us and had to wait till the next day for a friend to bring his. We are also under quarentine for fever ticks down there. We have to call the USDA every time we kill a deer. They send a guy out to pick over the cape and head for the fever ticks and then they spray both the head and the cape with a pesticide. Its nuts and kind of a PITA but its necessary.

It was strange because whenever he came out with his wide, dark rack and white face, my first reaction was, "There's no mule deer in South Texas....right?" Indeed he is a whitetail and I should have entered into the Big Buck contests in my area. I would have won the 8 point class by 10." Could have won a free gun! DAMNIT!

About our place: We are about 10 miles south west of Carrizo Springs, Texas. The biggest deer that has been killed off of our place was over 8 years ago and scored a whopping 164 and change. He was a main frame 10 point. Since then, the lease has changed and different members who are more conservation minded (my father and his friends) have taken over. The largest deer we have taken is a low 150 class 10 point. I killed the largest deer WE (out of all new lease members) have ever taken off of the place and it was a clean mainframe 8 point. This year's summer drought killed off some faun crop according to our and TPWL's deer counts. We were only allowed to harvest 1 mature doe and 1 mature buck this year. As a graduation gift, my dad gave me his buck.

I'm so happy. He is at the taxidermist right now and we will get him back in JULY. Anyways, thats my deer and I'm still dumbfounded.

Thanks,

Beau

Last edited by FarmerBeau; 01-05-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats nice man,ive never killed anything close to that size, im pretty sure texas has bigger deer than va though lol
Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
12 Second Truck Club

nice kill man. get that sucker up on the wall asap.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlt76028
nice kill man. get that sucker up on the wall asap.
its gonna look good on the wall, wish i could kill something like that one day
Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

You killed BAMBI nice buck.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice lookin buck man... iv never seen anything quite that big down here where i hunt...
Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice looking 8 !!!

probably one of the biggest i seen in a good while
Old 01-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by LsxCody
thats nice man,ive never killed anything close to that size, im pretty sure texas has bigger deer than va though lol
FOR SURE!!! The Texas state record 8 point went 182" and some change. I'm just proud to say that I did not pay for this deer. He was killed on a low fence and there has been NO genetic engineering. South Texas is a White tail hunter's mecca. There are much larger "natural" deer down there for sure.

In Texas, there are huge ranches (10,000 acres+) with high fences, biologists, genetic engineers, feeding programs, ear tags, etc. in order to produce the biggest, gnarliest deer possible. Its BIG buisness down here. I dont much care for it. They advertise in Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine and its really unnatural looking. I guess I just frown upon high fences. The deer are the property of the people of Texas. I guess if I owned 30,000 acres and had money coming out of my boots, I may sing a different tune, but for now, I dont like it.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Nice buck.

-Nate
Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome buck! Congrats and gig 'em!

Quick Reply: Shot the Biggest Deer of My Life