THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Shot the Biggest Deer of My Life

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
axis>white tail any day...

but there's nothing like a nice looking Texas 8 point rack
Agreed!

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ill probably never shoot anything to compare to this deer so Im a bit proud of it. 34ish" diamond horned axis buck in full velvet. Not a scratch on the velvet either, its going over my tv in my apt and when I get a hosue over the fireplace

He is awesome! WOW! Where did you shoot him (geographic location not shot placement. )? Also, is that a remington 700 or a sako?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right behind the front right shoulder

Bout 20 miles east of Rock Springs Texas. It was off a big game ranch, the outfitter that runs it owed my dad some favors from helping guide some hunts in NM so I got to go on a hunt. Theyve only been working on their axis for about 5 years now and theyre getting pretty nice. They only have a little over 200 on that large of a ranch. We had to hunt hard for that bastard too, took 3 days all day walking the cuts and valleys to find him again and even then I had a pretty decent shot.

The gun is a rem 700 .300 wsm rocky mountain elk foundation edition, only made em for one year(I think 08) my dad and I got two of them. It has leupold vxl 3-12x56 on it, I LOVE that scope.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats a nice Ax Cody... but youre one UGLY ******....
Old 01-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Thats a nice Ax Cody... but youre one UGLY ******....
The ladies seem to feel differently so Im fine with being ugly to men
Old 01-07-2010, 02:45 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Right behind the front right shoulder
DOH!!!!!

I'm looking for a new gun right now and I cannot make up my mind about the caliber. I haven't had any issues with the .270 but its not mine. I keep trying to buy it off of my grandpa but he won't budge!

I get flinchy (call me a ***** ) with the longer action rounds. I suck with a rifle in the first place but the suck increases with my hesitance. If I had my way, I would get a muzzle brake for a new .300 win mag and a 2lb trigger so I didn't have time to flinch. Suprisingly, I haven't been flinching lately. Maybe it was a phase but if a 200 inch deer stepped out infront of me, there's no telling what I would do.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

my ole Rem 700 .270 with some 150gr ballistics do fine WAY out there... downing one in the hill country about 300+ isnt an issue at all...

-formal range training helps though
Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 PM

I used to shoot a browning abolt 270 for years, now all I carry is the gun in that picture. The WSM has just as much knock down power and almost as good of ballistics as a regular 300 but with a shorter action and less kick. You dont need a muzzle brake at all. I can kill anything that walks the north american continent with it and not flinch. I killed my elk from 365yds with it in one shot and it even exited the deer and I shoot nothing but nosler partition ballistic tips. Its the best bullet Ive ever shot. Ive played around with a lot of different calibers(between may dad and I we own 54 rifles) and the 300 WSM is by far my favorite all around gun. My dad has killed a big mule deer with his WSM at 600yds so they have plenty of *** behind them for long shots if need be.

My dad has been hunting for 50 years and the four guns we carry in our tough case are our two matching 300 WSMs and our matching Weatherby 30-378s. The weatherbys are only used when we know we're going to be shooting 500+ yds otherwise I carry my 300.

If you ever have some time up here in my neck of the woods or I come down there Id be more than happy to let you take a few shots with my 300. You cant beat it IMO. The only thing better would be for it to have a browning action just because I like the safetys better and it has a quicker action. We've also got a lot of other calibers to let you shoot too, you pay for the ammo and you can shoot whatever you want

You want a kicking mule, try on my 338 remington ultra mag bolt action that doesnt have a muzzle break on it. It will break your damn collar bone if you arent holding it right when you decide to be stupid and just fire it at a target
Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Sexy Party Mod

I used to shoot a browning abolt 270 for years, now all I carry is the gun in that picture. The WSM has just as much knock down power and almost as good of ballistics as a regular 300 but with a shorter action and less kick. You dont need a muzzle brake at all. I can kill anything that walks the north american continent with it and not flinch. I killed my elk from 365yds with it in one shot and it even exited the deer and I shoot nothing but nosler partition ballistic tips. Its the best bullet Ive ever shot. Ive played around with a lot of different calibers(between may dad and I we own 54 rifles) and the 300 WSM is by far my favorite all around gun. My dad has killed a big mule deer with his WSM at 600yds so they have plenty of *** behind them for long shots if need be.

My dad has been hunting for 50 years and the four guns we carry in our tough case are our two matching 300 WSMs and our matching Weatherby 30-378s. The weatherbys are only used when we know we're going to be shooting 500+ yds otherwise I carry my 300.

If you ever have some time up here in my neck of the woods or I come down there Id be more than happy to let you take a few shots with my 300. You cant beat it IMO. The only thing better would be for it to have a browning action just because I like the safetys better and it has a quicker action. We've also got a lot of other calibers to let you shoot too, you pay for the ammo and you can shoot whatever you want

You want a kicking mule, try on my 338 remington ultra mag bolt action that doesnt have a muzzle break on it. It will break your damn collar bone if you arent holding it right when you decide to be stupid and just fire it at a target
I might take you up on that. I'd love to have a larger claiber. My roommate's lady friend shoots a 30-378. Thats a scootin little round! It should be at $110+ a box.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Yeah the Weatherby rounds are a bit ridiculous brand new at 130 out the door for 20 rounds, but we reload our rounds so it ends up costing us about 30 bucks a box now, or well until we buy bullets and powder again. From what Ive heard all reloading supplies have doubled over the last year or so.