THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Should I take this cop to court?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I take this cop to court?

Well heres the story, I was literally just putting along the trail (on my dirtbike)along this road when this cop comes up the road, comes off the road blocking the trail and cuts me off in the process and flashes his lights for me to come on over. So I park next to his door, he asks for my ID and registration and proof Insurance, etc, well I have my ID but no registration or insurance (because up here you dont need insurance on a 2 wheeled off road vehicle. He asks wheres my licence plate and registration, I say well theres no place to put my plate and the registration is at home. So he asks me "how do I know that your bike isnt stolen) at this point he has all my info pulled up on his screen, and my old registration for the bike, then he goes onto say that my registration has expired. And this cop was being a real idiot about it, like he didnt even know that I dont need insurance on a bike so who is he to be questioning people and issueing tickets when he doesnt even know the laws, yes I was in the wrong for not having an up to date registration be he still had my old registration on the screen so he knows the bike is registered in my name, cause he asked if it was and I said yes and the info all check out, so did he have the right or was it appropriate to issue me a 172 dollar fine and prohibit me from riding the bike ( he made me push the bike home). So should I bother taking him to court over the matter? plead guilty or not quitly? Or just pay the fine and forget about it? Like intially the cop had no reason to pull me over. So what do you guys think?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He never gave you a reason why he pulled you over? I'd at least write a letter to the presiding judge, and Cc the police officer.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't know how much different things are in NB but here if you go to court you will at least save a few bucks. You were in the wrong for not having the plate attached and expired registration but you can at least save yourself a few dollars and maybe get it written off if you get your registration up to date before going to court and showing the judge.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Tribe Shaman

well it depends.
1. if the bike was ever registerd as a street legal bike.
then yeah he is in the right because you had no inspection, no plate. no insurance.
but.
2. if it is a registerd off road bike, to be used off road only.
as you stated he blocked you off on a trail off road to come over to him.
then i would shove that ticket up his *** side ways in court.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

if you know any local attorneys (as in a friend that wont charge you for his advice) ask if the cop was out of line according to your local laws
Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trever1t
don't know how much different things are in NB but here if you go to court you will at least save a few bucks. You were in the wrong for not having the plate attached and expired registration but you can at least save yourself a few dollars and maybe get it written off if you get your registration up to date before going to court and showing the judge.
I agree trever.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plead not quilty...
Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

I would've ran
Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would of hit on him. Asked for his number. Kept pestering him about how good he looks in uniform. Asked him if he's ever been in a greek headlock. Of course my luck he would of responded with interest. sigh.

Almost all court lawyers will give their opinion for free. Almost all.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

IVE HEARD HUGGING HIM WOULD HAVE WORKED.... AT LEAST THATS WHAT BEAU SAYS

Quick Reply: Should I take this cop to court?