THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Small displacement turbocharged corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I think I will like it. Still a V8, so still gonna have a V-8 sound, but will SCREAM!!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one dont see the big deal. They said theyd keep the big block option open...

Yes, If I had a choice and could afford this new vette, Id choose the big engine model...but I wouldnt mind owning the smaller turbo'd one either. Guys will be slapping mammoth turbos on them in no time.

The comment section under that article is pretty funny. Filled with "Well Im a GM fan but if they do this I'll go to Ford...." Hilarious. GM never did anything so bad to me that I had to switch to Ford lol. Doesnt sound like true GM fans to me...I grew up Chevy, I dont know nothing else and would be a fool and unhappy to try something else. I think most people just want something to bitch about after a long day. As if most could afford the car either way
Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KDavis04ss
whats this world coming to? Seems like all america does is try to accommodate every one else but americans. the corvette is an AMERICAN muscle car. Why try to be like everyone else?
wrong, its a sports car.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A small bore big stroke high revving turbo engine just doesn't sound right to me.

I could understand a big bore small stroke engine, but not the other way around.

I think this is a good thing myself. Most people like to make their vehicle faster than the next guy, and I feel this will offer the ability to turn up the power much easier than a NA engine.

I am surprised of the negative feedback on this already. I could understand negative feedback on the Ecoboost, but I never heard anything bad. Maybe because the first I heard of that was a commercial where the truck was passing everything else loaded with a small displacement turbo engine.

Maybe it will be a flop, but then it would give those collectors a very desirable piece for a show collection. Lol
Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask the f150 owners that bought into the ecoboost and are spinning rod bearings left and right
Old 06-07-2011, 09:36 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ask the f150 owners that bought into the ecoboost and are spinning rod bearings left and right
haha really? I was wondering about those engines.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, they've only been out a couple months and there are quite a few people on f150forum getting new shortblocks with less than 10k on their truck. In the texas section on tech there is a Ford tech who has two with less than 5k at his dealership with rod knock. They're actually getting decent mileage and have great power but the failure rate is already pretty high. They're mileage really isn't any better than a tuned 6.2 but they do make a little more broad powerband. I know I'd be pissed if my 45k f150 platinum edition ecoboost truck was laid up at the dealer before I even made my first payment.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I havent seen the base engine problems out of them yet, but I have seen a couple coolant leaks to and from the turbos. The biggest culprit looks to be clamps that arent secured on the assembly line. the ones I have driven will catch you off guard if you get behind the wheel thinking "this is a full size V6 truck"

I'll have to look around in some of the ford Tech info and see about these problems. Hopefully here in the near future I'll be pulling one out, I'm ready to get my hands in one

As far as the 'vette goes, I think it will open them up to a different market and if the big V8's stay an option nothing will be lost.... why not take advantage of new technology?? There's also been talk of a direct injected 5.5L naturally aspirated V8 that is supposed to be using the architecture of the current GEN IV small block, and even with the smaller displacement will make more power than the current 6.2L across the board and be much more efficient... guess what that means, DI heads and intake setups will be available for us to play with yeah, at first glance and first read it may sound like a crazy idea but these crazy ideas are what make better parts and keeps the aftermarket fresh for enthusiasts like us.

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 06-07-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Editor

I think they'll make this small displacement boosted motor an available option and see how it's received. If it wins everyone over then I think the subsequent generations will head that direction.
I think it's a way of slowly introducing the small motors with factory boost to the Vette crowd before eventually heading that direction.
I don't know, I'm likely wrong, but that's my guess. Suppose only time will tell.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why dont they just turbo the current engines?
LotsOtorque..

427ci Turbocharged.. i mean low 9s wouldnt be hard to get if it could get traction

What was the last year GM offered a big-block OHV V-8 in the vette? the 70s?
LS7 is still a Small block..

Last edited by nonnieselman; 06-15-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Small displacement turbocharged corvette