THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Small displacement turbocharged corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont like the idea of it going into a vette. Put it in a camaro but not a vette.

And would this still be concidered a gm powerplant or is the motor imported and then the kentucky plant modifieing the car to fit?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the idea, especially since they will keep the other engine options. I'd be interested in seeing how the numbers and torque band stack up as well as if they are selling this motor with forged internals. This could be quite a fun car if built right.
And people are always reluctant to change, sometimes it can be good though.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^true. But if the engine in fact is imported the that will take away from what the vette is based off of. (Most powerful powerplants of gm production)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

I don't like it, the only thing that set the vette apart from it's European competitors and made it original was the American muscle v-8, it's an American icon why screw it up?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

with turbo technology on the rise with the variable vane this will be pretty sweet to drive , it still has a v8 which is awesome i just know high revving engines are usually short stroke large bore.

the mileage and broad powerband will be awesome , it will sttract more customers as mentioned , its a smart business move for gm without a doubt and keeping the other big cube v8 an option is even better.

this will make current z06's and 2010 cts-v's come down in price , daddy needs a new daily.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up The mystery small block V8 for the Corvette....

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
A small bore big stroke high revving turbo engine just doesn't sound right to me.

I could understand a big bore small stroke engine, but not the other way around.
That'll be the beauty of this engine, I think. Large bore, small stroke is common high rev engine design. The reason you look to an over-square bore dimension is normally to enhance breathing. With forced induction in the picture, that pretty much goes out the window. Note the 4.8 and 5.3 turbo engines making big power, and the 2.0 LNF turbo ecotec engines making big power.

GM builds a 1.6L turbo ecotec for use in the Opel Astra. I believe it comes with a 180 flywheel hp rating, pretty sure that is with a relatively low MAP pressure. If that's the case, and the way the article is talking about being just over 3L, I think we could be looking at a 3.2L V8 with the 1.6L geometry of 3.11" bore, 3.21" stroke, I'd bet these see 8,500 -9,000 rpm pretty easily.

Seeing what GM has done with a hot tune of the 2.0 LNF up to 340 lbft, and the 1.6 turbo coming in stock at 170 lbft, I'm betting that 30.7% increase /Liter could be applicable to the 3.2L V8. Hopefully we'll be seeing something with ~445 lbft and 470 hp (flywheel of course). Couple that with heads that have the capability of dual VVT like the Ecotec does (DOHC I know; if keeping the push-rods why not cam in cam?) and add the capability of AFM cylinder deactivation, this thing will be one high-tech and highly capable purpose built engine.

Being in a lighter car such as the Corvette should afford the AFM some purpose, as well as being able to hold 4 cylinder mode and modulate part throttle MAP closer to 101 kpa, which would up efficiencies by getting rid of some of the pumping losses at cruise. As Chase said above me, a VGT turbo housing would help tremendously with response. Heck, for that matter, make it a VGT + Twin Scroll, and set it up like BMW's 4.4L, so that the exhaust pulses are spaced exactly apart from one another.

I'm down if it's something like what I described, and I still get to shift the transmission. Only, it may take a couple years for me to buy one used as funds would permit. On second thought, I could go '07 ZO6 to tide me over....
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw an 08 ZO6 tonight for sale for 52K while me and the wife were browsing trucks. 5,000 miles on it, it was like a brand new car
Old 06-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy it. I'll believe it when I see it. Honestly, dohc was never a fuel mileage feature, and pushrod late-model Vettes (aside from the ZR1) do quite well with sipping fuel. I can see direct injection and more variable cam phasing stuff applied along with the DOD, but I really don't see a high-rpm 3.x H8. Rpm kills fuel mileage; if you have to rev to the moon when merging on the freeway I just see that going well for the brand. I understand that it will recover some torque from the FI, but still, I don't see it happening when a DOD VVT DI 5.5 OHV should be able to make 440hp and get 35mpg.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides, it isn't the engine that Corvette critics rip on; it's the interior and the unavailability of a sequential manual gearbox.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:00 PM
11 Second Truck Club

If it helps cafe standards to make a few vettes with a small turbo'd v8 so be it, they said that large cube V8's will still be an option. GM has to make "X amount" of cars that make a certian MPG, in order to be able to build "big" V8 cars. If they can do it, yet still make them perform well, and probably handle better then the previous model I am all for it. Corvette pretty much showed the world it can dominate the high end super car market with ZR1 that had 1/3 the price tag of the pasta burners. Now its time to make mid engine screamer and finish cleaning house!

Last edited by MPFD; 06-18-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Small displacement turbocharged corvette