THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Smart phones

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my 4s since Monday. I am baffled that you can't watch a flash video on this thing. Also I made the mistake of hitting the mobile view on this site, and had to download another browser as you can't go back once you hit mobile view. It is very weird to type on this as you will be a whole word ahead of the letters trying to catchup. The screen seems weird, sometimes I have to hit the screen 4 or 5 times for the touchscreen to accept it. I am laying in bed, and if I move to the side the screen changes views, and when I switch back, I have to scroll back down to the bottom. I like some things about this phone, and hate some things. I am still up in the air if I want to keep this or not. I really don't like the flash thing. I would just think this day and age you would be able to watch almost anything on this phone. I am also very surprised at how slow the response of this phone is. I wouldn't even be able to type at all on a regular 4 if this thing can't keep up.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No apple phone can play flash supported vids at this point. It will be something that is going to be worked in to the OS soon.. As far as the mobile view, you need to clear you history completely and go back and try it again.. The view at which the screen rotates can also be locked so it stays in one position.. If your beating what your actually typing then your phone has a issue, you have the tap sounds, vibrate taps on aswell.. I just pushed a single letter as fast as I could, it was rite on time..You still have alot to learn with that phone.. I will say they are not the best user friendly phones, but once you figure it out, it is a far nicer phone then a droid based one, IMHO.. I have had mine for well over a month, so far it is smooth as silk, not one lock up or anything.. My droid started to F up with in the first 2-3 weeks of using it alot..

Last edited by Mangled03gmc; 12-02-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't stand the fact that you can't take the battery out of the i phone. I love my Incredible 2 its rooted and plenty fast. Playing with my friends Iphone 4s it seems to lag a bit. When on wifi my inc2 runs circles around it. He constantly complains about the battery havin to charge it halfway through the day. My battery isnt great but i can complain it will go all day without a charge with me playing drag racing I also have a fully charged spare battery in my truck.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I bought one of those high capacity batteries for my incredible off ebay, and it gave me an extra 4 hours ish. The smaller one that fits inside the normal back. The way I use my phone I have about 24 hours of good run time on it.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:02 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
sometimes I have to hit the screen 4 or 5 times for the touchscreen to accept it.
Do you have a cover on your screen? If you have an OtterBox(or similar), you should remove the plastic screen protector, and not run it at all. It seems to get an "air gap" that puts pressure on the screen, and makes it work kinda funky, or not at all. Instead, get one of the type that glues right to the screen.

Oh, and x2 on everything Mangled said....
Old 12-03-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I doubt that the droid OS will ever run as smooth, glitch free as the apple-iphone OS runs..
I've nicknamed my MilestoneX (DroidX if you're verizon) the Iphone killer. The only time it ever screws up is when I drop it and the battery falls out.

Plus there's a lot of apps for free on the droid marketplace that aren't on the app store.

I can't type on the Iphone screen with my fat fingers, but on the droid I use swype, which made me nervous at first, but I grew to love it.

I think you had a lemon phone.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still fail to see why everyone keeps using the term "iPhone Killer"... there's a whole website devoted to it for Christ's sake. There's no other company on the planet on the planet, IMHO, that puts performance, battery life, reliability, software stability, ease of use, call quality, size, weight, style, and adaptability into a single package like Apple. The things I listed are in order of importance FWIW. As far as the whole removable battery thing, the iPhone isn't the only one doing it. The Moto Droid Razr also has a completely sealed in battery to cut down on the thickness (can be replaced with the same amount of difficulty as the iPhone 4[s]). I too agree that Android OS will never run as smooth as iOS does because Google keeps f-cking with it. They won't fix the features that they have already implemented because they keep trying to add/modify. Personally, the only problems I run into on the iPhone are when iTunes decides it wants to take a vacation from functionality.
Before Android OS, I was actually a huge fan of Google products, and I'm still thinking about buying a Chromebook. No offense to current owners of any Android phone, but the software sucks. I've had several different versions of Android (I believe I've used versions 1.6-2.3) and they've all been positively crawling with bugs (scripting errors, constant reboots, stock apps crashing, etc.) The only really cool thing about Android is its customizability and selection of free apps. I've used the HTC Dream (1.6) 2 HTC Evo 4Gs (3 dead motherboards) [2.1-2] and Droid X (2.2-3). I had generally the same results from all three phones. I had to restart each handset on a three day interval to keep them running smoothly, whereas my iPhone has now been running since June 2nd with no restart and no problems - other than about eight app crashes - all but one of which came from the web browser while switching in and out of private browsing mode. I also have fairly fat fingers and find it easier and more accurate to type on the smaller keyboard of the iPhone than the Droid X's much larger keyboard.
Flash isn't a selling point for me for three main reasons: one, 98.2% of the videos I watch are on YouTube (a Google service); two, flash games are usually not touch friendly, or at least the ones I play aren't; and three, flash allows for a few security risks if you don't have anti-virus software. On top of that, the computer geeks smarter than myself seem to be convinced that HTML 5 is going to out-mode flash.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but I feel as though everyone should be informed by someone who is unbiased: I like Google and Apple; I'm only biased against Microsoft and Research in Motion.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CollegeHumor

Speaking of siri

NOT WORK SAFE!
Not PG13 either...
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dewey
I still fail to see why everyone keeps using the term "iPhone Killer"... there's a whole website devoted to it for Christ's sake. There's no other company on the planet on the planet, IMHO, that puts performance, battery life, reliability, software stability, ease of use, call quality, size, weight, style, and adaptability into a single package like Apple. The things I listed are in order of importance FWIW. As far as the whole removable battery thing, the iPhone isn't the only one doing it. The Moto Droid Razr also has a completely sealed in battery to cut down on the thickness (can be replaced with the same amount of difficulty as the iPhone 4[s]). I too agree that Android OS will never run as smooth as iOS does because Google keeps f-cking with it. They won't fix the features that they have already implemented because they keep trying to add/modify. Personally, the only problems I run into on the iPhone are when iTunes decides it wants to take a vacation from functionality.
Before Android OS, I was actually a huge fan of Google products, and I'm still thinking about buying a Chromebook. No offense to current owners of any Android phone, but the software sucks. I've had several different versions of Android (I believe I've used versions 1.6-2.3) and they've all been positively crawling with bugs (scripting errors, constant reboots, stock apps crashing, etc.) The only really cool thing about Android is its customizability and selection of free apps. I've used the HTC Dream (1.6) 2 HTC Evo 4Gs (3 dead motherboards) [2.1-2] and Droid X (2.2-3). I had generally the same results from all three phones. I had to restart each handset on a three day interval to keep them running smoothly, whereas my iPhone has now been running since June 2nd with no restart and no problems - other than about eight app crashes - all but one of which came from the web browser while switching in and out of private browsing mode. I also have fairly fat fingers and find it easier and more accurate to type on the smaller keyboard of the iPhone than the Droid X's much larger keyboard.
Flash isn't a selling point for me for three main reasons: one, 98.2% of the videos I watch are on YouTube (a Google service); two, flash games are usually not touch friendly, or at least the ones I play aren't; and three, flash allows for a few security risks if you don't have anti-virus software. On top of that, the computer geeks smarter than myself seem to be convinced that HTML 5 is going to out-mode flash.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but I feel as though everyone should be informed by someone who is unbiased: I like Google and Apple; I'm only biased against Microsoft and Research in Motion.
At least we agree that Blackberry sucks.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

iPhone4 vs HTC Evo - YouTube

HAHAHA

Quick Reply: Smart phones