THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Swede could face huge speeding fine — up to $962,000

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

even and fair punishment would mean that the punishment should effect the person the same. Do you think bill gates would give two ***** about a $300 ticket? I know it'd throw off my budget for at least a month or so.

The guy was going 180 mph and he's probably a multi multi millionaire. It seems like a lot to us, but to him it probably equates to a $2,000 ticket.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

95% of the time people with big coin think they are better then the rest, so yah, that is a decent way of dealing with it.. If he is a billionaire, a mill to him is nothing
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thiems
Should a pack of bubble gum cost a wealthier person $3000 instead of $3 for the person with an average income?
I guess thats why the US is in the debt its in now...We have murders getting off for less $ than a small speeding fine! Just like tax brackets, the working class in the US is now paying for EVERYONE. This is the same concept as taxes, just used in abiding by the law. Which I think should be used over here. We could definitely get some roads fixed where I live if the city received 200K for a speeding ticket(vs my tax dollars)!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brent5631
yeah it should cost the guy a lot for the ticket. But penalizing people because they have money is a little ridiculous.
Originally Posted by wyttrash96
^^income tax?

this....
Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
this....

that....
Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTahoe
I guess thats why the US is in the debt its in now...We have murders getting off for less $ than a small speeding fine! Just like tax brackets, the working class in the US is now paying for EVERYONE. This is the same concept as taxes, just used in abiding by the law. Which I think should be used over here. We could definitely get some roads fixed where I live if the city received 200K for a speeding ticket(vs my tax dollars)!

BRAVO
Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skeet
Swede could face huge speeding fine — up to $962,000
He drove so fast in Mercedes that it took him nearly half a mile to stopAdvertisement | ad infomsnbc.com news services
updated 1 hour 15 minutes ago Share Print Font: + - One Swedish motorist could be facing a gargantuan speeding fine — up to $962,000 — after he was caught driving 180 mph along a Swiss motorway.

Police seized the Swede's driver's license and 570-horsepower black Mercedes-Benz after he was released from police custody,... He could face a penalty of up to 1 million Swiss francs — or $962,000 — depending on his income level, The Local reported.

In Switzerland speeding fines are based on the severity of the offense and the offender's income level.

Police said the 37-year-old motorist was driving so fast in this $240,000 sports car that it took him nearly half a mile to stop.

Swiss officials did not know if it was a record, but that it "looks very close to one," federal roads office spokesman Thomas Rohrbach told AFP.

"We have no record of anyone being caught traveling faster in the country," a police spokesman told Britain's Daily Telegraph on Friday.

The driver's explanation to officers: "I think the speedo on the car, which is new, is faulty."

A speed camera on the A12 highway between Bern and Lausanne captured the transgression.

Police said he had eluded being zapped by numerous radars en route simply because he was going too fast and they were unable to clock speeds beyond 125 mph. A newer camera perched along the motorway was able to snap his offense.

It's not the first time someone has had to pay such a hefty fine in Europe for speeding. And even lower speeds can generate big fines.

In January, a Swiss court slapped a $290,000 speeding ticket on a millionaire Ferrari driver who drove 60 mph (nearly twice the 30 mph limit) through a small village.

The head of Finnish communications giant Nokia was ordered to may a $103,000 fine for his speeding ticket in 2002. Officers pulled over Anssi Vanjoki on his cherry red Harley Davidson in Helsinki after he was clocked driving 47 mph in a 31-mph zone.

In Finland, traffic fines are also proportionate to an offender's crime and income level.

© 2010 msnbc.com
skeet, where's the link?

IMO, $103k, $290k, & $962k is just crazy, at least when u really think about what it's for. Speeding, albeit, excessively. I understand what u guys are sayin that it's a drop in the bucket for the filthy rich tho.

So I guess the Swiss think he's guilty of the offense...so much for being neutral.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
even and fair punishment would mean that the punishment should effect the person the same. Do you think bill gates would give two ***** about a $300 ticket? I know it'd throw off my budget for at least a month or so.

The guy was going 180 mph and he's probably a multi multi millionaire. It seems like a lot to us, but to him it probably equates to a $2,000 ticket.
Here's a secret: if you can't afford to pay a fine then you don't have to. It's as simple as that. Just don't break the law and speed.

Originally Posted by NightmareTahoe

The middle class isn't paying for everyone. The "wealthy" are paying for a vast majority of people. I think data in 2007 showed that the top 1% pay around 37% of the income tax and the top 10% pay around 68 percent. I doubt that the top 10% would be considered the entire middle class. Sure, the middle class feels the tax burden more but a lot of that has more to do with the luxuries they buy and trying to keep up with the Joneses which make them live paycheck to paycheck. Most Americans have an entitled attitude and have very little financial education which doesn't help our debt situation.

The US isn't in debt because of a sliding fine scale based on income. We aren't in debt because we aren't taxing or fining people enough. We're in debt because of uncontrollable spending. If we reign in spending then we can begin to reign in out debt.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thiems
Here's a secret: if you can't afford to pay a fine then you don't have to. It's as simple as that. Just don't break the law and speed.
Ok so don't pay the ticket, get a warrant for $1000, go to jail for 2 weeks, get fired from my job. Sounds like a valid argument
Old 08-12-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=thiems;4517674]Here's a secret: if you can't afford to pay a fine then you don't have to. It's as simple as that. Just don't break the law and speed.

The middle class isn't paying for everyone. The "wealthy" are paying for a vast majority of people. I think data in 2007 showed that the top 1% pay around 37% of the income tax and the top 10% pay around 68 percent. I doubt that the top 10% would be considered the entire middle class.

The US isn't in debt because of a sliding fine scale based on income. We aren't in debt because we aren't taxing or fining people enough. We're in debt because of uncontrollable spending. QUOTE]

I agree, and Im pretty sure those stats may be a hair on the conservative side, i Remember hearing some of them tossed around on rush ball

Quick Reply: Swede could face huge speeding fine — up to $962,000