THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Swede could face huge speeding fine — up to $962,000

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Ok so don't pay the ticket, get a warrant for $1000, go to jail for 2 weeks, get fired from my job. Sounds like a valid argument
My point was that you don't have to pay for a ticket that you don't get. If you don't speed then you won't get a ticket.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone speeds, so lets consider that a non issue. Hell even my Grandma got a ticket a few months ago for going 5 over and she's never gotten a ticket in her entire life. She's living off of her retirement, which isn't all that much. And now because of some ***** cop she had to pay the city ~$150 out of her fixed small budget. She could afford it and it wasn't a huge deal, but what I'm saying is that these straight cut speeding fines do not take into account how much it effects the person getting fined. If I made $10,000 a month, a $200 speeding ticket is nothing. It is not a deterrent from speeding, it does not make me not want to speed.

Yes a $962,000 speeding ticket is ridiculous, but do you think this millionaire will go out and risk peoples lives by going 180 mph on public roads again? I highly doubt it unless he truly is that wealthy.

Another example are sports athletes. Do you think they really care when they get fined $10,000 for using profanity on the field or something like that? A-Rod got a 2XX million dollar contract from the Texas Rangers when he was here. $10,000 is **** to him.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cops aren't out to protect & serve, anymore. Perhaps they were at some point, but that's changing nowadays. Some are, most aren't. That's why your Grandma got that ticket. They're all bout makin $. For the courts, judges retirement, yada yada. I've met some cool cops, know some. I've gotten away at times, also gotten blasted when I really didn't deserve it.

I know 1 cop who doesn't even wanna write tickets. He actually wants to protect & serve. And yes, I have a lot of respect for him, cause of that. Heck, he's gotten awards for all that he's accomplished, in terms of busting people (no, not speeders). Altho they (the city) prefers he write tickets, I'm sure, he prefers not to, & feels it accomplishes more for society & taxpayers by breakin down on "real offenders / crimes".

I'm not sayin doin a buck80, isn't insane tho.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-12-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Cops aren't out to protect & serve. Some are, most aren't. That's why your Grandma got that ticket. They're all bout makin $. For the courts, judges retirement, yada yada. I've met some cool cops, know some. I've gotten away at times, also gotten blasted when I really didn't deserve it.
I agree 100%. I have met some cool cops, and I have gotten away with some very stupid things that I've done while driving. But when that happens it is usually a cop that is not stuck on traffic duty. The traffic cops are the ******** but I understand they're getting paid to be ******** and give tickets, and it's nothing personal a lot of the times. But then you get the jerk that loves ruining peoples days and gets a high off of abusing his power and giving out tickets.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF you talking about Scott. I havn't ever known a cop to abuse his power..
Old 08-12-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

...and I have gotten away with some very stupid things that I've done while driving. ...
Most of which, you've videoed & posted up for us & others to see.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Most of which, you've videoed & posted up for us & others to see.
Those were all done in Mexico
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone speeds, so lets consider that a non issue. Hell even my Grandma got a ticket a few months ago for going 5 over and she's never gotten a ticket in her entire life. She's living off of her retirement, which isn't all that much. And now because of some ***** cop she had to pay the city ~$150 out of her fixed small budget. She could afford it and it wasn't a huge deal, but what I'm saying is that these straight cut speeding fines do not take into account how much it effects the person getting fined. If I made $10,000 a month, a $200 speeding ticket is nothing. It is not a deterrent from speeding, it does not make me not want to speed.

Yes a $962,000 speeding ticket is ridiculous, but do you think this millionaire will go out and risk peoples lives by going 180 mph on public roads again? I highly doubt it unless he truly is that wealthy.

Another example are sports athletes. Do you think they really care when they get fined $10,000 for using profanity on the field or something like that? A-Rod got a 2XX million dollar contract from the Texas Rangers when he was here. $10,000 is **** to him.
Speeding is a black and white line with a posted sign that says what the law is. There are no shades of gray. If you can't afford a $50,000 car, what do you do? You don't buy it. If you can't afford a speeding ticket, what do you do? You don't speed. I'll agree that it is a dick move for cops to be writing tickets for 5 over but the person speeding really doesn't have a leg to stand on since the law is clear.

It's been my experience that nobody I know that has gone dangerously fast (120+) in a vehicle doesn't ever take into account if they can afford it or not (regardless if they can or not). They just want the adrenaline rush. I'd be willing to bet that this wasn't about the money with the Swedish guy. He obviously has a car that is capable of such things and he wanted to enjoy it. It's just like how we blow the cobwebs out of our vehicles every once in a while.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by thiems
Speeding is a black and white line with a posted sign that says what the law is. There are no shades of gray. If you can't afford a $50,000 car, what do you do? You don't buy it. If you can't afford a speeding ticket, what do you do? You don't speed. I'll agree that it is a dick move for cops to be writing tickets for 5 over but the person speeding really doesn't have a leg to stand on since the law is clear.

It's been my experience that nobody I know that has gone dangerously fast (120+) in a vehicle doesn't ever take into account if they can afford it or not (regardless if they can or not). They just want the adrenaline rush. I'd be willing to bet that this wasn't about the money with the Swedish guy. He obviously has a car that is capable of such things and he wanted to enjoy it. It's just like how we blow the cobwebs out of our vehicles every once in a while.
But why should the fine be set the same for everyone? If the real reason behind fines for speeding is to deter people from speeding, shouldn't it be based on the effect it will make on the drivers wallet? I know it is really just to make the city money, but for those who aren't fortunate to make a ton of money, these fines are very heavy.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know it is really just to make the city money, but for those who aren't fortunate to make a ton of money, these fines are very heavy. TRUE!

Grady, Scott can be a weenie sometimes. OK, lots of times. While u both may make valid points, I won't dispute. My Q to you is this: How fast do u normally drive over limit?

Also, what's the most you've driven over limit? Same Q, but what's the most u ever got caught doin?

Also, somethin some may've overlooked. If you're lucky (sorta), & u just pay fine, OK. But, if there's court costs, if u go, ching.
Higher insurance too? Cha-ching.

Those other things just ratchet up the price of that adrenaline fix.

Quick Reply: Swede could face huge speeding fine — up to $962,000