THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Swede could face huge speeding fine — up to $962,000

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
But why should the fine be set the same for everyone? If the real reason behind fines for speeding is to deter people from speeding, shouldn't it be based on the effect it will make on the drivers wallet? I know it is really just to make the city money, but for those who aren't fortunate to make a ton of money, these fines are very heavy.
The fine is the same because income should have nothing to do with it. Should people who murder another person get less jail time because they've previously done a nice thing for somebody in the past over somebody who hasn't? Just because someone can afford something doesn't mean it should be a higher price for them. Again, the beautiful part about the speeding fine is that you'll never have to pay it if you don't speed.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thiems
The fine is the same because income should have nothing to do with it. Should people who murder another person get less jail time because they've previously done a nice thing for somebody in the past over somebody who hasn't? Just because someone can afford something doesn't mean it should be a higher price for them. Again, the beautiful part about the speeding fine is that you'll never have to pay it if you don't speed.
A capital crime is much different than a speeding fine... But yes people who have a clean record DO get lesser sentences when they commit more serious crimes. Probably not murder, but in other cases yes.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I know it is really just to make the city money, but for those who aren't fortunate to make a ton of money, these fines are very heavy. TRUE!

Grady, Scott can be a weenie sometimes. OK, lots of times. While u both may make valid points, I won't dispute. My Q to you is this: How fast do u normally drive over limit?
Depends on the time of day and place. Generally, I'll only do 5 over. However, most of the time in the morning I'm on the highway by 4:30am so traffic is minimal so I'll bump it up to about 15 over on the interstate. If I get pulled over I'll tell them the truth...there is no reason for me speeding. I accept the fine and pay it. If it starts becoming a financial burden then I'll stick to the speed limit.

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Also, what's the most you've driven over limit? Same Q, but what's the most u ever got caught doin?
The fastest I've ever been was ~170 in a 70 on the interstate. It had nothing to do with whether or not I could afford a possible ticket. The fastest I've been caught was 88 in a 65. The cop didn't even crack a smile when I told him I was trying to get back to the future. I was also 18 at the time. Again, I accepted my guilt and paid the fine.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

170?! Yikes! Was that when u had your truck.
Back to the Future...good one.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fastest I've been caught was 88 in a 65. The cop didn't even crack a smile when I told him I was trying to get back to the future.
What a *****, I wouldve laughed and probably still gave you a ticket but atleast reduced it some for the shear comedy of it.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Wow...Thats a new one to me!

I was leaving driving school for a ticket I had for racing my brother from a stop light. I was leaving the police dept and my bro comes by me and revs up and the same cop that taught me in the driving school pulled out and came after me and said I didnt learn my lesson and wrote me another ticket!!! WTF...I always get screwed by the law
Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most Americans have an entitled attitude and have very little financial education which doesn't help our debt situation.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NightmareTahoe
...I was leaving driving school for a ticket I had for racing my brother from a stop light. I was leaving the police dept and my bro comes by me and revs up and the same cop that taught me in the driving school pulled out and came after me and said I didnt learn my lesson and wrote me another ticket!!! ... I always get screwed by the law
Sorry, but that's funny & sad all in one. How the cop perceived it to be, resulted in a ticket. Stay away from your bro in traffic.

When I was 23, I was sitting at a light. I had a 5.0 LX 5 spd. Stang. There were 2 others. I knew they were racing, & while I wanted no part in that, I did what I almost always do when there's a quick ride or I wanna play - I left the lite quickly. No squeal or sideways. I got up to speed limit then let off. The sp. limit was 45 & I was doin 45-50 at end of ~1/2 mile. The other 2 were doin 2x that. He wrote me for drag racing. Unsure of what the others got, but 1 ot the 2 guy's said he knew I wasn't racing. Even tho I hired a lawyer, it was supposed to be knocked down to 5-10 over. I got pulled over 6 yrs. later, & the state boy said I had a DR ticket. Apparently, the '94 ticket wasn't put into the computer as a 5-10 over...after it cost me $350 for lawyer.

To this day, I never got it adjusted, cause I have the receipt from the police sayin 5-10. I didn't deserve that ticket (altho since then, at other times I'd gotten away w/. things where I shouldn't in other cities), can't stand that city's cops, & glad I don't live near there anymore.

As an example of getting lucky, once again in my 5.0, traffic stopped for a bit. Enough to cause me to be late for work. I went round a merge ramp @ 85, ran it to 105-120. I saw a trooper pulled someone over on an exit ramp (1 ramp earlier than I normally see him at). Just cause, I looked at the next ramp since I had a hunch (an entrance ramp), & sure as ****, there's a trooper. I broke it down from speed as soon as I saw him. He gave me a light flash, then turned em off. He knew, so did I. Phew! Luck was on my side.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-13-2010 at 04:57 PM.