THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Teaching a dog to ride in the bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teaching a dog to ride in the bed

Anyone who has a dog...What training/procedures did you do to teach your dog to ride in the bed? Ive always had an SUV. I just got a new truck and want to teach my dog to ride in the bed...

any suggestions?
Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Best suggestion I have is IF you love your dog, dont put him in the damn bed.

I see this all the time and do you really think its safe? If you slam the brakes on they are gonna go flying into the back of the cab. Or if you have to make an emergency lane change its gonna toss your dog around.

I know, you probably want to keep the inside free of dog hair/smell/mess. But just think about how unsafe it really is.

Sorry if Im ranting just seen too many bad things with that happen around my part of the woods.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't do that.....

If you do get a kennel and secure the kennel in the bed...
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Yep, dont do it. My wife is a vet tech, and i hear stories all the time abt dogs getting hurt badly or even killed. If a dog sees domething that it wants, natural instinct is to jump out and go after it. Please leave ur dog in a kennel in the bed, do not let it run around freely
Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buncha city boys

When they're little run a rope from bed corner to bed corner, then attach a short(like1') leash to their collar with a carabiner at the end, attach the carabiner to the rope. Whenever they get up on the wheelwells or bed side tap the brakes or yank the wheel a little and make them get down. My buddy's dog rides on the corner of the gooseneck trailer all the time, no problem.

I've seen a couple of them jump out before but if they're stupid enough to do that I don't want em around my family anyway. There's an old man back in my buddy's home town that his dog rides on the roof of his truck, or toolbox all the time. Been doing that since I've been in HS. Nothing wrong with letting your dog have fun in the bed except the drool marks down the bedside

If you get squirely enough to throw the dog out of the bed you're fucked anyway, a crate isn't going to save them. But what do I know, I'm just a country bumpkin who grew up doing it.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ak2007r6

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
buncha city boys

When they're little run a rope from bed corner to bed corner, then attach a short(like1') leash to their collar with a carabiner at the end, attach the carabiner to the rope. Whenever they get up on the wheelwells or bed side tap the brakes or yank the wheel a little and make them get down. My buddy's dog rides on the corner of the gooseneck trailer all the time, no problem.

I've seen a couple of them jump out before but if they're stupid enough to do that I don't want em around my family anyway. There's an old man back in my buddy's home town that his dog rides on the roof of his truck, or toolbox all the time. Been doing that since I've been in HS. Nothing wrong with letting your dog have fun in the bed except the drool marks down the bedside

If you get squirely enough to throw the dog out of the bed you're fucked anyway, a crate isn't going to save them. But what do I know, I'm just a country bumpkin who grew up doing it.
If they are dumb enough to jump out?? Most dogs don't know right from wrong till they are taught it. Just cause someone has been doing it for years and nothing ever happened doesn't mean it was a great idea to begin with. That's like saying I haven't driven with a seat belt for years but look at me I'm still ok.

As far as a crate, if you secure it like I mentioned I would think that would be the safest option for them.

Mine ride in the cab with me. Ya I get dog hair but that's part of being a dog owner....

Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

When I was younger my dad would put the dogs in the back of the truck...but never too fast for safety because I was stuck back there with them lol. But when there was a long trip or had to get on anything that state road speed or faster, either the dogs got left at home or were brought up into the cab.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

^Gorgeous dogs btw AK

I was kind of thinking going this route. I have a trasport kennel. Ive heard many negatives toward them just being free in the back of the truck. I have a spray in bed liner so the kennel should be pretty secure!

Shes my best friend! Meet Lucy!
Name:  B34EA6E2-2438-4BFC-9EE8-21522BC06F31-19402-00000FB5FE701F0E.jpg
Views: 3112
Size:  148.6 KB
Old 08-20-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Good looking pup. What is the breed? I like the markings.

Ya just my personal opinion but I wouldn't feel safe with them in the back at anything over 10 MPH.

I think taking the transport kennel and running a couple bungie cords or tie down straps to the bed somewhere to keep it from moving would be the perfect solution if you are not having them inside with you. I have considered doing that for when I take them to the lake cause lets face it no one wants their truck smelling like wet dogs.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Good looking pup. What is the breed? I like the markings.

Ya just my personal opinion but I wouldn't feel safe with them in the back at anything over 10 MPH.

I think taking the transport kennel and running a couple bungie cords or tie down straps to the bed somewhere to keep it from moving would be the perfect solution if you are not having them inside with you. I have considered doing that for when I take them to the lake cause lets face it no one wants their truck smelling like wet dogs.
Thanks! Shes a 10 month old CKC Australian Shepherd. GREAT DOG! I got her a little too early, so she was depressed/separation anxiety from her litter mates but she turned out to be amazing.

I let her ride in the SS but her 'crinkly' hair goes everywhere. So now that I have a brand new truck its hard to put her in the cab! She likes to stand up and look out the window.

Quick Reply: Teaching a dog to ride in the bed