THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Teaching a dog to ride in the bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTBSS
Thanks! Shes a 10 month old CKC Australian Shepherd. GREAT DOG! I got her a little too early, so she was depressed/separation anxiety from her litter mates but she turned out to be amazing.

I let her ride in the SS but her 'crinkly' hair goes everywhere. So now that I have a brand new truck its hard to put her in the cab! She likes to stand up and look out the window.
Ya between my golden having blonde hair and my lab having dark it's impossible to not have it show up anywhere for me LOL. The lab's hair isn't to bad to clean up but my goldens when it get's long is like Velcro to carpet.

Both mine are a little anxious when in the truck with me but they usually calm down pretty quick. My lab is a lover though and always want's to try and be close to me....

Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
buncha city boys

When they're little run a rope from bed corner to bed corner, then attach a short(like1') leash to their collar with a carabiner at the end, attach the carabiner to the rope. Whenever they get up on the wheelwells or bed side tap the brakes or yank the wheel a little and make them get down. My buddy's dog rides on the corner of the gooseneck trailer all the time, no problem.

I've seen a couple of them jump out before but if they're stupid enough to do that I don't want em around my family anyway. There's an old man back in my buddy's home town that his dog rides on the roof of his truck, or toolbox all the time. Been doing that since I've been in HS. Nothing wrong with letting your dog have fun in the bed except the drool marks down the bedside

If you get squirely enough to throw the dog out of the bed you're fucked anyway, a crate isn't going to save them. But what do I know, I'm just a country bumpkin who grew up doing it.
I agree. We have 2 blue heelers that ride in the bed of the truck and even on the tool box. They were trained young just as stated above with a rope just long enough to get to the sides of the bed and no farther.

I let my dog ride upfront with me and lay his head in my lap cuz he's and inside dog and doesn't stink like the heelers do.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i hate seeing people ride in the bed of a truck much less a dog (i like dogs more). the bed is just an unsafe place to be IMO. i dont consider myself a city boy...i just love my dog and wouldnt put it a situation that i wouldnt be comfortable doing myself. i dont ride in the bed of any truck unless i'm just in a neighborhood or something. around houston i always see dogs in the middle of an 8 lane freeway with baricades on both sides and the only way i can figure the dogs end up there is out the back of a pickup...or dumped in the middle of a freeway from dog fighters to make it look like an accident. theres just no way a dog can make it that far into a freeway from an on-ramp. my dogs do love hanging their heads out of the passenger window.

Name:  Picture003-5.jpg
Views: 2693
Size:  43.6 KB

and reason #1 is i dont want to risk my dog reaching over the side and scratching my paint
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

^^ That's my lab to a T. Always has to see what I am doing LOL
Old 08-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

adding to my last post. most dogs have the personality of a hyper active 5 year old. would you trust your 5 year old kid to ride in the bed of your truck? if your kid falls out of the bed of the truck will you think "if they're stupid enough to do that I don't want em around my family anyway." just a thought
Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Back in the day, our German shepherd saw another dog while leashed in a truck bed. Tried to jump out, never did that again..
Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
adding to my last post. most dogs have the personality of a hyper active 5 year old. would you trust your 5 year old kid to ride in the bed of your truck? if your kid falls out of the bed of the truck will you think "if they're stupid enough to do that I don't want em around my family anyway." just a thought
True though.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to get my blue heeler to go for truck rides never liked tthe truck always purged inside the truck and wouldn't stay in truck bed always got out before I could get in the truck. The cat would always hop in and go for rides plus would go possum hunting with me damn cat was better than the dog
Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

I like my dogs more than most people. They are like my kids. They ride in the cab with me just as though my kids would if I had any.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTBSS
^Gorgeous dogs btw AK

I was kind of thinking going this route. I have a trasport kennel. Ive heard many negatives toward them just being free in the back of the truck. I have a spray in bed liner so the kennel should be pretty secure!

Shes my best friend! Meet Lucy!

It's bred into that dog to know how to ride in a pick-up bed

Quick Reply: Teaching a dog to ride in the bed