THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Teaching a dog to ride in the bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody has to agree with me, I just know what works for me and when I get another german shepherd for my son in the next month or so itll be trained to ride in the bed. A kid and a dog arent the same, they mature at a much different rate. Apples to oranges, but whatever makes you happy. My dogs and my son mind better than most but theyve gotten their *** beat more than most. My dogs dont yap at people, chew **** up, make messes in the house or jump out of the bed of my truck. My kid isnt the one screaming at the top of his lungs at the restaraunt, tearing **** up, he listens and does what hes told 99% of the time. My methodology is simple, but I grew up simple too.

The dogs you see that jump out of the bed of trucks are the ones that dont listen to begin whether its their owners fault or their own, just depends. My buddy can yell at his dog on the gooseneck and he will lay down under the tractor or on top of the hay, or whatever is on it. Most of the city folk I see with dogs can barely keep them contained on a leash. Two different worlds I suppose, as long as youre happy with your dog thats all that matters.

Mine will keep riding in the bed and enjoying being a dog.

For the record it has nothing to do with cleaning up after them, Ive got a useless pug that is my lap dog/cuddle buddy that doesnt have his nutts cut and therefore oozes his future offspring on my leather seats, along with scratching the actual leather, that always rides inside. Hes not an outside dog, and doesnt enjoy it so he gets to ride in the cab. When it rains, or Im going on long road trips our foster shepherds ride in the cab with us. Dogs that are going to ride in the bed MUST be properly trained, and most people dont posses those skills. Not that its hard, just that theyve never be exposed to it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Exactly, most people dont have the patience to train an animal to obey us correctly.

However, its personal preference. I still couldnt let my dog (if I had one) ride in the back. MAYBE around town but definitely not down the road or on a trip.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My dog has rode in the bed since he was 6months old...Maybe even before that. Started by riding in my truck bed. I won't say how I trained him because someone would probably call animal cruelty people on me. BUT, my dog minds me and doesn't usually step out of line. I love my dog and if anyone ever did him any harm, there would be hell to pay if I found them...HOWEVER lol, he has jumped out of the back of my truck, going down the road, twice. It's part of learning. Just like we did stupid stuff growing up after someone told us not to and knowing it was a dumb idea.

He can also ride on a flat bed. Again, it took some "training" to make him stay, but he does it. I can take him to wal-mart on flatbed and tell him to stay and he'll never move, until its time to go and then he'll stand up for the ride home. He has jumped off once when I was pulling into a field because he seen a rabbit. Bailed off right as I was crossing the cattle guard. Apparently it hurt bad enough that he never cared to do it again.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

my dog listens better than most kids. obediance trained since he was 3months. it's not that i dont trust him to stay in the bed of the truck, i dont think the bed of a truck is safe for a dog/kid/adult/ANYBODY. I have never let anyone ride in the bed of my truck unless it was in a neighborhood or deer lease....and if someone tries to sit on the bed rail in that neighborhood/deerlease i give them a good *** chewing lol. sit your *** inside of the bed with the tailgate up MF! i dont want to feel guilty when your dumb *** falls out and lands on your head.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 8 month old pitbull an shes been riding around with me on my farm truck for the last 3 months an never jumps out untill i tell her to, i go 70 mph plus an no problem at all just gotta spend some time with them an train them right. she dnt even put her paws in the bed side never has an never will
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i see and hear of people doing it all the time. my dad had our rat terrior in the bed of the truck. lil ****** jumped up onto the tool box and rode for a mile or 2, then decided to jump up on the roof and ride. it was funny at the time because i was a kid we slowly cruised into a gas station and put him in the cab. that dog was half psycho anyways.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

thats her, just a pic i had on the computer
Attached Thumbnails Teaching a dog to ride in the bed-stella.jpg   Teaching a dog to ride in the bed-stella-1.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bedliner goes over the rails so I dont have to worry about them getting scratched
Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
My bedliner goes over the rails so I dont have to worry about them getting scratched
Mine does too! Im going to try both ways with my dog. Where I live everyone has their dogs in the back of the truck. She is a fast learner but she is VERY high energy, like most aussies. I know this can be a touchy subject for animal rights but an animal is not a human, although I love my dog like a child.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Only in the back for my dog.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48286038@N06/7831989720/http://www.flickr.com/photos/48286038@N06/7831989720/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/48286038@N06/, on Flickr

Quick Reply: Teaching a dog to ride in the bed