THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Thinking about buying first handgun

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about buying first handgun

Well as my 21st birthday is coming up, I have been thinking about what I would like to do/get, and the idea of purchasing a handgun has popped into my mind a few times.

I wanted to ask you guys (as some of your are professionals with handguns) what would be a good, cheap, reliable first handgun?

I will NOT be carrying this gun daily, so size is not a real big factor.
I will be using this gun for home defense, but the real purpose would most likely be for taking it to the range every now and then.
I do not want to spend over $1000, and would prefer the ~$500 range if possible.
I want a decent sized caliber gun, something with a bit of a punch, but at the same time not have to spend $$$$ on ammunition.
I also would like something with simple maintenance/upkeep as this will be my first handgun and need to get used to taking care of one.

I have been thinking about an XD40, or something of the like as a lot of you seem to like/use this handgun. Gimme your suggestions on what handgun you would buy for a first gun, which ones to stay away from, and what accessories I would need to purchase along with it (cleaning kit, etc). Also, where is the best place to purchase one? Stay away from Academy/Cabellas? Or is that a good place to buy.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You being in Fort Worth, go up to cheaper than dirt, they have a good selection of pistols.

You definitley can't go wrong with the XD40, I wont own anything smaller than a .45 but to each his own. I would say either the XD or a glock. Both reliable, and priced reasonable.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on buying a handgun.

For a GREAT first gun that is reliable and accurate, I suggest A TAURUS.

They are great handguns and priced well. Ive had one and it was a very reliable, accurate.

They make a nice 40. that is compact for carry or just in your console.

This day and age i suggest keeping a handgun accessable when your out.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the only hand gun I have and the only one I'll ever have. The rest are all toys

Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd recommend a revolver. You mention ease of maintenance and it doesn't sound like you have a lot of shooting experience. Revolvers are easier to master and ultimately more reliable and simpler to operate which is key in high stress save your *** encounters IMO. I have been shooting for years and own several handguns, polymer semi-autos, 1911's and revolvers. When I carry it is a revolver and a shotgun protects the house. Even though I've shot thousands of rounds through various guns I still like the plain simplicity and 100% reliability of a quality revolver. No they aren't as sexy as an autoloader but if the **** hits the fan I have ultimate confidence that it will perform. Not so confident in my under stress ability to get an autoloader in firing condition and it performing 100%.

I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog Pup in 44 special.

Irregardless of what you decide to get. Shoot the hell out of it. Know it like the back of your hand. It is useless if you can't draw it and shoot it accurately without thinking about it.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glock.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

The glocks and XD's are both quality reliable guns, smith and wesson M&P's are nice as well.
Go to a cabelas and hold them and see how they feel to YOU! dont buy one that doesnt fit your hand.
I would go with a .9 or a .40 for the cost of ammo and variety of rounds
Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

get a metal gun that makes big holes

cz97
ruger blackhawk .45/.45LC
s&w .357 or .44 mag w/5" barrel
Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love that springfield up there... that's gonna be one of my next purchases without a doubt. Without reverting this to an X vs. Y or an A vs. B thread, I'll say the .40 is a good defense round. Most LEO's are using that now, but since your not limited to choices a .45 is also worth looking into, just realize there's quite a bit more snap to it when shooting. Your best bet isn't just going to the store and holding them, go to a range and rent a few different handguns and actually shoot them. Shoot different calibers, find out what ones are manageable and what ones are only tolerable for you. As was said by sonoma, Glocks and XDs are both great, neither are over complicated. I've never personally been a fan of revolvers, but they're about as reliable as you can get. Their only tradeoff is lack of rounds they can hold. 5 or 6 rounds in a revolver vs 10-15 rounds in most modern semiautos. If you buy a 1911 in .45 they'll still only hold a few more than a revolver, but they're dead sexy so it doesn't matter anyway

Another thing, if your NOT going to carry it, don't go for a compact or a subcompact. The tradeoff for accuracy, especially with beginners isn't worth having a shorter barrel (lack of accuracy and experience+stressful shooting situation= holes in walls). I have a much harder time hitting smaller things at ~25 yds with my 3" barrel than I do with my 4" barrel. With a 5" barrel it's much easier. Again, shoot them yourself at a range somewhere before you buy, you'll only thank yourself for it in the end. Just because a gun fits your hands nice, doesn't mean the controls are well laid out. Again, with practice nearly any handgun can become second nature to you, but are you going to dedicate practice time to it?

Please, take some kind of instructive courses too. I don't mean just the NRA certified course to get your permit. Go online (your already there lol) and look up different defensive shooting courses. Most ranges won't allow you to move around and engage multiple targets, a good course with knowledgeable instructors teach you how to do that correctly and safely. Since you said this handgun is for home defense primarily, I highly recommend doing these courses. Last but not least, I also recommend eventually getting a shotgun for HD purposes. An 18.5" barrel mossberg 500 is really cheap, and once you have your shotgun for the house, you can look into getting your concealed carry permit and have your handgun with you at all times.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

im a beginner and i just bought a s&w sigma .40 cal. So far i Love it! I can't compare it to anything else because i haven't shot that much. But for the price its great to learn good form and practice going through some shells! I bought it used and it has never had a FTF event with the previous owner(about 800 rounds).

Good luck with your search, there are so many guns and too many opinions. Best thing to do is go out with some buddies and shoot different guns and see what you like!

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying first handgun