THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Thinking about buying first handgun

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by L33Z71
The only sub-compact I've ever really held that I liked was the H&K USP. Most of them just don't fit my hands and I hate when my pinkey hangs off the end. You might look also at the newer XDM's. 19+1 for the 9mm is hard to beat.
Ya the short handle wasn't that great, but you can buy magazines for them that have the extra room for your pinky. I want to take a look at a full size XD40 when I go to cabellas in the next few months. My birthday is in June, so I'll have plenty of time to do some research
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Ya the short handle wasn't that great, but you can buy magazines for them that have the extra room for your pinky. I want to take a look at a full size XD40 when I go to cabellas in the next few months. My birthday is in June, so I'll have plenty of time to do some research
The sub compacts come with a 9rd and a 12rd with a extension to close the gap. Same 12rd mags as the Service and Tactical models.
I put a Springer Percision trigger in my Service Model and it is sweetness!
3# pull with no overtravel/pretravel and very little movenment to reset.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
How much does it cost to go to a range and rent say 5 guns for 30 min or an hour?
Originally Posted by MikeZQ8SS
Not sure really, but I just searched TX in where to shoot and came up with this:

http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Ran...subresults.asp

This filtering the search for places that rent handguns and allow you to shoot. I don't know your exact area... but this should give you a decent place to start with lol
U could try this, I didn't even know it existed, so I hilighted it more for me to later refer to than u.

Scott, round me it's $19/hr range fee; only $13/ hr if you're a member. They throw in 6mos. if ya buy a gun over $400. U can rent by 1/2Hr too. I rented a .357 & my bro a .44. That's how I arrived at my pick of a S&W .357.
Then + rental gun price to that. $25 rental + ammo. additional guns on same day are $20. Ya gotta use their ammo on rental so u don't use hot loads. Oh, here 21yrs old to rent. Limit:.44Mag on handgun range. Otherwise, 6 mo. membership is $100. Hope this helps. PM me if needed.

Anyway, if a revolver, it'll keep the price down near the $500-600 range. Semis, I'm partial to Kimber. Custom features at a good price. They're the leader in 1911s, & are who everyone is tryin to duplicate. Colt; those XDs people on here love, so that could be thrown in too. Beretta. Those all fall $1k, well...depending on how fancy. You don't need the laser grips handle IMO, more $. Get a full size piece too.

If it takes 20 shots, just give intruder the gun & let em shoot you cause ya clearly don't deserve to have the piece. :nunchuk1:
Old 03-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L33Z71
The only sub-compact I've ever really held that I liked was the H&K USP. Most of them just don't fit my hands and I hate when my pinkey hangs off the end. You might look also at the newer XDM's. 19+1 for the 9mm is hard to beat.
USP's don't come in a sub-compact flavor. You must be referring to the P2000SK.

Originally Posted by fastnblu
A .45 won't stop w/. 1 shot. Do tell.
There isn't a handgun round in the world that will stop a person in 1 shot, unless it is a nervous system impact. I have read reports and seen first hand that people can be shot in the heart and still keep going in upwards of 60sec. Adrenalin is a interesting double edged sword. It's one of the reasons you are taught to shoot to stop the threat, not shoot to wound.

http://www.thegunzone.com/quantico-wounding.html

Last edited by BOSS302; 03-10-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOSS302, I'll check that out later. Just curious. I've been to range a few times, & so on. But I'm no expert on stopping power, I just know I don't wanna be on the receiving end of a .357, .45, .40 or 10 mm in no order. Even smaller, cause I don't even like a cut finger. I'm a wuss like that.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a sub compact so you can carry it easier if you decide to get a concealed handgun license. From your "video" posted a couple weeks ago you look to be about my size and the inch shorter barrel believe it or not makes a big difference especially if youre carrying it in a SOB holster.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BOSS302
It's one of the reasons you are taught to shoot to stop the threat, not shoot to wound.

I just love when people say shoot them in the knee caps.

They cant hit the side of a barn if it runs into them but they insist on shooting the knee caps out.. Good luck on that one junior...
Old 03-10-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Get a sub compact so you can carry it easier if you decide to get a concealed handgun license. From your "video" posted a couple weeks ago you look to be about my size and the inch shorter barrel believe it or not makes a big difference especially if youre carrying it in a SOB holster.
the grip makes the biggest difference..

XD Subcompact and LCR

Now look at how far the grip sticks out on the Service model.

Its harder to hide...

They all will hit where they are aimed when the trigger is pulled
Old 03-10-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOSS302
USP's don't come in a sub-compact flavor. You must be referring to the P2000SK.

Check that, you are correct, I guess I meant the compact model USP.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

get anything yet

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying first handgun