THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Thinking of buying a Challenger.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a Challenger.

I've been looking for a 6-speed F-Body for a while now with very little luck. Every car I've looked at was either a steaming pile of **** or the seller wants almost as much as a new car. With employee pricing, which includes the Challenger R/T, I'm more and more tempted. I've been looking around and talking to salesman and it looks like I can get a 6-speed R/T with the 20s for around 27k, maybe as low as 25k. Seems pretty cheap to me considering it's a brand new 376hp car..........

I love the new Camaros but they are going to cost a good chunk more for a similar car from what I've seen. Not to mention I'm hesitant to buy the first year of a new car. I like the G8 too but I want a 6-speed and the GXP costs way too much.

For the record, the truck probably isn't going anywhere.

Someone talk me out of buying a Dodge.........

Last edited by Frito Bandito; 02-07-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a tough one...

Devil's advocate...1st year production, so it might have some issues. It's a Dodge.
You could get the G8 GT- alomst same HP (6 less, IIRC), plus more passenger space, and all the same GM upgrades.

Have you thought about a GTO?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The engine isn't LS architecture and that's enough for me to not buy a dodge. Plus, personally I don't find the charger good looking at all. But given the fact that you do want a manual trans, I don't know what to say. I'm sure you could get a used C6 vette for that price range. Have you considered one?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Get it... those are great looking cars.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buzzkillwill
That's a tough one...

Devil's advocate...1st year production, so it might have some issues. It's a Dodge.
You could get the G8 GT- alomst same HP (6 less, IIRC), plus more passenger space, and all the same GM upgrades.

Have you thought about a GTO?
agree i am friends with the owner of the chevy place here and he has even told me too never buy a new car thats in the 1st year of production because majority of the time they will have issues and by the 2nd year they will have worked out there issues so i'd wait until next IMO
Old 02-07-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is actually the second year of the Challenger, but 08 models are automatic only.

I LOVE the G8 but unless you get a GXP they are automatic only and the GXP is overpriced liked a ****. I actually like the GTOs styling less than all the other alternatives I've mentioned and they all seem overpriced for some reason. I do like the GTO though and will probably look at them more. A Corvette would be nice but I don't see many nice ones in my price range, not to mention insurance is a lot more.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by aksz71
agree i am friends with the owner of the chevy place here and he has even told me too never buy a new car thats in the 1st year of production because majority of the time they will have issues and by the 2nd year they will have worked out there issues so i'd wait until next IMO

yep and they also seem too add a little more like nicer interior more hp, in the next couple of years
Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

G8 ftw
Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I hate my cats

I'd say if you really like the Challengers, and have no problem affording one, go nuts dude! I can't see the problems being anything any gearhead couldn't handle. There's a couple rolling around my area now, and other than being about 2 inches too tall, I think they're bitcin. On the other hand, the G8s are kick *** cars, and you can't mess with the LS engines. If the price on the GXP scares you, buy an auto and a Viper spec T56! Void that warranty!
Old 02-08-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

G8 GXP is too expensive.

You guys really aren't talking me out of this damnit, lol. I'll definately look at GTOs more, an LS2 would be fun for sure.

Damn Dodge, why did they have to build such a cool car............

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Challenger.