THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Tony Stewart kills another racer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
... I love how everyone calls into question his past etc... Every driver gets pissed about getting out into the wall, it's the nature of the beast. Hothead or not, I doubt he'd intentionally run into/over someone. He's got too much on the line and knows there's cameras that don't blink. I just don't see him doing that.

It kills me when something like this takes place and everyone takes off running ...
Ben, expect anyone's past to come up if there's any negative in it. Positive too. I don't believe Tony would intentionally. And ya, cameras are on all whether it's human eye or electronic.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a mutual fault. Tony doesn't have the best record as far as tempers go and it looks like the kid let his get the best of him. He should have never gotten out of the car and approached a moving vehicle. I can't really blame the incident on Tony, as the guy before him could have just as easily hit the guy.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:50 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
This.....

Extremely unfortunate but it looks like Stewart tried to avoid him. In the end it looks like the 20yr old's emotions and poor judgement cost him his own life.

That's why you wait till you're in the pits and duke it out!!!!
X10 !

It was a freak thing , it's too bad the kids temper got him killed , he put himself in harms way . Also on the lap before tony barely got into him , the deal was all just racing.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Been saying this all along. Simple physics of these cars. The shaky video I seen it looked like he turned right and accelerated.
You turn left and accelerate the back end swings to the right.
You turn right and accelerate the backend swings to the left.
Knowing the right rear sticks out so far, he turned right and accelerated to dodge him, not hit him..
I drove a dirt car for several years and I can tell you visibility is very poor. You have a couple stacks of tear offs on your face shield, you have dust and dirt everywhere, inside/outside your face shield. You may see the guy plain as day, but when your on the track you have lights every and you have the lights glaring off the track and your face shield. Then you have the car and the track, that track may look smooth from the stands but when you get out on it can be rougher than ****, you have the sheeps foot they use on it and then whatever ruts develope in the track. At racing speeds these cars are really smooth, but when you slow them down it's rougher than **** and your bouncing around. Then add the sideboard of the wing that blocks your vision in your 1 o'clock - 2 o'clock position. Add all these up and the guy is in a black suit that matches the color of the track. Looks like a recipe for a guy to get ran over

Last edited by dirt track racer 81; 08-11-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Also another thought. He simply was accelerating to avoid conflict.. I've seen helmets thrown, I've seen steering wheels throw, I've seen huge dirt clods thrown into cars, hell I've even seen guys throw themselves thru the passenger window..
Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I was looking forward to you chiming in on this one. Thanks for that perspective
Old 08-11-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres my take on it..... you can go back and forth forever about who is at fault and never really have a 100% solid answer, but theres no arguing who could have prevented any incident from happening. the kid made a stupid choice and it cost him his life. its terrible that it happened and how it happened, but just like Tyler just said, the visibility in a situation like that, for Tony, is beyond poor so why the hell did the kid that got killed go running at the car?!?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

watching it on my monitor gives a little better view. i agree with sprayedenali.

and be honest, who would purposely try and run someone over with a audience present. nobody is that dumb.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have watched this video over and over. Some of the things I noticed is that Kevin Ward comes down the track extremely far (not that he should be on the track at all). It actually looked like he was going to step in front of the 45 car (the one directly in front of Tony), then stepped back. It looks like the 45 car had to swerve as he thought this was too close. Tony was even higher up the track, and if 45 was that close, he would have been in his line. Tony may have very well not have been able to see him. If you watch the slow motion video, you can see Kevin Ward trying to jump out of the way, and you can see the rear end of Tony's car sliding to the right(or the front end turning left, I can't tell because of the video). Then you can see Tony's car move in the other direction so his front was traveling right and his rear was traveling left. That could have actually been from hitting Kevin Ward. The video moves so quickly it is hard to see this at normal speed. Either way this is a tragedy for everyone involved. I can not see Tony maliciously hitting someone, if I had to guess he more than likely didn't see him until it was too late. Hopefully the Ward family and friends will be able to cope with this loss, and hopefully Tony and his family and friends can get through this too. Thanks for the perspective from a racer Tyler, I have never even been on a track myself.

Here is the slow motion video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XvhrPu64Co
Old 08-11-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea in that slow mo you can definitly see tony is headed left to avoid him and then goose it back right to avoid the *** end from hitting him. Looks like he did everything he could to miss him. Sucks to see **** like this happen.